PDA

View Full Version : Driving safety

I-7
05-03-2005, 07:00 PM
This may seem weird to some of you or you might call me an idiot about this. But anyways, I had to take some defensive driving class on Monday and the teacher was pretty out there I guess and she was telling us that more than 50,000 people die a year in car accidents in the US. They say its the 3rd biggest death causer next to heart disease and cancer. Out of that 50,000 so people, 90% of them die of head injuries. So I kind of thought, why not require all drivers to where some kind of protective helmet. Call me stupid about this but when the seat belts first came out it was an option and people thought it was ridiculous to have to wear them. Now that they see how it can save your lives, they think its ridiculous not the wear them. I think if they made helmets mandatory that people would eventually get used to them and it would save lives. Of course I don't mean a motocross helmet or something because you wouldnt have a good field of vision but some kind of protection for your head. Also many deaths are from basically getting crushed in the car. If the car companies spent extra money building cars with roll cages that arent as bulky as racecar roll cages but enough to protect you in a roll over don't you think that would help. And with the rollcage maybe reinforce the sides and front and rear of the car. I mean in NASCAR and stuff you have cars smacking into walls at 200 mph and the drivers end up without a scratch many times. We can get crushed hitting another car head on going 30-40 mph. Its just a thought because the teacher said there is nothing we can do about the deaths except to stop driving. Just stating an opinion and I'm sure many of you will think im stupid :blah:

Stevie-D
05-03-2005, 07:11 PM
good ideas, but they will never happen. i was thinking along the same lines a while back. one day i was driving in my pickup and i thought what would happen if i rolled the truck on its side with the window down. my head would be ground beef. sure a helmet would help, but it is rather unpractical for everyday driving. newer vehicles have side curtain airbags. but what about people like me who can't afford a new vehicle?
the only thing to do is drive safely. but even that isn't enough. you can control yourself, but you can't control other people out on the road.

chucked
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
because a helmet will not help when you hit something at 65 mph

lil400exman
05-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I think all vehicles should require a 4130 (minimum) full vehicle cage........around legs and in the door as well. It may be spendy but im willing to pay it of it means my life!;)

400exrules
05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
yah how many women would wear a helmet.........their hair would be too much of an issue

Syrus
05-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah how many women would wear a helmet.........their hair would be too much of an issue

I was just about to say that lol..:p