PDA

View Full Version : cam questions

LI400EX
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Looking to get some power from my 02 400EX. Have Wb E-series slip on with a K&N filter, I also modified the airbox a little by drilling some holes in it. Am I going to see significant gains in my mid range and top end power by adding a cam, and putting in the jet kit White Bros sent me with the pipe? Also and suggestions on cams.Thanks

sloppyjoe
05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
go with the stage 3 hotcam for mid to top range gains. yes u will see a good increase in power.

2muchquad
05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
dont get carried away though,you WILL lose lowend if you go too radical.there is no free lunch,dont listen to anything different.my buddy tried some hot cams in his 440ex against my advise,sure he gained some much needed over rev but its not the fastest way through the woods.(he races gncc)he currently runs a xr400 cam instead.:D go with a big cam and off idle wheelies are history:)

BLEEDRED
05-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Am I going to see significant gains in my mid range and top end power by adding a cam, and putting in the jet kit White Bros sent me with the pipe?

No.

Everything adds a little. Best bang for your buck is going to be a high compression piston and a cam. Depends on how you use the word signigicant...

OldYellow
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
I am putting a 416 with an 11:1 J&E piston, and was curious what cam u guys think i should get. The stage 1 or 2, i ride a lot of trails, slowly but surely though i am riding more and more tracks, and might start racing. Let me know what u think.

LI400EX
05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
why you saying no?

TC426EX
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
The cam will help, and the jet kit will just make it run right. Youre taking the top end apart to do the cam already, so you really should look into adding at least a stock bore 11:1 piston as well. They are cheap on ebay (about 100 bucks) and will give you your "significant" difference with the cam. Pistons and Cams are done together as a general rule....