PDA

View Full Version : Houser Ball Joints

zphillie
05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I have plus .5 Houser a-arms with 19.5 inch axis shocks and I am having trouble with my lower ball joints staying in socket. I have went through seven ball joints so far this year and I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem or maybe has a solution.

Honda
05-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Are you running the Long Travel arms or standard?

zphillie
05-02-2005, 08:17 AM
I AM RUNNING LONG TRAVEL.

ajr400ex
05-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Were the shocks designed for that quad/a-arm setup or are they off of something else?

Honda
05-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Pull the shocks off of the front end, then grab the spindle or wheel, rotate the suspension through its full range of motion, wheels strait ahead and wheels at full lock.

If it binds up anywhere then you must have a problem, keep in mind that it may bind if moved past the point where the shocks are actually designed to work. If it binds within the shocks available range of motion then you have a problem.

I haven't heard of any issues like this from Houser or any other manufactures.

If there really was a problem, I am sure that Houser would take care of it for you, but it doesn't seem to me that you have even asked them about it? Kind of odd, especially if you have gone through that many joints!

Meek
05-03-2005, 02:32 AM
I am running that setup on my 450r, and have had no problems.

Give John Houser a call, and see what he has to say. Tell him that Jason Meek sent you.

zphillie
05-03-2005, 05:32 AM
I did contact John Houser and I have done all the measurements that he asked me to. Everything is what he said that it should be and we can not figure out anything else that it could be.

John Houser
05-07-2005, 06:29 AM
The Ball Joints that are used on these A-Arms are the same ones used by Leager, JD, JB & HOUSER. Like anything, they are not bullet proof, but they have held up extremely well. When ball joints are failing, and hundreds of others are running the same setup without problems, there is normally something wrong or different with this particular setup. Normally the shocks are allowing the A-Arms to travel past what they were design for. If the ball joints are trying to stop the travel instead of the A-Arms, the ball joint is trying to pull the ball out of the socket. What ever the problem is, if you do not correct it, it will happen again. Replacing the ball joint only allows you start the race, not finish it. If you can't figure it out, send the shocks & A-Arms to us & we will try to find the problem. I know that sounds like a big deal, but you need to find the solution, whatever it takes!!!
John Houser
877 6 GO FAST