PDA

View Full Version : adjustable cam sprocket

duke416ex
05-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Are they any good, is it better to have a sprocket or to just get a rev box, also if anyone has one, what do you degree it at? Are they hard to degree?

BLEEDRED
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Can you just slot the stock sprocket?

duke416ex
05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I wondered that too, I have seen it done on street bikes, so I figures you can do it on a quad. I just want to know the advantages.

rap686
05-04-2005, 12:10 AM
yes you can just slot the gear but you will need a degree wheel
and the understanding of what you are trying to do to do any good.
In general advance cam: moves max torque to lower rpm.
Retard cam: moves it up. This is only a few hunderd rpm and does not change max power just where it happens.
This has nothing to do with adding 1000 rpm or so to your rev limit

duke416ex
05-04-2005, 07:09 AM
I understand it doesn't change the rev limiter, I just wondered what it did to power and if it was worth messing with. I am going to install a stage 1 hotcam and just thought of trying it.

wilkin250r
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't recommend changing the cam timing unless you REALLY know what you're doing. An adjustable cam sprocket generally isn't used to change the cam timing, but rather to set it back correctly if it has been changed by some other factor (gasket thickness, timing chain stretch).

If you want higher RPM power, don't change the cam sprocket, change the camshaft itself. Get one designed for more top-end. Obviously, vice-versa if you're looking for low-end power. Get something that is properly designed for what you are looking for, rather than changing other parameters to find it. A hig-rev camshaft is going to perform much better than a mid-range cam retarded for more top-end power.