PDA

View Full Version : 8 plate clutches

duke416ex
05-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I posted on clutches the other day and am bout ready to order an 8 plate system after burning mine out at Loretta's. I was wondering, who besides Rico and Uglymotha have an 8 plate system and what are your opinions of it, also where did you get it at and how is it holding up?

MIKE400EX
05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I've got one. Hands down, no better clutch available for the 400EX. The difference is like night and day. Little to no fade and makes it feel like its geared to the ground. Just wish Rekluse would get off their butts and make one for the 400EX. Weren't they supposed to be making one for QJ?:confused:

cals400ex
05-02-2005, 01:58 PM
for all out racing conditions i like mine too. for putting around or cruising i like the stock better. the stock one makes the bike shift alittle smoother. also, i kill my bike easier if i am messing around with the 8 plate setup. its not like it is hard to drive but i just find myself killing it alittle more when putting around in trails for example. you have much greater slipping capabilities with it too. i looked at mine several months ago and i couldn't even tell it was used (besides the oil on it). however, my stock one would probably still be just fine too. i am just not too hard on clutches.

sloppyjoe
05-02-2005, 07:58 PM
who do i get a hold of to get one of those!!! i cant keep a clutch in mine. how much are they?

schulte_85
05-02-2005, 08:38 PM
GT Thunder makes a kit.

JDiablo
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
i have the sparks 8 plate clutch,and the hinson clutch basket,it was shifting so nicely,but the thing is,if you have a margura hyrdo clutch,it says you might need a 1 mm spacer,dis regard that,that is what took up a whole day of riding for me,but otherwise that setup is so awesome

TC426EX
05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Got a full Hinson 8-plate conversion in mine and the difference over stock is huge... I am hard on clutches, always feathering and dumping em to keep the power on the ground + I have yet to have to replace the plates after a season and a half of hard riding/racing. I have everything, the basket, pressure plate, inner hub, etc, but you dont need all that to make it work. You can get a good kit from GT Thunder, or Curtis Sparks, so check them out. The sparks kit comes with just the plates and springs, while the GT Thunder kit is a little more money, but comes with a machined inner hub to accept the extra plate, side cover gasket, and springs in a complete kit.

Inspect your clutch basket while you got it apart, and if there are grooves in the teeth, replace it w/ at least a new stock one. Definitely dont want any of those teeth shearing off, esp. with the new clutch, causing damage...

cals400ex
05-03-2005, 01:12 AM
[i]

Inspect your clutch basket while you got it apart, and if there are grooves in the teeth, replace it w/ at least a new stock one. Definitely dont want any of those teeth shearing off, esp. with the new clutch, causing damage... [/B]

i thought you said you liked it when stuff broke off in your motor? it shines your cases up a bit. :devil:

i run the sparks clutch with stock basket and hub for everyone who asked.

TC426EX
05-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i thought you said you liked it when stuff broke off in your motor? it shines your cases up a bit. :devil:

i run the sparks clutch with stock basket and hub for everyone who asked.

Ha...Ha.....ha Cal.... very funny...

:ermm:

At least my rebuild is about done, just gotta get my head back this week w/ new guides installed and Ill be ready to go. Got the new crank/rod installed, cases back together, piston seated, and jug bolted on. So its basically complete, just need to install the head + adjust the valves and all that....

cals400ex
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
you didn't do a stroker did you? you using the same head?

TC426EX
05-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
you didn't do a stroker did you? you using the same head?

No, unfortunately no stroker.... had plans for it, but didnt have the money for it with everything else I had to replace. So I just sent the crank out of my new bottom end to GT Thunder w/ a Carrillo rod and had them install it + true & weld the crank.

Fortunately I was able to use the same head and keep all my porting and everything. The 2 intake valves were bent, but fortunately no damage/impressions in the combustion chamber were made, and there was no other damage besides some hairline cracks in the guides. Those are being replaced as well as 2 new OS valves, seals, etc, so should be as good as new. Im basically gonna have the same engine as before, except a bit faster w/ the 13:1 piston, and 100x more reliable w/ the rod, CRF cam chain, etc....

Dave400ex
05-03-2005, 03:40 PM
I've ran the Sparks setup for about a year now with the stock basket and have had no problems. It's a great setup. If you have the money, I would combine either the Sparks or GT Thunder kit with a Hinson Basket and be done with it.