PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the pros used them?

44oEX
04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
I am just wandering why the pros don't use turbo's? this might be a dumb question but they are always looking for the ulimate in power, is a turbo TO MUCH power? is there a rule that says they can't use them? I know there is turbo lag and it won't be as reliable but I mean they use them in race cars all the time.

Sorry it's it dumb, I just taught I would ask.

ReconRider25
04-29-2005, 09:53 PM
i think theres too much stop and go for it to be a benefit but then again they do help out in acceleration quite a bit. got me curious as to why noone uses them either. maybe the added weight.:confused: also do you know if they make a turbo for the 400ex? wouldnt be a bad idea to put one on..:devil:

Aceman
04-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes, they make a turbo for the 400. I don't remember the name but I think it's around 4 g's.

r-exrider0003
04-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah dirtwheels had a article about them a couple years back, i think they did it on the 400ex, and raptor....like 4-7 thousand for the whole kit

Ridin' Jesse
04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
because they dont wanna wreck n have to buy a new one! 4-7 down the drain if you wreck it..

Aallron
04-29-2005, 11:30 PM
The lag on turbos can be over come by just keeping the boost up ... Hurley Haywood used to be the factory Audi Quattro road car driver... being an all wheel drive car the engineers understood the straight aways belonged to the Vetts and Vipers, but the corners were Audis'. What Hurley did was right foot down ALL the time and left foot brake, when he came out of the corner the car shot forward. The rear drive guys complained that the Audi had an unfair advantage sothe officialsstarted to add weight to the Audis, they still won, more weight, they still won, then they just banned 'em.

44oEX
04-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse
because they dont wanna wreck n have to buy a new one! 4-7 down the drain if you wreck it..

if it would make them win I am sure money is no object for most of the pros, An if they wreck they don't have to worry about a turbo, they have to worry about there 20-25K quad

TheFontMaster
04-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
also do you know if they make a turbo for the 400ex? wouldnt be a bad idea to put one on..:devil:

44oEX has one on his 416;) Theres a thread on it in the open forum, it's pritty cool. I think the thing keeping them out of racing is that the turbo's are still mostly experimental, also I think they might make too much power.

44oEX
04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
44oEX has one on his 416;) Theres a thread on it in the open forum, it's pritty cool. I think the thing keeping them out of racing is that the turbo's are still mostly experimental, also I think they might make too much power.

it's not me it's juggalo. I saw that post and that is what got me thinking about the turbo for mx.

2muchquad
04-30-2005, 01:23 PM
a turbo on a mx bike would be not be feasible.could you imagine trying to modulate the throttle going off the face of a 80 foot double?if the turbo didnt build boost fast enough you wouldnt be ableto make the jump out of a sharp turn without much run at it.not to mention who could modulate the throttle going through the whoops with a 75 hp machine?plus it would wear out the average rider REGARDLESS of his conditioning.a turbo may work in roadracing or drag but not for mx or trail riding:D

TheFontMaster
04-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
it's not me it's juggalo. I saw that post and that is what got me thinking about the turbo for mx.

oops, I thought it was yours.

Juggalo
04-30-2005, 02:07 PM
its not my quad its my good friends quad thats turboed. his kit runs about 1800 but the production kits not out yet. heres the thread about it http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159102

as for the pros running them i think its just impractical running a turbo on an MX track. a road course is completley different.

wilkin250r
04-30-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't know as much about turbos as some, but I don't think a turbo would be very good for any type of tight or technical racing, like MX, or a good portion of a GNCC course.

Turbos make their power in the upper RPM range. This is great if you can allow the engine to rev to the moon (drag racing or road racing), or in such situations where throttle response is not a big issue. However, from 2000 to 6000 rpm, turbos do not significantly increase acceleration. Likewise, without special attention to keep the boost up, they have terrible throttle response and lag.

We've all heard the phrase "it's 95% rider" blah blah blah. That's not entirely true. It's the rider's job to maintain control at high speeds, it's the machine's job to GET to high speed as quickly as possible. In MX or even GNCC racing, the engine is most important between 2000 and 6000 rpm, right where turbos perform the worst.

MOFO
05-01-2005, 05:09 AM
I think another reason is reliablity... I'd love to see a turbo quad hold up for an entire GNCC race - week after week. I think its power vs reliability, and in racing reliability is the most important part of building a race motor. Todays new N/A motors from Yamaha and Honda produce more than enough power, especially when they are massaged by engine builders.

44oEX
05-01-2005, 11:47 AM
ok well I guess it all makes sence

thanks for the relies.

Cody_300ex
05-02-2005, 09:15 AM
What about TT or Flat Track tho? :devil: No huge jumps, usally not very much mud, mostly in the upper RPMS's:cool:

INFANTRY RACING
05-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't know as much about turbos as some, but I don't think a turbo would be very good for any type of tight or technical racing, like MX, or a good portion of a GNCC course.

Turbos make their power in the upper RPM range. This is great if you can allow the engine to rev to the moon (drag racing or road racing), or in such situations where throttle response is not a big issue. However, from 2000 to 6000 rpm, turbos do not significantly increase acceleration. Likewise, without special attention to keep the boost up, they have terrible throttle response and lag.

We've all heard the phrase "it's 95% rider" blah blah blah. That's not entirely true. It's the rider's job to maintain control at high speeds, it's the machine's job to GET to high speed as quickly as possible. In MX or even GNCC racing, the engine is most important between 2000 and 6000 rpm, right where turbos perform the worst.
actually from 2500 rpm up is where a turbo would be best. true for tight turning track turbo would not benifit due to the lag. But on more open tracks where you can keep it spooled up or in the dunes it would be an awsome power adder.