PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions..

Punk'd
04-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok I just got back from the honda dealer and Iv bought coolant and a oil filter. I need to know weither or not you can just add more coolant in or do I have to drain it all? If so how do you drain it?

2nd the guy at the dealer told me you can use your engine oil for the transmission oil is this true?

Thanks for the help

EvilJester400EX
04-30-2005, 03:18 PM
You have to drain all of the coolant out.

frcfed4
04-30-2005, 04:09 PM
should be able to use the oil in both...maybe a higher velosity in the tranny to thicken things up a lil.

Punk'd
04-30-2005, 04:10 PM
thanks guys! Now can someone explain to me how to drain the coolant without messing anything up?

Thanks alot!

400EXracer74
04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
i use 10w 40 honda oil in my engine and 80w 85 honda tranny oil in my tranny. thats what ive been told to use and it works well. and yes if your coolant is low you can just add some. but after a while you should flush the system just to keep it a bit cleaner but i wouldnt worry about that for a while.

tltcracing
04-30-2005, 10:28 PM
if you just need to add more coolant then remove your hood. there should be a white plastic tube that comes out tward the left of the streering stem. it has a black cap that feels like ruber. remove the cap and poor in. there is a high and low mark(like the one on the brake fluid tanks) up under the plastic on the right side (if you look from back to front of atv). if you are realy having truble finding the indicators, folow the tube back from where you pored in.

Punk'd
04-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
if you just need to add more coolant then remove your hood. there should be a white plastic tube that comes out tward the left of the streering stem. it has a black cap that feels like ruber. remove the cap and poor in. there is a high and low mark(like the one on the brake fluid tanks) up under the plastic on the right side (if you look from back to front of atv). if you are realy having truble finding the indicators, folow the tube back from where you pored in.

Thanks for the info man. I knew were everything was I was just afraid to poor any in because I didnt know if you could or not without emptying it first. but thanks for the info man!

Randy

Nate Dogg #76
05-02-2005, 05:09 AM
tltcracing is right about how to add coolant, but 400EXracer74 is not right about the oil. I have a 450R, the engine and trans oil is the same use Honda GN4 10w-40. No offence, but read your owners manual.

trxHRC450r
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM
it says right in the manual to use eith gn4 or hp4 its not as thick as some other tranny oils but its what honda reccomends and just change ur oil as frequently as u can