PDA

View Full Version : elka vs works

gwroregon
05-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,

I originally ordered some nice works shocks. They are going to cost about 950.00. My dealer said that they were back ordered and that he promised he could get some elkas within two weeks. This set of elkas are going to cost 1400.00. My question is this:how much better are the elkas going to be? Are they 500.00 better? Obviously I am not a pro so I do not expect the best. I do race some and enjoy catching some nice air. I think the works will be great but I don't want to regret not getting the elkas. What do you guys think?

thanks

ramp rida 55
05-03-2005, 07:22 PM
in the long run youll be glad you went with the more expensive shock

Out_Sider
05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
what series works are they? the new Works G4 are the best shocks i've seen in a LONG time ;)

xrxmxcx
05-03-2005, 07:43 PM
anyone ever hear of PEP using works stuff, that tell you something about works, i run them and im 100% satisfied with them

btw, pep just fiddles with compression and valving, and using larger resevoirs and specializing in lt setups, atleast thats what ive heard word on the street is

honduh440
05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
I ran works on my 440ex for 2 years now i have a 450r and have elkas. every since i have been telling myself how dumb i am for never buying elkas. i seriously was in "aw" after ridding on the track with the new elkas.

even if works were 25 dollars i sware on my life i would still pay the full price for the elkas

TBD
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
anyone ever hear of PEP using works stuff, that tell you something about works, i run them and im 100% satisfied with them

btw, pep just fiddles with compression and valving, and using larger resevoirs and specializing in lt setups, atleast thats what ive heard word on the street is

The only parts that PEP used at one time was bodies, ends and shafts. Works valving consist of a orifice style piston with check balls and springs. PEP uses a piston with shims as far as I know. You should also look into TCS shocks. I know they don't have the appearance of Elka but there piston flow design is excellent and Todd does a great job with valving. I have used them before and never had a problem with them.

desratt
05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
the series of shock has a lot to do with it.

elka makes bottom end shocks as does works. like you usually see from works . but works also makes down right serious race shocks as does elka.

I have been racing pro for about 4 years now. and gladly use works.
I use the pro series with remote rez up front and ultracross out back.
they do have quite a few options out though

hondaracer305
05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Id definatly go with Elkas, they are one of the top shock manufacturers out there and they are proven over and over by the top pros of the business, id go elka if i were you man.

QuadJunkies
05-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Ive had both shocks and I would have to go with Elkas Bar none .

05-04-2005, 06:34 PM
elka for sure

450r51
05-06-2005, 04:00 PM
never buy the works shocks i used to have them on my 400ex and i was oh 7 races into the season and i landed in the flats and all of a sudden i hear something snap. the whole god dam* spring just cracked. thats y i will never buy works again. i will strictly stick with elkas and custom axis