PDA

View Full Version : help with swingarm

honda400ex27
09-13-2001, 02:23 PM
I need some help from yall...i am taking my stock swingarm off, because i have an aftermarket one ordered to go on it....i already have the axle and shock unmounted so all thats left is the swingarm...well i have took the nut off of the swingarm bolt that goes through the motor case...well my problem is the bolt will not come out... i have turned on the other end and it will turn easy..the bolt will just not slide out!? whats the problem here...do i need to hit it harder or what...please help me out here..thanks!

nakomis0
09-13-2001, 03:03 PM
I haven't experianced this myself , but I hear they lock up alot.

It should just bang out, you will need to get a WD-40 type product, or someother type of metal loosening spray. And try banging it out. You may have to get a tourch and heat it up.

I need to take mine out and oil its a 2000 and has never had it done.:rolleyes:

honda400ex27
09-13-2001, 08:53 PM
i have tried everything in the world and nothing seems to budge it...i think its the metal part on the bearing thats rusted or something to the bolt...but i have soak it with WD-40..i can use a rachet and it will turn easily...just wont move...im thinkin about takin a gear puller to it but im afraid it will mess up something on my frame...im panicing guys! help me!

400exRacerX
09-13-2001, 09:07 PM
yea you need to give it a good hard hit to get it out, most likely you will need new needle bearings if you hadn't done it in awhile. i have a 2000 400ex and i just regreased and replaced some bearings on my swingarm. now that i think of it i can't beleive 2002 400ex's are out already, i havent even had my 2000 400ex for a year yet, i bought my 2000 400ex in the end of october last year, i still got 2 months til its a year old and they have had 2 more years of the same model out already. wow time flies when you are in love with a atv.....lol

09-13-2001, 09:07 PM
take a piece of wood and put it up to the threads so they won't get messed up when you a BIGASS hammer to hit it

09-14-2001, 10:19 PM
hey man
i just went through the same thing a week ago.
it took me a week to get the stupid bolt out.

i sprayed it everyday and got it where u could spin it with your fingers but it still wouldnt budge. i even pounded and pounded on it and it wouldnt budge

i ended up haveing to make a pipe that fit around the bolt and turned my 440 on it side and leaned it on the pipe where i couldnt bend the frame. after that i got the biggest sludge hammer u can find and smacked the piss out of it.

it will come dont worry...but ill be the first to tell u that it takes work

good luck
peace

honda400ex27
09-14-2001, 10:42 PM
i dont understand what u mean by putting a pipe around the bolt?? anyway i have lubed it to death and nothings budging..im getting worried...i have smacked the piss out of it...im afraid its going to mess the case up if it hit it much harder...i even took a sledge hammer and hit it! HELP!

CHAR250R
09-15-2001, 08:10 AM
The outer race on the swing arm bolt has a bad habit of seizing itself to the shaft. You can still spin it by hand because the bolt hasn't broke free from the bearing. If you heat it with a torch, you'll burn some paint on the frame. See if you can get a heat gun. Keep an eye on the paint, and let it warm up. You're probably gonna have to whack the piss outta it. Get yourself a BIG dead-blow hammer. The dead-blow won't ruin the threads. I took mine out by getting a piece of scrap aluminum round stock, and whacking it through with a big sledge hammer. The hardest part is getting it to move a little. Once you break the races free, the bolt should come out. Keep an eye on the threads. You might want to keep the nut on loose to protect the threads. Once you get it loose, take the nut off. Don't panic, it will come out. Good luck. Ride on.

09-15-2001, 10:59 AM
hey
i dont know how to explain the pipe thing. me and another guy made it. we had a pipe that fit around the bolt and a stone block at the end of the pipe. we put my 4wheeler on its side and the pipe pretty much held the whole bike up. we made it because that way i couldnt bend my frame no madder how hard i smack the bolt.

and another thing do not heat anything on the bolt. not only will u melt the paint but the bushing that seals the bolt is rubber.
so u will also melt that too.

i remcomend spraying it a few nights
then beat the piss out of it
its the only way.
later

09-15-2001, 10:43 PM
remember that swingarm bolts 60 doolars

honda400ex27
09-16-2001, 10:31 AM
im gettin really pissed off with it now..no hope with it..i have used a sledge hammer and nothings budging it...i even have the motor loose..im beginning to think the bolt is bent or something...im seriously thinkin about settin the SOB on fire!!