PDA

View Full Version : Best Exhaust

RadRacer
04-30-2005, 12:51 PM
OK. As some of you know, I've been looking for an exhaust. After looking at some used ones, my parents finally decided that I might get a brand new one. So, now the question is, which exhaust should I get? Basically anything under $300 that will give me the best performance gain. Let's hear what you guys think!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say which bike this is for. It's for my 2001 300EX.

2muchquad
04-30-2005, 01:05 PM
basically there really is no "best exhaust" out there.it all comes down to what your trying to do.youcould buy an exhaust system that has made the most peak hp on the dyno but it may not work for you for the riding you do.i would ask around,do a little homework beofre you just buy something because "thats what everybody else has".$300 is a lot of loot to just drop on anything:D

RadRacer
04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Well....I've been looking at the FMF Megamax II. It has the adjustable disks, so i could lower the power and sound when I'm riding around my neighborhood, but when I'm out at Ocala or something, I could open it up abit and get more performance out of it. Is it a good exhaust or no?

RadRacer
04-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Anyone? I don't want it real loud for when i ride around my neighborhood (don't do it much) but when i go out someplace to ride, such as scottsmoore, i wanna be able to open it up and get full performance out of it. I like the Megamax II (http://rockymountainatv.com/Machine_Details.atv?pid=00006282&cat=EXHA&type=4STE&name=FMF+Megamax+II+Exhaust&make=HONDA&model=TRX+300EX&year=2001&status=) , but is it a good pipe?!? Also, would you have to rejet everytime you change the disks, and is that a full exhaust, or just a slip-on?

hondardr4life
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
It's a full exhaust, but DO NOT buy it. They suck. Look into a Curtis sparks or a yoshi or an HMF slip on with a white brothers header. A lot of people would say that the curtis sparks x-4 is the best you can get for the 300ex, thats why I bought mine. The hmf/ wb combo will cost you about $320, the yoshi is like $400, and the sparks is about $350. I had a megamax on my 330, and then I put the sparks on, and it made a huge difference in power over the fmf.

RadRacer
04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
It's a full exhaust, but DO NOT buy it. They suck. Look into a Curtis sparks or a yoshi or an HMF slip on with a white brothers header. A lot of people would say that the curtis sparks x-4 is the best you can get for the 300ex, thats why I bought mine. The hmf/ wb combo will cost you about $320, the yoshi is like $400, and the sparks is about $350. I had a megamax on my 330, and then I put the sparks on, and it made a huge difference in power over the fmf.

OK. The HMF will fit on a stock header though right? Also, I wanted one with the disk system, so i could adjust the sound. Is SuperTrap any good?

EDIT: I looked at the HMF Sport Series slip-on,a nd was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the quiet core insert for it, and if it would affect the performance any, and if it did, could I just remove it and not have to rejet when sound doesn't matter?

PHIL_B54
05-01-2005, 07:21 AM
you just buy the quiet core when you buy the pipe...from C&d Racing

it does make a pretty good difference in sound, and you wont feel a thing in power. it doesnt effect flow enough for a re-jet, so you arent losing much. i have one in my 400ex, had one in the warrior, and the one for my 300ex is on order

edit: didnt answer everything, 3 bolts and you can easily put it in or take it out, and i have never had jetting problems with or without it

RadRacer
05-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
you just buy the quiet core when you buy the pipe...from C&d Racing

it does make a pretty good difference in sound, and you wont feel a thing in power. it doesnt effect flow enough for a re-jet, so you arent losing much. i have one in my 400ex, had one in the warrior, and the one for my 300ex is on order

edit: didnt answer everything, 3 bolts and you can easily put it in or take it out, and i have never had jetting problems with or without it

Thank you! You have just made my day. I wanted one that you could get alot of power form, and that you can adjust the sound. Most of the time, you lose power when you lower sound, but you said you won't with this one! I'm hopin to get it soon!

bwamos
05-03-2005, 08:36 AM
This isn't a 400ex or a 450r.

Unless I am wrong, and they have changed the 300ex in the last 2 years (which very highly I doubt), you can't get a slip-on style can for it witout buying a header also. The stock pipe is a full welded together pipe system.

Besides the stock header is way way way too restrictive. My first pipe was an FMF Performax pipe. I never had any issues with it and would still be runnign it if I didn't rebuild the quad to a FST 330 w/ a Curtis Sparks x4 Pipe.

No matter whether or not you get a slip-on style pipe.. you will have to get a new header to put that pipe on anyway, I prefer the full system since you dont have to worry about that damn leaky gasket half way down the pipe.

And, no, you really won't need to rejet when you swap out the disks. (be sure to use a little high temp anti sieze on the plate bolts though.) But, you will certianly need to rejet for the new pipe.

Aftermarket pipe, K&N Filter (or foam type), and rejetting, is the best bang for the buck HP & Torque gain you can get on a 300ex because the stock 300 is soooo restrictive due to all the lawsuits against honda in the late 80's.

ps- I agree the Curtis Sparks x-4 is a wicked pipe and have never seen better craftsmanship.. but a LOUD pipe if you're worried about noise level. You'll wake up people in the neighboring town.. lol.

PHIL_B54
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Unless I am wrong, and they have changed the 300ex in the last 2 years (which very highly I doubt), you can't get a slip-on style can for it witout buying a header also. The stock pipe is a full welded together pipe system........No matter whether or not you get a slip-on style pipe.. you will have to get a new header to put that pipe on anyway

yep you are wrong. just put my hmf slip-on on my 2004 300ex this weekend.

bwamos
05-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice... glad to see them doing some updating.

I'm still riding my 1998 300ex, that I bought new. (I've got to have 30,000 brutal miles on that thing.. lol) Only downfall reliability wise is the very weak weld at the shock base and a mild steel axle (granted I was jumping it on stock shocks at the time, lol).

Is the 300 still running a tiny ~7/8" dia header, or have they bumped it up to an appropriate 1-1/2" dia header? The old stock pipe had about 1/3 the flow capacity of an aftermarket pipe.. just in the header section alone.

YFZ racer #13
05-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Have you ever thought about a Yoshimura??? Without a quiet core they are wicked, they also have a TEC kit and it comes with 2 quiet cores. One is 96DB and one is 93DB. It is also the same pipe Doug Gust, Jeremiah Jones, and Jeremy Lawson uses. It has to be a great choice.

just my .02 cents

RadRacer
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by YFZ racer #13
Have you ever thought about a Yoshimura??? Without a quiet core they are wicked, they also have a TEC kit and it comes with 2 quiet cores. One is 96DB and one is 93DB. It is also the same pipe Doug Gust, Jeremiah Jones, and Jeremy Lawson uses. It has to be a great choice.

just my .02 cents

A little too expensive. I'm probably gonna stick with the HMF, but now my parents are kinda changing their mind.....:(