PDA

View Full Version : How things have changed!

Pappy
04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Ok, i'm a self professed old timer:p But when it comes to change, usually it is slight and not really noticed until a great deal of time has passed.

Anyway, I am browsing thru the latest edition of ATVsport and reading and looking at the pictures when it dawns on me. BOY HAS THIS SPORT EXPLODED!

With this new found thought fresh in my head, I ran to the kids room and searched for another issue from a few years back and began reading and searching for the differences. Just 2 short years ago, a handfull of main companies had the bulk of the business and we were limited to running this or that. Fortunatley for us that has all changed! Looking even closer at the smaller advertisers highlighted the fact that ATV companies are booming especially in custom parts! Billet brackets, custom anodized and polished gizmo's and gadgets to help set you apart from everyone else.

Just look at the different choices we now have. Colors, styles, graphics, plastics...MAN WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!

If i remember correctly, atv sales should almost reach 900,000 units in 2005 :eek: In 2002 i think 600,000 was expected. That my friends is HUGE growth!

ATV's are no longer for the outcasts and for kids. This sport is becoming big business. I cant help but think back to the dark years when atv's got sucker punched by the CPSC and to think that we are on the upswing has me wondering....where do we go next:confused: What changes can they possibly come up with to top the last 2 years?

Sorry for rambling, but seeing the ATV world come full circle sure has a smile on my face:D

Mxjunkie
04-30-2005, 09:02 PM
It has grown alot! I was sitting here ordering parts and stuff and I was looking at mini parts for lt80s and all, it has changed SOO much since when I raced, I had a lt80 back in 1999 and we spent about 5 grand and it was one bad quad back then, heck now the kids have mini hybrids and aarms and such, the best thing then was the james lucky front end extender kit! dg pipes were the hot ticket, and there wasnt any other mini brands really besides lt80s, they were almost like the 250r for the mini class :devil:

I go to work everyday and its like seeing a blast from the blast, My boss has 3 250rs, back in the day they use to put 350x motors in 250rs and that was pretty much a 4 stroke hybrid, now the hybrids are mind blowing! his other 250r is a early 90s xc bike and the last is a full roll design, houser, axis 330r, its amazing how much it has all changed! Parts and quads are so advanced now that even the top stuff back then seems acient.

I'll even be the first to admit my banshee doesnt even come close to the new 4 strokes and quads they are making, its really cool how its progessing, I hope it leads to more riding parks and areas! :)

JOEX
04-30-2005, 09:05 PM
I was thumbing through the Dirtwheels mag today, actually just a couple of hours ago, thinking the exact same thing. Man, there are alot of companies out there making parts and accessories.

:cool: :)

400exrules
05-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Now if honda would just back Chris Borich :grr:

DeerNuts
05-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes the sport has grown a lot and that is a good thing. Now if I could just afford all these great products these companies are making! but it's still great that they are available.

Also, I think Pappy had quite a bit to do with this upswing, at least on this site anyway. Then of course there are those that have started Akriax on here and they will be going national with their stuff, just like Pappy has with his business.

2 thumbs up guys! Keep up the good work!:cool:

zlam27
05-01-2005, 10:01 AM
the direction this sport is headed is awesome. a few years ago it was harder to find other people who rode, riding areas, and a good selection of not only aftermarket parts, but QUADS. i truely love ATVing and its great to see others pick up on the sport and realize how much fun it can be. i honestly believe that its one of the best family activities out there, and if more people would try it the ATVing industry will be secure for a long time.

im really hoping to get a job in this industry after school so i love seeing the sport blow up.

zach

400exrules
05-01-2005, 10:14 AM
yah, it can only get bigger.........dirtbikes, LOOKOUT!

05-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I think were on the virge of nationwide TV coverage on main networks like the dirtbikes have. The amount of entries at races is basically the same as dirtbike nationals, and the ATV freestyle scene is literally getting larger by the day. This is going to be a fun few years coming up to see it get even larger!

Its amazing how the sport is growing larger in the northeast, even with the environmental police shutting down basicaly every place to ride. I think we can thank the NEATV for providing an outstanding northeast racing circuit during these hard times for our trails.

TheFontMaster
05-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah, it can only get bigger.........dirtbikes, LOOKOUT!

I was at work today reading through a dirtbike magazine:o, I know I already read the quad magazines, and I was just thinking wow there is so much more stuff out there for quads, especialy in the way of bling bling items. But I did see these cool levers that are adjustable for different length fingers, and that fold back in a crash so they don't bend as easily.

Pappy
05-01-2005, 06:09 PM
lets just all keep in mind that its our responsibility to keep the sport headed in the right direction;)

TheFontMaster
05-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey Pappy, I sent you a couple PM's about the springs, did you get them? They should be there tomorow if they haven;t already showed up.

QuadJunkies
05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah, it can only get bigger.........dirtbikes, LOOKOUT! WERD!! :macho Its only going to get BETTER... :cool:

kamikaze_rzrbak
05-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lets just all keep in mind that its our responsibility to keep the sport headed in the right direction;)
i think thats one of the biggest parts to our community getting bigger and better. We are finally starting to see less people think of the quad stereotype as a hillbilly with no shirt or helmet, and started seeing us as a real sport, with real individuals representing our sport.

JOEX
05-01-2005, 10:20 PM
lets just all keep in mind that its our responsibility
to keep the sport headed in the right direction;)
:macho :cool:

gojk
05-01-2005, 11:26 PM
I have some friends that arent into quads and dirtbikes too much, and took them to SX and then the quad races, and they said they enjoyed the quads far more than the dirtbikes. Now they are always asking when we are going to go ride!:D

hondaracer305
05-01-2005, 11:32 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing whenever i saw that spinners were available for quads ;)

CBRSLIDER
05-02-2005, 12:41 AM
I look back to the days of riding my dad's '83 Big Red. I was the man at school and I was only 8yrs old. Then we got the '84 Big Red with reverse. Yeeehaw. Then the '85 with front and rear suspension. We were styling and felt like racers. Now I cannot wait to buy my sons a quad in the next few years. Heck when I do buy it, it will be more advanced than I could ever imagine. I thought the 400EX was a modern marvel but my trusty steed is a dinosaur compared to the new quads. Where do we go next? It is really exciting to think about what's next to come. Unfortunately I ain't gettin any younger, so I hope the good stuff comes out soon, so I along with "old timers" like pappy can enjoy it.

Ray

Pappy
05-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
so I along with "old timers" like pappy can enjoy it.

Ray

dammit ray, you made me feel even older:p

popo
05-02-2005, 04:10 PM
dammit ray, you made me feel even older:p

Let me help "You old bastich" :D

Pappy
05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
83 was also the year i worked enough to plop down my $1400 for my ultra badazz tri moto 225:o

i did want a 200x honda but the old man couldnt see footing me the extra $600:(

right back at ya Popo:blah: