PDA

View Full Version : A floating 400EX

IAMFITZY
05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
To be honest my 400 did not sink but it did float. It floated over some crazy water and mud holes the other night. I hammered through the gears flying up a 65 foot incline of runny mud and ruts to get my *** home the other night. Girlfriend was screaming and my other buddies where lovin all the crazy action and mud throwing fun. I had the only 400ex and 1 of 2 bikes that mad it through the muddy hill. Im talking boot sucking falling over, wenching mud. I reached the top and just cleared the mud hill and then my 400 died. I was shocked. I take care of my 400 and didn't understand. Long story short I got home and found that my air box had 3 inches of water in it. And I am a scared man that I have done damage. Since I found out I changed my oil and found water. I have water that has reached my air intake boot through my K&N filter.
What kind of damage could I have done. What should my next step be to insure less damage and to not hurt my baby girl anymore than it could be... Regards Fitzy.

NacsMXer
05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Go buy a box of cheapy 10w40 oil, and continuously fill, run, and drain the oil until it begins to drain out clean. Don't forget to change the oil filter too when you're done. The quad obviously died because it sucked water into the intake so let's hope you didn't do too much damage. You say the quad died, but it turns over right? In other words, if it turns over, it's not locked up, and you should be ok after you flush out all of the bad oil.

Next time, make sure you remove that little pink plug on the bottom of the airbox. That way all the water will drain out before it has a chance to be sucked into the filter ;)

IAMFITZY
05-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Ya got some cheapy oil and am draining the ol' gal. I hope that it turnes out ok... Thanks for your reply. Regards Fitzy

bwamos
05-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Also make sure your air filter is properly oiled so it doesn't happen again.

I have had my 330ex completely submerged... w/o airbox lid many many many times (not intentionally, lol) and never sucked in any water at all. If your using a K&N filter get the Spray Can type.. works MUCH much better than the shampoo bottle type that comes in the kit.

Also if you're runnign K&N and ever used a power washer to clean the filter... you may have torn the paper away from the glue. Make sure it's in good condition still. (also always clean from the inside out.)