PDA

View Full Version : Signs that you need a new timing chain

LazeR
05-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Well i have an '02 400ex, and i haven't replaced anything internally, and i was wondering how to really tell besides taking it apart to see if i need a timing chain ? I know that it will start ticking, but how loud ? Cause i have the normal valve ticking, but its always done that.

BLEEDRED
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
You would have to open it up and look at the guides. I don't think you will see wear on the chain, but it will be streatched. I personally would wait until you are rebuilding it or replacing the cam. You have to pull the top end including the cam and then the right crank case cover to get to the guides and replace the chain. If it aint broke...

bwamos
05-03-2005, 02:39 PM
assuming you are running a stock '02 and don't have an agressive cam + heavy valve springs, etc.. there really is no reason to worry about it. Cars go 120,000 miles or approx 3000 - 4000 hours of driving before you have to replace them.

You most likley don't have more than 300 hours on your atv.

Only time you'd need to worry about it is if you have had any major top end work done wich adds more stress to the chain causing it to wear out a LOT faster.

I've got a 1998 330ex w/ major engine work done to it and it is till running it's stock timing chain w/ no signs of fatigue. Not Stroked so haven't had to open up the cases.

Besides you're riding red.. stock Honda engines are about as bullet proof as you can get.

FoxRacing81
05-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

Besides you're riding red.. stock Honda engines are about as bullet proof as you can get.

Wish I could say that for mine...Mine's been in the shop 3 times so far..

One way I could tell when mine was bad was that it ticked...not the normal valve tick...it was alot louder and it would tick even when it was cold..not after it warmed up....too bad I didn't replace mine in time....but if you don't hear anything out of the ordinary or feel any engine change...don't worry about it.

-Justin

TC426EX
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I say replace it anyway. You can get a CRF 450 cam chain that is twice as beefy and fits perfectly for 25 bucks from service honda. If you have any doubts about it, just change it since its so cheap and easy to do....

2001400exrider
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Wish I could say that for mine...Mine's been in the shop 3 times so far..

One way I could tell when mine was bad was that it ticked...not the normal valve tick...it was alot louder and it would tick even when it was cold..not after it warmed up....too bad I didn't replace mine in time....but if you don't hear anything out of the ordinary or feel any engine change...don't worry about it.

-Justin

what do u mean "in time" mine has that LOUD tick that u can hear standing 10 feet away... and wondering if i should replace mine..

LazeR
05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was just kind of curious, i might just replace it when i have the money for my 416 kit. Which hopefully isn't to far away.

bwamos
05-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a good time to replace it. ;)

To the guy above. Check to make sure you have proper clearance on your rockers. Also make sure you're timing chain hasn't jumped a tooth or two (if it has you want to change the chain anyway). It could be rocker noise or blowback noise from early timing.

Get your pistion Top-Dead-Center w/ all valves closed and make sure the mark on your cam sprocket is parallel to your cylinder (assuming Honda used similar markings on the 300 and 400).