PDA

View Full Version : oil

Knarf0486
05-05-2005, 06:31 AM
hey guys i jsut got an 02 400ex a few weeks ago and i jsut did my first oil change. i changed the filter drained all the oil, including from the case, and then added 2 quarts of 10w-40. when i started it back up it sounded like it was idling higher, and got real hot. it also had a sort of ticking sound. i ran it for about 7 min but the ticking sound didnt stop, cuase i was thinking it was the oil pump cycling the oil into the engine. so i shut her down and havent started it since.
one guy told me when you do the change the oil from the case too you need to add more than 2 quarts he said about 2.4. does this sound like it'll solve my problem. any suggestions im jsut being careful cuase im not about to blow my motor. thanks

TC426EX
05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah, the stock specs are between 2 and 2.4... I just add 2 quarts and then a bit more estimated, thats all. I dont think the .4 youre possibly missing would create the problems youre describing. The quad should run fine on 2 quarts, and every time you do an oil change youre supposed to drain the crank case as well...

blakefoote
05-05-2005, 08:54 AM
try to set your idle tune it down a little. But the ticking sound could be any thing.
to tune the idle there are two bolts you can turn on your carb. one is directly on the carb. one is rite beside the carb. and it is closer to the motor.