PDA

View Full Version : New Solenoid, now it wont stop cranking!!

throwinitup
05-04-2005, 06:30 PM
hope someone here can help me out..thanks guys!

hello, i bought a new solenoid for my 400 b/c the old one was junk...well it had a different connector on it so i cut it off and spliced the yellow w/ red tracer to the matching wire on the harness and the other one was green with a yellow stripe and i put that to the yellow wire with the green stripe - this seemed the most logical way, seeing how 2 of the 4 wires are identical.

ok so thats good to go

so i put the battery and ground cable onto their correct terminals and the bike wont stop cranking.. like the solenoid is shorted out or somethin. BUT, when i leave the cables off of it, and i hit the ignition switch, the solenoid clicks like it is operating correctly..

also, the starter is working fine, i can start it by grounding out the circuit...

so whats goin on here? thanks a bunch!!!!

throwinitup
05-05-2005, 05:21 AM
bump :confused: :confused: :confused:

wilkin250r
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Obviously your solenoid is not hooked up correctly, or it is not the correct solenoid, or the solenoid is bad.

A solenoid is like a switch (much like the light switch in your house), except it is activated by electricity instead of flipping it manually with your finger.

Here is a simple explanation of How a Relay Works (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay.htm) (a solenoid is basically a big relay). This link will tell you what is going on inside, and if you understand that, you can probably figure out what is wrong with your solenoid.