PDA

View Full Version : K&N or foam?

bonified5
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I am gonna put a filter on my ex along with a jet kit. I was wondering what would be a better one for my riding conditions. I ride mostly trails and there not too dusty and i ride through some water, not too deep, and I ride on my street. Thanks for the help.

Mobile Dyno
05-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I like the TwinAir Foam Filter.:D

400exrider26
05-02-2005, 03:53 AM
I also heard good things about uni filters- My question is would a k&n with prefilter be ok for woods use like the other member rides in?

jak1389
05-02-2005, 08:39 AM
i run a k&n and ride lots of trails, muddy, and very dirty. i dont use a prefilter since i have my airbox lid on still. i say go with k&n, its a great filter.

QuadJunkies
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
were completly the opposite of alot of riders, we prefer a K&N on all our quads vs a foam filter. We dont ride in tons of mud, we also have no air box, There was a night and day difference with a K&N vs the Foam one on our Predator.We check them regularly and have had no problems with dirt getting inside what so ever . I guess it all depends on what and where you ride but we prefer K&N all the way!

blakefoote
05-02-2005, 08:39 PM
i like the k&n because it is easier to clean "to me" and it adds 1 horse power. lol

bonified5
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
ok thanks guys. i will prob get the k&n

6858-400ex
05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
i bought mine at rocky mountain atv for 36

Bender
05-03-2005, 07:33 AM
I have a K&N filter in my R, because thats what I had on hand at the moment, but I do know from racing cars both on and off road that foam filters out preform K&N in most conditions. Much research has been done on this. I've never seen a rally car use a paper filter or an MX bike for that matter. I've seen ITG foam filters make 3-4 hp over 0-1 hp gain with a K&N on a dyno.

yellowWB400ex
05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I would get foam because we went trail riding 1 day after it rained a ***** load. We was dumb and road with our lids off:blah: . The foam filters were the only ones that didnt suck water. I had like 2 inches of water lying in my airbox at the end of the day and still didnt suck water. Even the K&N's with outerwears still sucked water. So im not a fan of K&N. Get a foam!!!:macho

400exrider707
05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Im partial to UNIs myself

markk
05-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I have ran UNI, and K&N, I found out that while i was running my K&N i would clean the filter after every race, or every 2-3 joy rides. Well last year at the begining of the season we had some really dusty races. And when i went to clean my filter i found dust in my intake boot. So i cleaned it up again, and made sure i used extra oil the next time. Well 3 weeks later after the next race i cleaned my filter again and AGAIN dust in the intake boot. That was enuf for me, Then i got a UNI filter, and i run Bel-Ray Foam Oil Filter Oil, and i have NEVER EVER had that problem again, and that FILTER/OIL combo has never sucked up any water.

UNi, or twin-air is the only way to go IMO.

bonified5
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM
ok thanks for your help

bonified5
05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
The thing is, I do plan on gettin an aluminum airbox in the future and was wondering if the foam filters will work.

orvs4me
05-03-2005, 11:03 PM
I was runnin a K&N in my stock airbox.
Then I upgraded to a Alum. box from CFM and the K&N was a beotch to install or remove. Went to UNI and never looked back.
Great filter, easy to clean, and I use Honda foam filter oil on mine.
Hope this helps.

QuadJunkies
05-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by markk
I have ran UNI, and K&N, I found out that while i was running my K&N i would clean the filter after every race, or every 2-3 joy rides. Well last year at the begining of the season we had some really dusty races. And when i went to clean my filter i found dust in my intake boot. So i cleaned it up again, and made sure i used extra oil the next time. Well 3 weeks later after the next race i cleaned my filter again and AGAIN dust in the intake boot. That was enuf for me, Then i got a UNI filter, and i run Bel-Ray Foam Oil Filter Oil, and i have NEVER EVER had that problem again, and that FILTER/OIL combo has never sucked up any water.

UNi, or twin-air is the only way to go IMO. Weve NEVER had dirt in ours.... :confused:

markk
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I dont know how to describe the dust we where riding in for hours, I dont know if a flat track bike ever has to see that much dust. IM not the only one i have heard of with the dirt in the intake boot. anyways JMO

QuadJunkies
05-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by markk
I dont know how to describe the dust we where riding in for hours, I dont know if a flat track bike ever has to see that much dust. IM not the only one i have heard of with the dirt in the intake boot. anyways JMO Our quads dont justdo FT racing, they are also MX, we ride in everything from Sand to Talc powder dirt and mud ,but we dont run ,mud liek they do back east or run in Creek beds ect.. . Only quad we now have on a foam filter is oneof our minis and were currently looking for K&N for it :) I do know its safer on a motor to go with a foam, we personally dont like them and it actually hindered performance in ours. ;)

ReconRider25
05-04-2005, 06:36 PM
^^^if you got dust in the intake boot alls you have to do is put some grease on between the boot and the flange for the airfilter. i do that on mine and not a single spec of dust.:macho

ss440ex
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
No-Toil foam filters
Filters great in ALL conditions.
Never had a dirty,wet or dusty
intake track with them!
Cleans easy.

400sEXridr
05-05-2005, 03:31 PM
i ride muddy trails with some water too with a k&n. I use both outerwears ( the one over the filter and the one over the airbox) with no airbox lid. Water will splash up into the airbox no matter how careful you are. The water will also pool on top of the outerwears and cut off air to the filter. I would say if you are planning on running an airbox lid, go with the k&n, if not go with a foam.

Bill Fuller
05-05-2005, 03:40 PM
I will never run a K&N filter on anything but my car or truck.K&N lets in to much dust.I don't care what other people say I know how to oil the filter and the grease aroung the intake boot blah,blah,blah.....Reliabilty and piece of mind is far worth more then the extra 1/2 HP.

cals400ex
05-05-2005, 05:08 PM
i believe it is plain and simple: the K&N's will let in more dirt than a properly taken care of foam filter. you can actually see through the K&N's if you put them up. i am not saying they are bad but it is the truth.

blue416ex
05-05-2005, 05:25 PM
GAY&N's suck IMO i had one on my shee and it sucked in raw sand and i know how to clean and grease the filter i dont care what ppl say o0o u didnt do it right ran a prodesign i never even had one speck of dust in the intake boots with the K&N i had grains of sand cloging up my carb and not letting the slide down i will never runa k&n again :macho

cals400ex
05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
well i do want to rephrase my statement. i don't people to go bashing what i said. i do want to say that is my opinion though.

bonified5
05-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Now I think i will get a foam. Keep thwe opinions coming.....I still need a final descision. Thanks

cals400ex
05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by bonified5
Now I think i will get a foam. Keep thwe opinions coming.....I still need a final descision. Thanks

with this topic, sorry to say but you won't get a final decision. you will get opinions.

QuadJunkies
05-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
with this topic, sorry to say but you won't get a final decision. you will get opinions. ;)

markk
05-06-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
with this topic, sorry to say but you won't get a final decision. you will get opinions.

well said!

bonified5
05-06-2005, 04:51 PM
haah ure so right tho. so k&n or foam. jk

4o0eX RaCeR
05-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Uni foam filters are great. Two filters in one. K&N's let more air in yeh... but it doesnt clean it as well. Id take a clean motor over a faster breathing motor any day.