PDA

View Full Version : Do my shocks need a rebuild?

awsomeaussies
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
I got some works tripple rate shocks w/o rezzies.... when they compress they don't rebound very good. They don't look like they've been abused cause they look pretty good.... there 4 years old and I don't know if they just need a nitrogen refill or if they need to get rebuilt. They don't leak at all.

NacsMXer
05-03-2005, 03:18 PM
You should definitely get a rebuild if those shocks are 4 years old. Shock manufacturers reccommend a rebuild after every year assuming the quad was regularly used. It's also a good excuse to send your shocks to Santo Derisi, the Quadshop, or C&D because they will be able to valve them much better than they came from Works. The external appearance of the shock doesn't matter, it can look brand new but the valving, oil, and nitrogen could be completely worn out. Just depends on how much use the shocks have had.

05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
It is always good to keep your shocks in good working form depending on use of the machine. In cases of desert racing and Cross-country most manufactures reccomend a service and new seal after every serious race like that, in the case of motorcross sometime u can get by a little longer because of shorter motos but the risk is always there. Unfortunatly with works shocks most are non revalvable in the case they have a ball a spring set-up not a shim stack. but you are able to service those shocks. regular service on shocks are needed such as changing oil in your motor, you have a moving piston in the shock that causes oil breakdown and eventually wears out. a service is definatly needed and most companies provide nitrogen with the service of a shock i personally would not just recharge nitrogen being that the shock is four years old and the rebound circut is not performing correctly.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
If your shocks are not rebounding correctly you have a few possible problems. low on oil, low on nitrogen, or the bushing in the stock seal head has expanded causing it to drag on the shaft ( we see this allot with works shocks as they get older) Either way it is time for a service and inspection of all parts.

FTR250Rnif
05-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
If your shocks are not rebounding correctly you have a few possible problems. low on oil, low on nitrogen, or the bushing in the stock seal head has expanded causing it to drag on the shaft ( we see this allot with works shocks as they get older) Either way it is time for a service and inspection of all parts.
how much does it cost for you guys to go trough my shocks? i also have works triple rates btw...

400exracer511
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
i would defineitley get them rebuilt cause i had a set of works triple rates and i think i let it go to long and i BENT the shaft on one over like a 10ft double not a hard landing either