PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

paharleyman2001
05-02-2005, 08:20 PM
For the engine guys out there please help me out
my 400ex 02 has a knocking sound in it I rode it for a few minutes on saturday and it got worse it started to smoke a little last week and that also has gotten worse. I bought it from a guy who had no idea what he had and what to do with it I assume it needs a valve adjustment it is running really rich tried to fix that but I have been out of it for a few years and all know how has been forgotten. When I got it home I changed the oil and the plug all seemed good until last week the. I filled the oil over just a tad would the cause the smoking? It has never been tuned up or had the valves adjusted so I am taking it in for the first tune up since it was bought the dealer said he would do it for 125 bucks. But can someone please explian to me what or why it is smoking and knocking so bad. I would like to get it fixed before I go to Iraq in late August early September

THANKYOU VERY MUCH
CHET U.S MARINES

2muchquad
05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
if you over fill the oil that can cause excessive smoking,usually a rod is the cause of a knocking noise.if that thing has never been tuned up,thats a possibility,i know its a honda but 3 years with no maintainence is a lot of neglect,even for a honda.good luck to you fellow soldier:)