PDA

View Full Version : piston and cam rebuild ?

lxmiker
05-03-2005, 12:34 AM
well my 02 400ex started to smoke a little bit mainly at high rpm. so i am gonna rebuild it. i will probably hone the cylinder if it looks good and do new piston and rings, and cam, however, i dont know what i should go with. i was thinking a weisco 11:1 and maybe a stage I hotcam...... or maybe a new stage II hotcam??? anyways i run a foam filter and no lid....otherwise completely stock. i am gonna do some exhaust sometime but i dont want anything too loud. but heres the deal, i dont wanna lose any bottom end power. what combo should i go with here? anyone know the stock compression ratio off hand? anyone know what the difference between the stage I and new II and stage III (old II) hotcams?

thanks!

cals400ex
05-03-2005, 12:48 AM
stock compression is 9.1:1. i would probably do a je, ross, or cp piston, but that is just me. if the 11:1 wiseco's are flat tops i would consider that too. if your burning oil at high rpms, your cylinder may need more than a hone. you could simply bore it to a 406 which is .040 over (+1mm). the stage 1 cam will provide gains everywhere. we have ran this cam and it did make nice power. however, the valvetrain is very loud with this cam so we changed. the new stage 2 i don't believe anyone has trid yet. it should be inbetween stage 1 and stage 3 for the power curve. the stage 3 is more of a mid-high rpm screamer. this is one all of my buddies prefer for our riding style. i wouldn't get it for woods riding though. i am not sure what to tell you on a quiet pipe. i know many people say "such and such" is quiet with the quiet core in but in reality nothing is going to be near as quiet as stock when your romping on it, well from what i have heard anyways.

lxmiker
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
anyone know how to get one of these new stage II hotcams?

cals400ex
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
i would call up C&D and ask them. make sure you specify the new stage 2 though. if they don't know anything yet, cal hotcam themselves.