PDA

View Full Version : how do you polish something?

yamahabrendon
04-28-2005, 08:26 PM
like what are the steps i never get it as shiny ias i want it so how you do it

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-28-2005, 08:46 PM
use the SEARCH button. wow you newbies

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149649

project R
04-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Says someone with new stock tires as a mod in their sig^

Calm down, no need to pms on him, obviously hes new to the forum.

Anyway, heres a great polishing how to from yfztech.com written by stevowpappas:

Aluminum is the easiest to polish. You can also polish things such as clutch cover, bumper, a arms

Materials and tools needed:
1) 1 pack of 220 grit automotive "wet" sandpaper
2) 1 pack of 300-320 grit "wet" sandpaper
3) 1 pack of 400 grit "wet" sandpaper
4) 1 pack of 600 grit "wet" sandpaper
5) 1 pack of 1000 grit "wet" sandpaper
6) 1 pack of 1500-2000 grit "wet" sandpaper
7) 1 small can of Mothers Mag & Alluminum polish

Note(you wont need much of any of the paper. Buy the smallest & cheapest packs avaiable)

First you are going to need to strip any paint off. You can use aircraft remover, paint thinner, or sand paper for this.

Next, use the 300 grit. Get a bucket of water and a chair. Start wet sanding all the scratches out.

Continue with the 400 and 600 grit in the same way. The metal will get smoother and smoother with each grit. And the bucket of water will be about black at this point.

Now the 1000 grit. Same way, with the water. At the end of this step, the metal will be pretty shiny, and as smooth as glass. Your fingers, on the other hand, will be sore, black, and pruny.

Final sanding is 1500-2000 grit. This will take out any surface sratches. and leave the metal perfectly smooth. When your done, clean the metal with soap and water.

The metal will look great at this point. Super shiny. Time for it to look like a mirror! Crack open the Mothers mag and alluminum polish. Mothers also has a new polish called BILLET Polish, which I think does a better job. Grab some rags and go to town. The end result will amaize you.

Total time for this project will vary. I am able to polish a clutch cover in about 1 hour. The alluminum is very soft, and can be easily damaged if you are not carefull.

After a while it will start to dull. This can easily be fixed with 5 minutes of time and some more mothers.