PDA

View Full Version : Any exhaust paint that actually works?

VT250X
05-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I purchased a can of Silver Dupli-Color High Heat paint. It says 1200 degrees. I sanded the head pipe down to the metal to remove all rust and everything else. After that was done I used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface of finger prints oil and all that other bodily stuff. THEN using rubber gloves I washed it with hot water for like ever then hand dried it with NEW shop towels. I set it out in the sun for a few hours to let it dry. I put two thin coats of paint and let it dry for 2 days!! I started it up and let it run until I could smell the paint and then shut it off. Now that I have ridden several times the paint is all flaking off like crazy! What the hell? Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to include everything I did so someone could offer advice knowing what I did. What a waste of money.

LM

nat3060
05-01-2005, 06:15 PM
same thing happen to be, i used the black 1200 degree paint.. went to tedius prepping and it bubbled the second the bike was running

pissed me off.. i want to call the company

VT250X
05-01-2005, 06:24 PM
The can says to also cure it by sticking it in an oven @ 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. I wonder if it's worth it?

LM

parkers30
05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
curing it is the only way to get the paint to hold up, but I've never done it, momma would be kinda pissed if I used her oven :rolleyes:

VT250X
05-01-2005, 06:44 PM
My mom owns the house I live in, but I don't think she would get pissed if I did it. The problem would be building something to keep it from touching anything in there. I'm going to have to invent something and give it a try. The problem is with the stove running I have to at least be home to baby sit :)

LM

2004exrider
05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
just painted mine up... so heres the trick! 1. sand it off again 2. wipe down with rag 3. heat up with a burnsomatic tourch (not extremely hot) then put on the first coat, while its still hot spray a couple more coats on til it starts staying wet 4. after the paint dries heat up again then put on another good heavy coat. when it dries off put it back on and cruise it around for a while, it will still smell but let it REALLY bake on good. shouldnt peel off this time. Good Luck

VT250X
05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
just painted mine up... so heres the trick! 1. sand it off again 2. wipe down with rag 3. heat up with a burnsomatic tourch (not extremely hot) then put on the first coat, while its still hot spray a couple more coats on til it starts staying wet 4. after the paint dries heat up again then put on another good heavy coat. when it dries off put it back on and cruise it around for a while, it will still smell but let it REALLY bake on good. shouldnt peel off this time. Good Luck

Thanks for the idea. It's a little more time friendly than baking it in the oven for two hours.

LM

2004exrider
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
no prob. let me no how it goes! if still fails, call the company and tell them your problem maybe theyll refund you or get you a new can.

400exrider707
05-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I used rustoleum high temp black spray paint. I did a sloppy sand job with a drum on a cordless drill in abou 10 minutes, then slapped on two coats of paint in like the next 10 minutes, let it sit overnight and haven't had a single problem with it. Held up great, until my first mud race, then some mud kind of burnt to the headpipe and it looks somewhat like it did, but Ill just paint it again I guess. I defnitely didn't do a good prep job, and definitely didn't cure it and it held up way better than what I thought it would.

AlbaKFX
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I used coal stove paint to paint my stock exhaust. Got it from a stove dealership (if their called that). It was like 9 bucks, and is rated for 1400 degrees I believe.

I put on about 4 hours since then, and has been fully submerged in watery mud (accidentally, thought it was a shallow puddle :cool: ) for about 15 feet, gravel thrown at it, mud caked on, etc. Washed all of it off and it looks like it did the day I painted it.

I lightly sanded the stock silencer and midpipe, just to get the rust off. There was still plenty stock paint on the canister.