PDA

View Full Version : Likes dislikes

watts85af
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I really want to get a yfz 450. I heard that they sometimes bogg out or run bad if wet like even dew in the morning, Have any of you had this problem. I want the bike to ride on trails , and feilds and maybe race in a year or so. What do you all think. Plus can you all tell me your likes and dislike about this bike?

VIGILANTE MAN
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I only have one complaint in the few times I've ridden mine. It's the heavy carb spring & thumb throttle ergonomics. ( I guess that's two complaints.)

Bill Fuller
05-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I have never had a problem with my YFZ in any water.The thumb throttle can be fixed easily by swapping with a Honda,preferabley a TRX 90.The only real dislikes I have about the YFZ is the swing arm and the air filter assembly.I have since replaced my swing arm with a Houser round style and I replaced the airbox with an aluminium airbox that excepts a 250R Uni filter.Some people complain about the stiff seat,I did to when I first got mine but I don't even notice anymore.As far as likes,electric start is the main one for me(thats why I bought the Yamaha over the Honda)great power to weight ratio.To ME it feels like riding a 250R,ergonomics are excellent even for a 6 ft tall rider.I'm sure someone will jump in and say the Honda is the better trail quad,but I can't see why.The YFZ is the best ridding/handling quad I have ever ridden.You will not be dissapointed.

DieScarred
05-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Likes, you probably hear those all day. Dislikes, nothing.

The stiff thumb throttle you get used to in like a day, well atleast I did.

Kennethyfz450
05-04-2005, 07:56 PM
billl, can you feel me in about the trx90 thumb throttle modification?

Bill Fuller
05-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Most Hondas use the same throttle assembly(90,300,400...etc).The only difference in the TRX90 throttle is that the thumb piece is about an inch longer than a 400 or 300.It's almost like riding with a thumb saver.

Duncan313
05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
No problems from my 04 YFZ I have always run the lights though. I run a twist throttle. I don't like the fact that the air box has to be removed to get the rear plastics off. The tank and other components are eaisily removed for maintenance and cleaning. Brakes, suspension, motor, and controls are great. Stock tires bad, Razr II good.

05-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Most Hondas use the same throttle assembly(90,300,400...etc).The only difference in the TRX90 throttle is that the thumb piece is about an inch longer than a 400 or 300.It's almost like riding with a thumb saver.

Are you talking about the actual thumb throttle? I heard there is also something you can do to the carb that really helps. Do you know anything about it, my local mechanic is charging me $150.00 for the fix!

Likes = Handles awesome, plenty of power, and looks badass!

Dislikes = Throttle. Way to stiff.

sampleez
05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
i wouldn't pay that much!!! baldwin does a carb mod for like $30-40. a guy from yfzcentral.com had his done, and said it's pretty sweet

Bill Fuller
05-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Your local mechanic is ripping you a new one(if you know what I mean).Yes I am talking about the thumb throttle assembly from a Honda.The stock YFZ cable bolts right up.As far as the carb spring mod,I have yet to do it since the Honda throttle works so well.The are a few threads at www.yfzcentral.com about different solutions to the stiff throttle.

sylvan56473
05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
I have found that the actual position of the thumb throttle itself makes a difference. What I did was loosen the 2 screws that hold the throttle on and twist the top towards you so that your thumb is fully extended when wide open. My thumb hasn't hurt since.
The best thing to do is just barely loosen the two screws and twist the throttle around until it feels comfortable to you. Then tighten back up.

Doak450r
05-06-2005, 11:44 PM
i've ridden a couple of friends of mine yfz's and i think they are great quads they have alot of power and they handle very good i think if your just cruising around the suspension is kind of ruff but thats just my opinion. most people think the seats uncomfortable i didnt think its that bad its a quad deal with it also i didnt think it felt cramped either and im a little over 6 ft and i weigh 250 so im not the smallest kid in the world. all in all i really like the quad and this is coming from a 450r owner.

Bill Fuller
05-07-2005, 07:15 AM
What a plesant suprise to hear a Honda rider agree.Both the Honda and the YFZ are excellent quads.For me one just had kick start and the other had electric.Bottom line is I'm old and lazy,I have dealt with kick starts before and swore them off forever.

Thanks Doak450r;)

Doak450r
05-07-2005, 12:16 PM
yeah no problem i just dont want to be like most of the people in here and tell this guy that the yfz sucks and to get a 450r or vise versa i could care less i own the quad i have because i like it better thats how everyone should choose and not just go by what people say. reliability on the yzf's havent been much of a problem either on both of the quads the only thing that went wrong was the waterpumps and yammi covered them both.

tucson450r
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
A true ATV enthusiest can find pleasure in all quads, I to am a 450r owner and I really enjoy getting the opportunity to ride all of the different machines in our group. The yfz is stiff competition in any race. It all amounts to cubic dollars as to who wins the race, you can always buy more HP. Go with the bike that you feel comfortable with and not with one that somebody tells you is the best. Your paying for it so you should feel the best about the decision.

SRH
05-15-2005, 09:10 AM
i love the filter setup how can you not like it? you never have to worry about filters falling off and what not like with the 250r/400ex. its the same setup all dirtbikes use too

a battery box solved having to remove all that stuff to take the fenders offi can leave my airbox and battery in and remove my fenders