PDA

View Full Version : 96 honda 300ex carb question

obrut
04-29-2005, 06:46 PM
My quad will idle fine and seems ok at full throttle but its mid throttle that is messed up. I adjusted the valves and it has fresh full and plug. When its idling and i blip the throttle it will almost stall out. But if i slowly raise the throttle its fine. I also noticed that its completely fine if i keep the choke 3/4 closed, it revs right up. so does that mean the needle needs to be adjusted? This is a stock quad with a k&n filter. The pilot jet is a 38 and the main is a 122 which i belive is stock for my quad. Also the clip for the needle jets is in the middle, which way should i adjust it?

obrut
04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
I've done some more searching and i'm going to try a 40 pilot, a 125 main and lower the clip on the needle 1 notch and see if this helps, does this sound right?

HondaR
05-01-2005, 09:17 AM
i wouldn't change out the Slow jet or the main with just a filter..your going to have more problems ..adjust the fuel air screw or go down one on the clip.. with the K&N filter your getting more AIR meaning you need more Gas..that is the whole point in AIR/FUEL Ratio ..try moving the clip first if that doesn't work adjust the air/fuel screw.. when you move the clip down it makes the needle pull furthur up letting in more gas..when you go up it is the opposite ..hope this helps

jason4282002
05-17-2005, 09:18 AM
It could be your compression. mine had a valve that was sticking and it was loosing compression and it would start stalling when i got pretty close to top end.

bwamos
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Nah, just sounds like his Air Screw is to lean.

Turn it in a 1/2 turn (clockwise) and try it again. The K&N is probably just making him run a little leaner.

As a note.. don't blip it when it's cold.. it will die almost every time.. lol. Gotta let it idle for like 2 minutes before you can get away with quick rev's.

Once the Idle works well, you will want to do a plug check after riding it for a few minutes at 3/4-Full Throttle. White=Lean Black=Rich Brown=Perfect