PDA

View Full Version : rev boxes and battery

duke416ex
05-04-2005, 07:10 AM
What can you do with an aftermarket rev box to keep the battery from running down? Is there a circuit you can cross or anything?

Rico
05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
What can you do with an aftermarket rev box to keep the battery from running down? Is there a circuit you can cross or anything?

A rev box won't run down a battery....:huh

duke416ex
05-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I meant that a lot of boxes I have heard of don't charge the battery properly. I have one that was taken off b/c it wouldn't charge the battery and it wasn't just one bike it was 3 different bikes. I think it was a magnum box.

bwamos
05-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Your CDI (rev) box, should have absolutly nothing to do with your charging circuit. Only way it would run your battery down is if you didn't turn it off and left the ignition on for like a week.

However you're running a cannondale wich is EFI, so I have no idea how the circuitry is run on that thing.

Kinda like asking why turning on you're stove makes your water faucet run slower. ;)

cals400ex
05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
some of the rev boxes just make the bike hard to start. a gt thunder one you won't have problems with though. his mild curve box does start and idle a little better than his aggressive curve one but the aggressive curve one does provide a nice throttle response gain and i can still start my bike in winter. i hea the TC and the big gun boxes don't make it hard to start either, but i don't have any experience with either of these.

duke416ex
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I was just checking, all I know is that I have heard complaints of it not charging with some boxes. This box in particular I know of it being ran on three bikes, my bros and 2 of my buddies and all three started fine at first, but after a while of riding the battery would go dead. But after they charged the battery and put the stock box on they were fine.

bwamos
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Odd.. perhaps it's running a hotter spark than stock and the Stator can not keep up. If so you may need some additonal windings put in. (common problem w/ dune lighting).

wilkin250r
05-04-2005, 03:21 PM
The ignition system and the electrical system are generally isolated from each other, so a hotter spark should have nothing at all to do with the battery. Likewise, any lighting system should have no effect on the spark.

bwamos
05-04-2005, 03:35 PM
You are correct. They are on usually on seperate winding sets.
I've only ever seen a couple odd motorcycles w/ the ignition run off of the battery instead of having a seperate ignition area in the stator. I doubt the Cannondale does this since it is a newer quad.

wilkin250r
05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
There are a few aftermarket ignition systems that use battery power, either the on-board battery or their own dedicated battery. But that is because they are not only providing hotter sparks, but also multiple sparks, and the exciter coils on the stator simply don't supply enough energy.

I have no idea about the Cannondale system, but I'm curious, why do you mention it? He has a both a Cannondale and a 400EX in his sig, but there is no mention in his post that he is refering to the Cannondale.

duke416ex
05-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Yea, I forgot to mention that I was referring to the 400, I guess the best thing to do is just put it on my quad on see if I can work the bugs out. Maybe I can find a number to the manufacturer and see what they say. I just don't want to tbe in the middle of a hare scramble and the bike not start b/c of a dead battery, or for any reason for that matter.