PDA

View Full Version : Using Hondabond for base gasket?

plkmonster2
05-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Ok, for whoever has doen this, I need a complete run down. Which one do you use? I believe Hondabond HT? How thick do you apply it, how wide of a bead, and what do you use to apply it? i've done a lot of silicone jobs, but I want to be exact on this one. Is this a foolproof type of job? I know not to go too much. Will it leak oil? Any other problems? Thanks!

plkmonster2
05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Also, I am going to run a Standard bore Ross 10.5:1 piston. Can I use a XR400 head gasket with no base? How many layers is the XR gasket? Will I blow it out? Thanks.

cals400ex
05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
i have used this hondabond on 4 motors now. not one of them have leaked. we covered the whole base but not too thick. a thin layer seems to be enough. none have leaked any oil. a xr400 gasket or a thin cosmetic flexsteel head gasket should be fine. i would run all 3 layers of one of these thin gaskets. it is always advised to check the piston to valve clearance when doing this but i didn't on any of these motors. we haven't had a problem but would probably do it if i did everything all over. none of our head gaskets blew when using all 3 layers.