PDA

View Full Version : CB advice

kicken250x
04-28-2005, 09:07 PM
i know there has to be some all knowing all seeing trucker guy hanging out here that can fill me in a little on a CB. im looking to buy one sometime soon only i know absolutely NOTHING about them. i want one under 175 bucks antenna and all. something that gets pretty good range. i talked to a guy that i know that does a lot of work with them and he said he hasnt heard anything but good (from the few people he knows that have them) about the Cobra 75 WX ST which is their new handheld deal with the buttons in the mic. the radio itself im not worried about being so small and what not but i dont want a huge antenna hanging off the back of my car since it will be going on a CRX i was looking through a JC whitney tonight and saw where they have a thing that makes your AM/FM antenna double as the CB antenna. anyone ever tried those to know whether they work worth a flip or not? is there a small about 6 inch glass mount or even a magnetic mount that works good thats not too outragiously expenisve? thanks for any help

duke416ex
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Question 1, why do you want a cb in a crx? Other than that, If you want a smaller antenna get a push pull amp on the cb and it will help its performance. We had one in a truck that had a range of about 25-30 miles or so on good days.

quad_400ex
04-28-2005, 09:18 PM
the best cb for dollars that ive found is a PC 68 uniden. they work awsome and have the chrome front for only like 80 bucks. if you get any magnetic anttenna it will work ok but my favorite is a K40 magnet mount wire whip which run like $80 or $90. this cb and antenna together will get you 5-6 miles easy.

knighttime
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
make sure you tune the antenna using a meter or somethin, i forget what this meter is called, but its used to trim the antenna to get good performance

JTRtrx250r
04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Any newer cb w/ the weather tracking channels suck, a good cb would be a Cobra 25,29 or 148. Dont waist time w/ a 1/2@$$ed antenna, the antenna is 80% of your system working. Also be sure to invest in a SWR meter, gotta have a good match to get out. Been BS'n on them for about 12 yrs, had abunch ...even been pinched by the FCC

:o :D
Depends on how well your set up depends on how well you'll get out, antenna, placement,match, good coax and ground-plane are pretty much everything to a mobile radio..
I can help w/ whatever you want to know, just ask..

rush298
04-29-2005, 11:57 AM
I would recommend a Cobra 29, the new ones with the Night Watch illuminated panels are running about $120. That leaves you with roughly $60 for a decent antenna (please dont go with a Fire stick!!!)

I'd bump it up a bit more and spend the money for a Wilson 1000 if you can...they make mag mounts and they work pretty well, but basically anything might look a bit silly on a CRX...I run a Francis Amazer 8 foot fiberglass antenna, and like JTR....been BS'n for years on it. Most people I know run the Wilsons or a Stainless Steel Whip. those are cheaper but they are very long and wave around a bunch when you're driving or in the wind...

CBs can be a lot of fun.....but for heaven's sake don't cop an attitude and think you're all that when you first get out there...you'll only tick people off.

I almost forgot........get a good microphone too...but that can wait until you've got your radio in good working order. Good luck!

JTRtrx250r
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by rush298
I would recommend a Cobra 29, the new ones with the Night Watch illuminated panels are running about $120. That leaves you with roughly $60 for a decent antenna (please dont go with a Fire stick!!!)

I'd bump it up a bit more and spend the money for a Wilson 1000 if you can...they make mag mounts and they work pretty well, but basically anything might look a bit silly on a CRX...I run a Francis Amazer 8 foot fiberglass antenna, and like JTR....been BS'n for years on it. Most people I know run the Wilsons or a Stainless Steel Whip. those are cheaper but they are very long and wave around a bunch when you're driving or in the wind...

CBs can be a lot of fun.....but for heaven's sake don't cop an attitude and think you're all that when you first get out there...you'll only tick people off.

I almost forgot........get a good microphone too...but that can wait until you've got your radio in good working order. Good luck! figured you might chime in to this 1...;)

BTW....SPANK!

rush298
04-29-2005, 05:03 PM
JTR:You figured huh?!.....lol ;)
And who are YOU to talk....YA MUDDUCK!!!! :macho:

Kitchen:

It doesn't hurt to have a bunch of friends locally to help you get in the swing of things..but there are always a bunch of helpful folks online that have ooodles of products, tricks, and doodads to help you "get out"...but my idea is Keep It Simple. you'll have the least amount of issues if you buy quality gear first, and that's all the way down to the connectors at the ends of the coax, and everything will last a long time.

I'm not advocating the use of an "amp" at this time...primarily, if you don't use it properly, you'll blow the rest of your stuff up, and you can get in trouble with the FCC if you don't run it respectfully and with a good idea that running them is illegal to begin with. It's in the rules....but...there are ways to make your stuff sound better and stronger but a good foundation can't be beat and from there you can tweak your stuff to meet your needs, that aren't illegal.

Oh and JTR:......(I was gonna throw in some comment about how you know I like getting spanked but decided against it....;) )

:blah:

10-4 Good Buddy!!!!

JTRtrx250r
04-29-2005, 05:25 PM
JTR:You figured huh?!.....lol ;)
And who are YOU to talk....YA MUDDUCK!!!! :macho:

Kitchen: uh...hun, its kicken, not kitchen! (that almost made you sound like the typical chick LOL, but I know your not "typical";) BTW, I was once a bigstrapper..remember? LOL

Shes able to explain w/ more patients and definition, she knows whats up!!

rush298
04-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I apologize Kicken for my being a nOOb and skimming your name......darn scroll must've gone to fast for me to catch it right....

I do have a little experience, and thanks JTR...it all comes with the territory....a long long long long long long long....time ago (yes I'm an old hag NOT) I got into this hobby and haven't found my way out yet. But along this bumpy road of life I've gathered at least a little bit of info...not to mention an ex that owns a CB shop.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I might not be able to answer them all....but I'll certainly try and point you in the (what I feel) right direction.

Breaker...channel 19...Breaker....

rush298
04-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Jeezz....I just made my self sound like I was 50....as if 31 isn't old enough...lol....*shakes head*

JTRtrx250r
04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
...not to mention an ex that owns a CB shop.
[/B] ...I gave him his 1st radio...well ok his 2nd...but his 1st w/SSB:D ;) :p

b/c Im :cool: ...that and I couldn't hear him very good :blah:

I gotta say... I sure dont miss those days.... talk about DUCKS!:ermm:

OK KICKEN... sorry to pimp on your thread man:o

Ask away!

kicken250x
04-29-2005, 08:44 PM
with all the info yall are shooting out pimp away brother!

duke416ex, the reason i want one is because a lot of my buddies have recently got into moble communication and are always on so i would have a quick connect to them without running the cell bill up. and plus...it never hurts to have a few extra sets of eyes lookin out for the popo.;)

for the antenna...i know what i want...kinda...i just dont know if it get good range http://www.zhongfa-cheng.com/products/carantenna/car_antenna3.jpg something that looks kinda like that that i could stick in the center of my back window. or one of those things i was talking about befor that turns your existing antenna into a dual use CB antenna

if neither of those would do me any good then what about one of those hand held deals? would one of them be worth spending my money on?

rush and JTR yall sound like you know what youre talking about and i appriciate the help!!

JTRtrx250r
04-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Honestly man... that unit you posted is 1 of those "designer" antenna's and wont work for chit, save your $$ bro

Theres many cool things about mobile radio's and its a killer way to stay in touch w/ buddys w/o bill's! Once you have the radio and antenna... its free communication! I had a 102 inch stainless whip on top of my rollbar on the truck and it looked like an RC:o :p
Seriously tho... if you want to get out good w/ it you'll need a better antenna, those Radio Shack 30-40 dollar jobbies are a joke also...the hi-end radio shack units are ok...but...

Mag mounts are cool in ways and not in others. cool in the fact you dont have any "hard-mounts" to deal w/ and you can change your groundplain by moving the antenna ... sometimes it helps w/ the match and sometimes dont. I'll type more later, if any Q's ... just ask;)

kicken250x
04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Honestly man... that unit you posted is 1 of those "designer" antenna's and wont work for chit, save your $$ bro

Theres many cool things about mobile radio's and its a killer way to stay in touch w/ buddys w/o bill's! Once you have the radio and antenna... its free communication! I had a 102 inch stainless whip on top of my rollbar on the truck and it looked like an RC:o :p
Seriously tho... if you want to get out good w/ it you'll need a better antenna, those Radio Shack 30-40 dollar jobbies are a joke also...the hi-end radio shack units are ok...but...

Mag mounts are cool in ways and not in others. cool in the fact you dont have any "hard-mounts" to deal w/ and you can change your groundplain by moving the antenna ... sometimes it helps w/ the match and sometimes dont. I'll type more later, if any Q's ... just ask;)

oh i had a feeling that antenna would be big haggard POS but i didnt know if someone knew of one like it (that small) that put out good range. soon im going to have a truck to play around in on the weekends and drive when its cold or overly hot outside (my car is striped... no heat or a/c anymore!) so being small wont be too much of a problem so whats a good whip to get? i dont want some little wussy *** antenna thats only gonna throw about 3 miles i want long range stuff

kicken250x
04-29-2005, 09:49 PM
oh, and what is "match" sorry if im asking stupid questions but like i said, i know next to nothing about them...im slowly picking up some of the radio talk but i guess thats one of those things u just have to learn as u go i guess. are there any other "CB terms" i should know? haha

TheX1992
04-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Quick question...How do you get in trouble with the FCC for a stronger CB? What does that harm? I'm not asking to argue, I honestly am clueless on this subject and it just seems weird to me. Will someone please fill me in?

JTRtrx250r
04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
There are "cb terms" but I dont use many... sounds too much like trucker talk:D but use a few:blah:

W/o getting super tech... you have to match your antenna to the radio, thats what the SWR meter does ,and it helps you know how many watts your putting out opposed to how much "loss" in signal you have, the worse the match... the chittier your system works. If its a real bad match.. you'll burn up the finals in the radio, it basically "dials-in" the setup. Its the tech part that gets most interested radio, you basically set up a small transmitting/receiving station. We have then in the rigs and at home(base station setups) Its a fun hobby... not so much talking on them... but learning about how it all works

It can get real tech and mathmatical... but it dont need to be at all

I hate to say it, but the book "the world of cb radio" would REALLY help you in an illistrated way, it keeps it simple for you and really gives you an idea of whats going on... otherwise this will become a TECH thread... which is fine... but its alot of typing for a simple thing. Surf the net for info too... theres a bunch, almost too much... well enough to get you in trouble!

The FCC wants ppl to use only 4watts on cb 11 meter radio, the more watts... the more power, so in other words... NO LINEARS or "PUMPS" (only for HAM operators w/ a license) but we all want to see how much power we can run:devil: ... its like modding your motor haha,

The key to gettin' out is a good setup and ELEVATION!!! Elevation is key! Ppl will run a "pump" if they dont get out and cant be heard, Some ppl will run a pump on top of a hill and dominate the channel.., some channels become a power contest w/ all kinds of hate and discontent, the FCC dont like that..or ppl w/ lotsa $$$ could build a 6365266365762659495090271 watt station. Theres many other reasons of course. We just use them for BS'n for the most part

K... Im all typed out for now, and probably made no sence:uhoh:

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
Any newer cb w/ the weather tracking channels suck, a good cb would be a Cobra 25,29 or 148...

Hehehe. since I'm shoppin for a new radio I'll chime in for a few ?'s
I know the 29ltd is a great radio and there are more than a few ways to modify it to get more reach, but what makes it better than a 29wx ? I like the wx on my current radio, but want to get something I can get more power out of:devil:
How does the addition of WX and ST hinder the performance of the radio? Or the ability to modify it?

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey man!:D I wonder if I could make the trip to you?haha (maybe)

The newer radio's w/ ST and WX dont take to mods as well, I think you can a tad, but w/ all the extra junk in there, you risk the chance of messing up something else and now days they make parts more digital.... probably not the best way to explain it, but I think you get the idea.

BTW , the best mike you can buy for a radio is an Astatic D104 m6B(or c..C stands for chrome)

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 01:53 PM
So your sayin the best one to get would be the 29LTD? Seems a shame to loose the WX to get our farther. But with all the noise in the air over here on this side of the mountains its hard to get out better than two to three miles with a stock radio and a matched antenna.

You think you could reach me from kirkland to enumclaw on a cb!:eek:

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Im up on a big hill and can make the trip to Olympia, Hood canal and a few others etc, some days are better than others of course, but its all in the tightness of the setup. I got damn near a flat match on my base antenna, ol' Cobra142 keys at a stock 4watts on am... but swings a tad:devil: shhhhh!

My 10 meter radio(converted) keyed at 10 watts and swung to 35+, but thats what brings the Feds around haha, you can get away w/ running 10 meter radio's in a mobile b/c its not stationary like a sittin' duck, just dont get caught :D We get WAY carried away on Ch8 up here... if you have kids, dont listen w/ them around type thing LOL, sometimes its just good old BS'n tho...

The older radio's are better and take to mods alot better, but not always, just in most cases. You might be able to pump that WX 29 up pretty close to a regular 29 LTD or GTL, Alot of Cobra and Uniden cbs have the same board in them, so it depends ...

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Hmmm... I'd just like to get 6 to 10 out of it, Im thinkin with a good matched antenna that should get me out like I want. :devil:

rush298
04-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Here's the deal. The simpler your radio...the less stuff to go wrong with it. The older Cobra style radios like the 25, 29 and 148 have been tried and true and tested over and over. If you can ever find an old 148 on ebay or at a Garage Sale snag it...get it "peaked and tweaked" by a tech and you have one of the best radios there is...period. If you can get it for less than a hundred you're stylin.

Hand helds aren't good for much except listening...and that's marginal at best. Their only advantage is portability...I'd take one on a quad with me if I were out in the hills.

and as far as Sound Tracker, (it's a feature on some newer Cobra models) it works best when you are talking to another radio with Sound Tracker....then it really helps knock out the background chatter. Other than that, there are a few other good radios out there. I personally run a Galaxy 959 DX, I have my 148 (owned it since 91 brand new in the box) as a stand by radio just because I've really beat it up, and I have a couple other "radios" that are my toys to be played with when I'm not in the mood to be completely "legit".

I use quality coax, and getting that in lengths of 3' will help you with a better SWR. Standing Wave Ratio....basically it tells you the ratio between the watts you put out and what gets reflected back into your radio (like JTR said). You would like a 1:1...that's a flat match...but if you get 1:2 you're headed into rough territory with reflect going to kill the electronics in your radio. I've had nothing but bad luck with Rad Shack coax, the ends aren't that great and they come in 5'and 10' lengths....not usually the best. But you do what you gotta in a pinch.

The trouble most people get into with the FCC is they "bleed" or their signal splatters and it interferes with neighbors stereos, phones, tv....you name it..if it's electronic, it can be interfered with. I had a friend be heard buzzing over his neighbors electric mixer...no joke. The more wattage you put out..the more likely you are to do that to something, or somebody somewhere that is going to complain about it.

Your attitude on the radio also helps a great deal. JTR is a cool dude and has had very few spats with anyone...but those that fight and do stupid stuff are more often going to be noticed by the FCC. I have a loud radio but I really do my best not to interfere with ham operators (they don't like cbers anyway) or businesses or neighbors, if I'm bleeding on my own TV it's likely that I do something to theirs. That only leads to problems.

Seriously...just type in some google words and go shopping...but look at the forums and stuff and get feed back on what you want. The shiny new items often aren't the best working deal. If you gotta "bling" then you don't want to get out very well.....IMHO.

I've given my list of good things to look for.

Radios:
148, 29, 25 Cobra
Galaxy 959 DX or a 949 if you don't need the frequency counter.

If you're really new...don't go with an "export model" or a 10-meter rig...they'll only get you in trouble.

Coax:

Belkin is usually the best....get it in 3 foot lengths...if it's for a car I usually buy a 9 foot section and a 3 or 1 foot jumper for the swr meter. Make sure you have good ends on it....the higher the quality of product the less bleed and lower match you will get = better signal strength. For a mobile application get RG 58U or mini8.... it's 58 ohm coax...for base station get RG 8 or RG 213...best quality for it.

Antenna:

Stainless Steel 102" whip. cheap, but long and not too pretty on a CRX.....lol...

Grey Francis Amazer fiberglass 96" whip. cheap too....doesn't flex as much and is a pain for parking garages (believe me I know!)

Wilson 1000 either Mag Mount or Hard Mount....best loaded (means the electrical length of the antenna is coiled into a "load" or section, thats the big black base of the antenna) antenna. And the whip out the top is either 3 or 4 feet tall...much easier to use for a car application, but it IS more expensive.

K40...s'alright, not had too many problems..but if you don't attach it to the base right it may pop off on the freeway (raises hand bashfully, yup first antenna...never went back to that one)

Don't go for Cobra, radshack, firestick, or generic antennas.....blech! They may be cheap, but they don't last long and you won't get out like a bad stink.

Ok I'm done with my novel for now. ;)

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Dang rush, I bet your fingers are sore after that:D I know a little about radios, I grew up in a house with a Yaesu (sp)101ee in the living room, dad had a president in the car and a galaxy(i think) in the truck. As I grew older he and an old CB buddy used to tweak 10 meters and am's for truckers they knew well enough to trust. My dad and I were going to build me a trick unit for a christmas present last year but he passed away before we got to it. I never got into it like he did but would still like to get a nice box to chat on. Most of my use is road trippin with freinds and callin the commute here local. What Im runnin right now barley gets the job done but its reliable enough.

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Here's the deal. The simpler your radio...the less stuff to go wrong with it. The older Cobra style radios like the 25, 29 and 148 have been tried and true and tested over and over. If you can ever find an old 148 on ebay or at a Garage Sale snag it...get it "peaked and tweaked" by a tech and you have one of the best radios there is...period. If you can get it for less than a hundred you're stylin.

Hand helds aren't good for much except listening...and that's marginal at best. Their only advantage is portability...I'd take one on a quad with me if I were out in the hills.

and as far as Sound Tracker, (it's a feature on some newer Cobra models) it works best when you are talking to another radio with Sound Tracker....then it really helps knock out the background chatter. Other than that, there are a few other good radios out there. I personally run a Galaxy 959 DX, I have my 148 (owned it since 91 brand new in the box) as a stand by radio just because I've really beat it up, and I have a couple other "radios" that are my toys to be played with when I'm not in the mood to be completely "legit".

I use quality coax, and getting that in lengths of 3' will help you with a better SWR. Standing Wave Ratio....basically it tells you the ratio between the watts you put out and what gets reflected back into your radio (like JTR said). You would like a 1:1...that's a flat match...but if you get 1:2 you're headed into rough territory with reflect going to kill the electronics in your radio. I've had nothing but bad luck with Rad Shack coax, the ends aren't that great and they come in 5'and 10' lengths....not usually the best. But you do what you gotta in a pinch.

The trouble most people get into with the FCC is they "bleed" or their signal splatters and it interferes with neighbors stereos, phones, tv....you name it..if it's electronic, it can be interfered with. I had a friend be heard buzzing over his neighbors electric mixer...no joke. The more wattage you put out..the more likely you are to do that to something, or somebody somewhere that is going to complain about it.

Your attitude on the radio also helps a great deal. JTR is a cool dude and has had very few spats with anyone...but those that fight and do stupid stuff are more often going to be noticed by the FCC. I have a loud radio but I really do my best not to interfere with ham operators (they don't like cbers anyway) or businesses or neighbors, if I'm bleeding on my own TV it's likely that I do something to theirs. That only leads to problems.

Seriously...just type in some google words and go shopping...but look at the forums and stuff and get feed back on what you want. The shiny new items often aren't the best working deal. If you gotta "bling" then you don't want to get out very well.....IMHO.

I've given my list of good things to look for.

Radios:
148, 29, 25 Cobra
Galaxy 959 DX or a 949 if you don't need the frequency counter.

If you're really new...don't go with an "export model" or a 10-meter rig...they'll only get you in trouble.

Coax:

Belkin is usually the best....get it in 3 foot lengths...if it's for a car I usually buy a 9 foot section and a 3 or 1 foot jumper for the swr meter. Make sure you have good ends on it....the higher the quality of product the less bleed and lower match you will get = better signal strength. For a mobile application get RG 58U or mini8.... it's 58 ohm coax...for base station get RG 8 or RG 213...best quality for it.

Antenna:

Stainless Steel 102" whip. cheap, but long and not too pretty on a CRX.....lol...

Grey Francis Amazer fiberglass 96" whip. cheap too....doesn't flex as much and is a pain for parking garages (believe me I know!)

Wilson 1000 either Mag Mount or Hard Mount....best loaded (means the electrical length of the antenna is coiled into a "load" or section, thats the big black base of the antenna) antenna. And the whip out the top is either 3 or 4 feet tall...much easier to use for a car application, but it IS more expensive.

K40...s'alright, not had too many problems..but if you don't attach it to the base right it may pop off on the freeway (raises hand bashfully, yup first antenna...never went back to that one)

Don't go for Cobra, radshack, firestick, or generic antennas.....blech! They may be cheap, but they don't last long and you won't get out like a bad stink.

Ok I'm done with my novel for now. ;) why, you were just getting started:blah: Killer post btw!

rush298
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Mang!

Yah, there's all sorts of stuff to think about when doing this stuff.

And don't forget to think about where you're going to mount the thing in your vehicle..if it's a brand new CRX....ya gotta worry about the computer placement of the car before you go running your coax right along side of it.....my friend's Xterra is a PITA for that very reason. Even her bone stock radio has to be buddy bracketed over the hump by the back seats just to be far enough away from the ECU so it doesn't mess with her engine.....sheesh.:huh

bulkdriverlp
04-30-2005, 04:39 PM
JTRtrx250r

i second everything you say to a T. i drove truck for 2 years and have been into cb's for about 8 years. now here is my opinion
for a crx.

radio: galaxy 66,cobra 29(no stupid wx)
hr2510.

antennae: wilson 1000. (nothing else)

external speaker. get the radio peaked and tweaked. should dead key 2watts and swing bout 34. you should be able to take 8-10 miles depending on hills. cbs work on line-of-sight. if you want a linear, get the palomar 225, mount it under your front seat. just dont do anything stupid when its turned on and you wont get caught with it. ok im done now

rush298
04-30-2005, 05:13 PM
The DX 66 is a nice radio..but it is an export and for cost saving....if you don't want to have to mod anything too much....Go with an "FCC Type Certified CB radio"...That means NO 10 or 12 meter rigs.

and the DX 66 costs about twice as much as Kicken has to spend..(it runs around $279 without modification) .same as the hr2510.

I've run a RCI2990, a RCI2970 and DX99V by Galaxy...all are very nice "Export" only radios (not legal for use within the United States as CB....ONLY HAMs...and they're not even supposed to use them if they've been modified to work on 11-meter. I use a Cobra 142 for a base station with a Silver Eagle D-104 mic...the mobile is a Galaxy DX959 with a D104 M6B made by Astatic for a microphone. I don't need to go off band: CB frequencies are 26.965 to 27.405 MHz... If I need a boot....which I don't use because the FCC is hot to trot out here....it a lil Skipper 350. or I'll go with a good competition amp that will take that little ol palomar (junk btw) clean out.

Kicken:

The wilson looks like it'll be the right quality antenna for ya. What's your maximum end on your budget?

I'm just siding on the side of caution for the person getting started, because if they get into the big stuff first...there's more potential for trouble especially if they abuse the equipment or the power and abilities those radios allow them to use. I'm not saying you will Kicken...I've just met way too many people that have gone way out of control with stuff.... especially when they just get started.

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
10-fer Bulk:devil: We got 800 watts out of my buddys system:uhoh: :muscle: but the stock chev 350 alternator couldn't cut it, even w/ dual Optimal batterys:devil: some guys go completely off the hook... rollin around in mobile microwaves haha

I think you can cook a hot dog on the antenna w/ 1200, some dudes go w/ 50,000+ and lots more than that from what I hear,...w/ reinforced chassis, 12 CAT batts,multipul HIPO alternators, grounded EVERTHING..doors frames, hoods etc.... far from legal of course!

but its like anything else,gotta pay to play, and sometimes gotta pay from play!

bulkdriverlp
04-30-2005, 06:25 PM
ha ha ah i had this '84 i think, ford tempo. everybody seemed to laugh at my launch pad and 102 on the truck lid, but they werent laughing when i parked 1/2 mile away and talk right over all of em. helps i was dead keying 2watts swingin 680,lmao oh the good ol days.....

kicken250x
04-30-2005, 08:19 PM
i really dont want to spend more than 175 but i always end up spending more than i plan to on things so some where around there, give or take 50 bucks.

for my first rig im not looking to be able to talk to someone in china. just something to keep in touch with buddies and have a little fun while im out on the road. all im looking for is about 5-7 miles for now hell, it dont really even have to be that far.

what is "dead key" and "swing"? how does the FCC catch people, hell what does FCC stand for? haha

where is the best place to go to find a radio? look online or is there somewhere i could go that would know something about them in or around Greensboro NC

i really didnt expect this thread to be as big as it is and i appriciate all the info yall are throwing out. if im asking stupid questions forgive me but im taking advantage of all the knowledge that is floating around here!

bulkdriverlp
05-01-2005, 05:09 AM
lmao i knew you were going to ask that.lol:o dead key is when you key up the mic and dont say anything. swing is when you key up the mic and dont say anything and then you beller "AAAUUUUDDDDIOO" and watch the meter needle peg all the way to the right.lol:D the FCC is the federal communications commission, they are in charge of monitoring all radio traffic, weather it be airplanes,train,radio stations,amateur operators,broadcasts,televsion, anything that is transmitted through the airwaves in any fashon. now, if you only want to talk 4-5 miles here is what you do, go to a cb shop or truckstop buy yourself a cobra 25,29 or something cheaper and get a wilson magnetic mount antennae. the best thing to do (especially down south) is find a cb shop after you buy your stuff. dont hook anything up until you find a cb shop. the reason being is they can check your S.W.R., that is standing wave ratio. its like the flow of the R.F. which is radio frequency. its like if you put a potato in your tail pipe and reved your engine at 6,000 rpms, the exhaust would back up in your engine and screw something up, cause excessive heat, same thing with a radio, it your rf isnt flowing freely it will back up in your radio and burn it up. if you have a good swr, (which has to be checked by a swr meter) it will be like running headers, free flowing and engine running cool. sorry for the dumb analogy but thats all i could think of. hope im helping.....:blah:

trick450r
05-01-2005, 07:00 AM
im doing the same thing...my friends and i are getting CB's because we dont feel like calling each other from our cars all the time...anyway..mines going in a 80' fj40 landcruiser the problem is i want to put it out behind my put the top comes off....so i would have to put it on the hood...my question is can i have two conection points and switch it when i put the top on...this will be mostly used when wheeling because all my friends are into off roading so i dont need much distance....i also have an 84' VW GTI but it would look so gay with a huge antenna im no0t going to bother....i would rather pay the cell phone bill haha;)

harescrambler45
05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
lmao you CB rambos are killing me.coming from a truck driver go to a pilot,loves,or flying hook.buy you a cobra,then take it to a cb shop have it peaked and tuned.pick you out an antenna and have them set the swr and your off.im sure you will also want an external speaker and have talk back but in it.you will like it.

JTRtrx250r
05-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
lmao i knew you were going to ask that.lol:o dead key is when you key up the mic and dont say anything. swing is when you key up the mic and dont say anything and then you beller "AAAUUUUDDDDIOO" and watch the meter needle peg all the way to the right.lol:D the FCC is the federal communications commission, they are in charge of monitoring all radio traffic, weather it be airplanes,train,radio stations,amateur operators,broadcasts,televsion, anything that is transmitted through the airwaves in any fashon. now, if you only want to talk 4-5 miles here is what you do, go to a cb shop or truckstop buy yourself a cobra 25,29 or something cheaper and get a wilson magnetic mount antennae. the best thing to do (especially down south) is find a cb shop after you buy your stuff. dont hook anything up until you find a cb shop. the reason being is they can check your S.W.R., that is standing wave ratio. its like the flow of the R.F. which is radio frequency. its like if you put a potato in your tail pipe and reved your engine at 6,000 rpms, the exhaust would back up in your engine and screw something up, cause excessive heat, same thing with a radio, it your rf isnt flowing freely it will back up in your radio and burn it up. if you have a good swr, (which has to be checked by a swr meter) it will be like running headers, free flowing and engine running cool. sorry for the dumb analogy but thats all i could think of. hope im helping.....:blah: great example Bulk!

Talkback is a real simple mod( think theres a couple ways to do it) but I take a 100 ohm resistor and solder it from your receive(at the mic din or plugjack) to the chassis of the radio, I usually run it thru a switch or potenti-ometer(sp) so I can control it, 2 things that dont go together well is talkback and external speakers ..(unless you have it so they cant feedback into each other....especially w/ a D104). Ive done a bunch of talkback mods. Real simple!

Trick... you can mount it on your front or rear bumber, or maybe make a mount on the rollbar. Where your antenna sits will make a diffrence how well it will work, but for wheelin'... you guys usually arent too far apart so its probably not that big of deal. (just be sure your SWR is good!)

Hare... your right, but its easier to know whats going on and not have to take it to a cb shop. Some are no diffrent than a bike/quad shop... they'll get you going... but need your return biz;) If you have to go that route... thats fine, but if its not decent and isnt real stable... you know your shop didnt do as good of a job as they could have ;) they do it to get you back in to make more $$$ off you in most cases.

Im the type that likes to know whats going on w/ my stuff w/o having a shop having to tell me

Just remember... a cb is a cb ,most dont vary to much in greatness to others (11meter radio's), but its the coax/antenna that makes the diffrence... that and its installation and how solid/tight it is. Any quick bends in the coax will act as a choke as isnt good... unless you have a WAY high match or blead over hard on things. If you have exess coax... its best to roll it in a 3ft loop(like behind the seat etc) Its all the little stuff that makes or breaks the station your setting up.... just like a modding a 4stroke or 2 stroke... its the whole package that makes the diffrence.

For ppl that like to camp .... you can take a peice of coax and make an antenna out of it alone. Take an 18 foot peice of coax...at 9 feet(middle) cut it's sheilding and seperate the core from the braided ground side... and BAM you got a 1/2 wave antenna, just tune it in by cutting a tad off each end checking the SWR. Theres all kinds of little things you can do, and most will make a diffrence...