PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Knarf0486
05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
hey guys i got a 400ex about a few weeks ago and i performed my first oil change today. i drained the oil from the reservoir and from crankcase. i also changed my filter. after tightening everything up and filling it up with oil i ran it for about 3-4 minutes. i then topped off the rest of the oil. i put in total about the 1.95 quarts that is recommended. i made sure my oil filter was in the right way and everything else was set.
after running it for a few more minutes i noticed it was getting very hot. a lot hotter than usual. so i killed the motor and havent started it since. i put spectro motorcycle 4 stroke 10w-40 oil in it. i put a genuine honda filter in it, and there is no oil leaking from any of the bolts.
it also seemed to be idling at a higher rpm and making a sort of ticking sound. im wondering if this was the sound of the oil pump cycling the oil but i dont think it should have taken that much time. i then tilted my quad on its side to make sure oil was cycling into the filter and it looked fine. i hope im jsut freaking out and nothing is wrong but i jsut wanted to be sure. anything will help. thanks

JDiablo
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
when you drain all the oil and crankcase to,you should run the quad for a bit,then check your oil again,i bet your low,just fill it up a bit more

Knarf0486
05-03-2005, 05:39 PM
i put almost a full 2 quarts in today. could it still be low. i got an 02 ex.

JDiablo
05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
yea when you empty the crankcase and change the oil filter basically all the oil gets emptied
I can almost bet you that it is that,just go out and check the oil tank,see if you need more,i bet you probably have to put in .5 of a quart still i think you need to fill it up to 2.4 when you do the whole nine yards with the oil,im putting in right about 3 quarts with my oversized oil tank

Knarf0486
05-03-2005, 05:53 PM
sounds good man, ill try adding a little more. however when i checked my dipstick it showed that there was plenty of oil in it. i jsut got back to school right now so im not gonna be able to do this tonight.

huffdaddy_400EX
05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Did you clean the little filter screen at the bottom of the oil reservoir? This can get dirty and if it does it will prevent oil from flowing smoothly from the reservoir to the engine.

Knarf0486
05-03-2005, 06:43 PM
no i didnt. how do i go about doing this. it didnt have a problem before i changed the oil though.

huffdaddy_400EX
05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
It's just a thought. If it got plugged up that would restrict oil flow to and from the motor.

You'll need to drain the res, remove the bottom oil line (the one the runs from the res to the motor), unscrew the connector from the res...there is a wire strainer inside...this could be clogged.

This is just a guess...I would at least check it...good luck!