PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Problem

300EXRD
05-04-2005, 07:21 AM
I have a freind with a 93 300ex and when you are in 4th or 5th gear wound out it cuts out and misses. We have tried switching parts from a strong running 300ex of the same year but nothing has fixed it. Does anyone have an idea because i do not know what else to do?

bwamos
05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Basically when running 3/4 - Full throttle in those gears I would assume.

Sound like you're running lean.

If nothing has been changed (pipe/bore/etc.) or the pipe has been taken off (have to replace the crush gasket) recently then you probably just need to clean out the carb. Otherwise, sounds like you need to adjust the jetting.

A good test is to choke it about 1/4 of the way and see if it runs any better. ;) If it does then it's lean.

Worse case it's the stator jacking up. Not likley on a 300ex unless you've been in the stator case. If so open back up and make sure you didnt have and of the bolts back off on the stator.. it will cause the same thing because it loses contact at high revs.

bradley300
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
my 300x's stator came loose inside the side case and had similar problems, i would check that before you spend money on anything else. all you shoul have to do it tightent the bolts back up, make sure you loctite them

300EXRD
05-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I'll check the stator tonight.
As far as it running lean i have cleaned the carb on it and switched it wit 2 other carbs one from another 93 and one from a 98 no change. Ihanks for the help and keep the ideas coming if you guys can think of anything else.

300ex73
05-07-2005, 07:39 AM
What kind of mods does the quad have? Aftermarket pipe? Air filter? Airbox lid removed? If you've got the basic power making mods done to it, then you may just need to get the jetting all dialed in. I know I had a lot of trouble getting mine set up, but it runs good now, still a little cutting out, but it's mainly at the top of the rpm's, when the powerband is almost gone anyways. That's usually when the rev limiter is doing it's job.

But, if you know the elevation of where you live, and what has been done to the quad, then that would be a good starting point for getting something figured out, as long as it is the jetting that is not right.

300EXRD
05-07-2005, 11:39 AM
it's all stock no mods

ethanp87
05-07-2005, 02:29 PM
try the two wires on the side off the clutch cover switch them and see if that does any thing.