PDA

View Full Version : help my engine messed up

One_Bad_400
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
my 400ex is forsale and this weekend i tok it on a ride down the gravel road behind my house to go fishing and to take my fishin stuff back there... and when i was coming back i was hearing this loud ticking noise so i wanted to get home as soon as possible... and then my engine just my a big klunk sound... and shut off... and i dont knwo what it is and i know my dad is goin gto get FURIOUS with me because we're trying to sell it... any one know what it is...

im not smart with engines at all but my guess is that the cam chain or timing chain or w/e might had fell off(if it can)... and when i hit the start buttin it just makes a horrible sound??!?!?!

DIRTtrackLEGEND
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
good luck wrenching.

One_Bad_400
05-02-2005, 05:58 PM
well.... i guess so... i cant go to far into a 4stroke engine... i aitn know nothing aobu them... i can go threw a 2-smoke but i havent tried a 4

can a cam chain or timing chain or w/e even fall off

DIRTtrackLEGEND
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
well.... i guess so... i cant go to far into a 4stroke engine... i aitn know nothing aobu them... i can go threw a 2-smoke but i havent tried a 4

can a cam chain or timing chain or w/e even fall off

i believe it can. I never had much time to do much wrenching, i was the once pinning the throttle and looking for the checkered flag ;)

there probably are some good manuals to help you

good luck

PEACE

DtL

Pvt. Maggot
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Could be lots of things, cam chain tensioner could have went out causing the cam chain the fly off, could have dropped a valve "hope its not that you'll be needing alot of parts" could just need new rings, or a bore and piston rings and gaskets, only way to find out is tear the motor down, if you can rip down a 2 smoker motor, you can rip down a 4 stroke, there alot different. but its not much harder. Good luck man.

brian-250
05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
sounds like you blew your top end.;)

One_Bad_400
05-02-2005, 06:19 PM
i just rebuilt this engine last christmas... its a 416 and he went threw and redid everthing??? i hope i didnt drop a valve.... i dont thing i did though... it dont sound like its smashing anything when i do... kinda sounds like something(like a chain) sliding of its sproket... i got my dads friend to titen the valves a few months ago... nd he said the cam chain might be louse.... and its been making that ticking noise a wile but like bearly where you can berly hear it then it would go away then al a suden it got suer loud and just shut off.... if that cam chain and turning that cam and not doin the valvs the engine cant do nothing right? if the chain did fall off what you think could be messed up if it fell off becasue the tenser got louse or something???

bens250ex
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
it wont even like turn over when u hit the start button just a horrible crunchy kinda noise.....so i dont think it has to do with blowin a top end

05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
sounds like you neglected the maintenance on that cam chain when your friend told you that you needed a new one. good luck

DiRTdiGGr660
05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
timing chain or wrist pin..was you runnin it hard when it went?or was you takin it easy but high in the rpms??

DiRTdiGGr660
05-02-2005, 08:43 PM
was there oil in it?:eek2:

PS...pull the oilfilter out and see if there is any metal shavings or chunks in it

One_Bad_400
05-03-2005, 07:45 PM
i took the top off today and the chain did fall off... and i put it back on but i aint going to try and start it till i get my dads friend to tighten it, cuz heck if i know what im doin on an engine...

i was at middle rpm taking it easy...

ya im probably going to check the oil filter and oil tomorrow....

my dad said your cam chain falling off is bad news... he said if the piston explodes one last time and that cam didn't open the valve that thing is bint...

440exnacsracer
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
well, it shouldnt mess up anything in that matter considering it is just gasses and there would consequently be no more fuel and air coming in the intake. but i would definatly go ahead and replace the cam chain, its probably bent or stretched now.