PDA

View Full Version : Pulling quads out of holes at dunes.

trailgoon
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Has anybody had any expierence of pulling a quad out of a hole (the way you went in is the only way out) with another quad? I would think that if you used a rope from the top of the hill it would just cut through the sand. Ideas/techniques would be greatly appreciated.

400EX QUADER
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Buy a winch;)

Scro
04-29-2005, 07:26 AM
y not just climb the hill

shellz4sand
04-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Find someone with a sandrail to pull you out!

SAND LUVR
04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
why not drive it out. Whats wrong with the bike. We need a little more details.

trailgoon
04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
This is just one of those "What if Scinareos" I was just thinking if your motor took a dump on you down in a hole how would you get it out if the damage was beyond fix it in the field. I am just afraid of the rattle that the 250r that I ride is something serious and the motor might take a dump. It is not in the top end because we just did a top end on it. 400EX QUADER I don't think you can put a winch on an R (no battery) thanks though.

SAND LUVR
04-29-2005, 02:38 PM
ok I get what your saying. when we ride we always carry a tow strap just in case. I am sure if this does happen you can have a truck or buggy pull you out. That is not a problem. You can even have 2 quads pull you out. 2 quads will work because we have done it before.

Jackie
04-29-2005, 03:17 PM
When I was at Glamis I went into a bowl that was tight enough to be a hole to go take a wee. Then I thought oh crap how do I get out. Spiraled my way out just like riding a bowl I just started from the bottom and made my way up. It was tricky to get started but it worked.

twisted threads
04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Just make sure you have a long rope back at camp and tow it out with a big bore 4 stroke, so you don't get rosted with sand and the 4 strokes have better pulling power.

HondaMan222
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
we use the scambler (4x4) and a 20 feet tow rope if the other bike don't run. If it rans and say you just slid it down a hill or whatnot, just get off it, keep it running, and use the bikes tration inch by inch to get it out. It saves alot of work over huffing and puffing, all you have to do is slip the clutch. Thats what works for me

Eddiesanders250
05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Just maintain your bike and check things over, then you will not have to worry. Also never go down something you have doubts about coming back up.

chad400ex
05-04-2005, 08:38 PM
What he said....if you don't think it can make it...don't do it. There's nothing worse than having to bust your arse for hours on end to get a quad out of a spot that it shouldn't have been in to begin with.

Better hope you have good friends and a tow strap otherwise. The strap will dig in a little bit, but it's not going to cut a path straight from the tow vehicle to the stuck quad.

plkmonster2
05-05-2005, 04:03 PM
When I go to sand lake I bring a come along. It's liek a hand winch. Works good if you have someone to go get it. I just wrap it around a tree, and pull myself out. It's tricky there because you could slide down the hill, and not get out becaus ethere are so many trees to maneuver around.

norcalatver
05-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Actualy happened to one of my riding buddies while we were in the Oregon dunes a couple months ago. His clutch fried while trying to get out of a dune. There is no other way out but up because the lakes at the bottom of the dunes. He was over a hundred feet down. We ended up buying 150' of rope and getting another friends 4X4 truck to pull him out. The dune was so steep and the sand was so thick and soft, that a quad wouldn't even touch pulling it out. We also put a board under the rope on the crest of the hill so the rope wouldn't dig into the sand while pulling him out. All i can say is 4hrs. later, and a clutch replacement later, we were back on the dunes!