View Full Version : Painting Plastic

shorty1
05-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I want to have my plastics painted but I am afraid that it is going to come off right away. I know it will probably eventually rub off. Does anyone have any brands that has worked for them? The good thing is that the painter is doing it for free, family friend, but either way I don't want my quad to look like crap!

bwamos
05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
A lot of painted customs use clear plastics and paint the backside of the plastic (Like a RC Car). I know Fullbore makes clear plastics.

44oEX
05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
I painted my plastic, it hold up ok, but it's not as good as real coloured plastic. it will come off where your boots rub, and if you crash the paint job is gone.

shorty1
05-05-2005, 11:27 AM
My husbands uncle knows all kinds of people in Yuma. They have a guy that custom paints all of their cars and he is going to have flames and all kinds of stuff painted on my bike for me. The good thing is that we know it will eventually come off but it was free anyway.

shorty1
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I never thought of getting clear plastics and painting the other side. Good idea! My plastics are red so they were going to paint different color flames on certain parts of the bike.

Mxjunkie
05-06-2005, 06:46 AM
I painted mine with the krylon fusion plastic paint, I'm not putting graphics and all the spots where it would come off (tank) I left bare so I can touch it up once the time comes if it chips.

Mxjunkie
05-06-2005, 06:48 AM
If you prep your plastics right, cleaning, then you will have to sand them I recomend 320grit sand paper then clean them off so there is no dust (causes lifts) then paint it :)

bwamos
05-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by shorty1
My husbands uncle knows all kinds of people in Yuma. They have a guy that custom paints all of their cars and he is going to have flames and all kinds of stuff painted on my bike for me. The good thing is that we know it will eventually come off but it was free anyway.

If you're just doing accent painting.. then you can get some clear vinyl (number plate/tank protector material) adhesive sheets (thin ones) and cut them to size and put them over the graphics to protect against scuffs in high wear/vulnerable areas.

blaster_rider68
05-07-2005, 05:57 PM
id save the time and order new plastics..............but im also wicked lazy:D