PDA

View Full Version : Chain Master Link Has No Clip

soltvedt
04-28-2005, 02:48 PM
I recently bought a 520 o-ring chain for my 400ex and found out that the master link that came with the chain is the type that does not have a clip to hold the link together, and the side of the link doesn't exactly "slide" right onto the pins either.

So I am assuming I have to use a press to get the side of the link on, and then somehow mushroom the end of the pins to get it to stay on.

Has anyone seen this done, or done it themselves before? Any tips on how to do it?

soltvedt
04-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh, and then, is it possible to get the completed endless chain back on the atv after I have pressed it together?

I'm assuming I can get the chain on by removing the swingarm pin and the subframe bolts and then prying the frame apart to slip the chain in there.

Will this installation method for an endless chain work or not?

Xowner
04-28-2005, 03:42 PM
just go back to the place you got the chain and buy a master link
never heard of having to mushroom the end to get it to stay on?

but if you do ever get a chain with no master link (they do have them the 450R's have no master you just roll the carrier or take off the sprockets but you should have tot take the swing arm bolt out

sickmojave
04-28-2005, 03:46 PM
according to the manuel you have to take the swingarm off to get the stock chain off.. :huh

if it's an old chain I would just cut it off.. :devil:

MyFlyin450R
04-28-2005, 04:04 PM
You have to cut the old chain pins and then chain break them out. Install the new chain you baught, that chain requires that you press the link in ask you local dealer if they can do it for you. You need to put the chain on and then press it do not remove your swingarm unless you need to. Or you can return that chain and buy a chain that has a master link setup.

soltvedt
04-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I already have the stock chain off, I cut it off 2 chains ago, but I was just wondering how to get this new (now masterless) chain onto the machine (and if there were any tricks to doing it).

I just got done pressing the master link on in the shop, and we used a really shallow pointed punch to "spread" the ends of the pins after the side of the master was CAREFULLY pressed on in a press and a vise.

The pins were pre-drilled in the ends so that the end would mushroom or spread out when punched. (Like I mentioned above with a very blunt ended punch that wouldn't bottom out in the pre-drilled hole in the end of the pin. I didn't overdo the mushrooming...I will keep an eye on it.

Did I do this "funky" master install right?

Still wondering if I can slip this endless chain onto the atv by removing the swingarm pin...I'll see when I get back to the garage.

I'm still open to tips or suggestions or warnings if you have any experience with this type of master link. (I do have a second master link just like it if I have to redo it...)

MyFlyin450R
04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
I would call the dealer and see if they have the tool designed for pressing these together if not pull that swinger bolt.

soltvedt
04-29-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I unfortunately had to remove the swingarm to install the now endless chain. It was a pain since I had to remove:

1. Brake lever spring
2. Swingarm bolt
3. Skid plate
4. All three bolts in that arm thing under the swingarm
5. Little clamps holding the rear brake line
6. Left rear wheel
7. Case saver

Then I had to put it all back together.

Plus I was doing it myself, so I had to wrastle the swing arm down and out, and then wrastle it back into place while trying to get the pin back in without any help. (My suggestion: Get a buddy to help you when removing/replacing the swingarm if you still have your axle/wheels on...it's awkward.)

It took over an hour.

But I just hope I "mushroomed" the pins good enough now. I don't want to have to do it all again! :(

duke416ex
04-29-2005, 08:06 AM
If I had to do that everytime I put a chain on I would own nothing but shaft driven quads.:chinese:

Aallron
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Street bikes with big motors use a one time use rivited master link ... Motion Pro makes an excellant kit for both the master link and the rivit type chains.

btw, remember to put the closed end of the master link towards the motor as the chain pulls.

04-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by soltvedt
Thanks for the help guys, I unfortunately had to remove the swingarm to install the now endless chain. It was a pain since I had to remove:

1. Brake lever spring
2. Swingarm bolt
3. Skid plate
4. All three bolts in that arm thing under the swingarm
5. Little clamps holding the rear brake line
6. Left rear wheel
7. Case saver

Then I had to put it all back together.

Plus I was doing it myself, so I had to wrastle the swing arm down and out, and then wrastle it back into place while trying to get the pin back in without any help. (My suggestion: Get a buddy to help you when removing/replacing the swingarm if you still have your axle/wheels on...it's awkward.)

It took over an hour.

But I just hope I "mushroomed" the pins good enough now. I don't want to have to do it all again! :(

wouldnt it have been so much easier to go and just buy a 5 dollar master link? As long as i have ridden dirtbikes, 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers, i have never had a master link fail.. not saying they dont, just giving my experience.. I would MUCH rather have spent 5 bux for the master link than taken all that stuff off..

Jesse

soltvedt
05-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Sure thing Jesse. I would definitely have bought the 5 dollar master link if it was available to me at the time.

I unfortunately live in the stix, and all of my parts arrive in the mail/ups, so it kinda sux, and I had to work with what I got. I wasn't aware that I was buying the non-clip style master when I ordered it. A person usually assumes it's a clip style master when they buy chain.

But yes, my advice to anyone reading this post is to buy the clip-style master link. But in the case that you accidently get the "other" style like I did...you can either take it to a road bike motorcycle shop to have them install the master, or buy the special tool to install it or...

...do like I did, and use a vise, punch, and hammer as explained above. Then remove your swingarm. :(

The good thing about using the master that came with the chain (even if you have to "press" it on) is that it matches the chain perfectly (thickness, width, o-rings), so you don't have to worry about that one link being different (or weaker) or anything like that.

Over and out.

05-02-2005, 10:15 AM
roger that red squirrel

Jesse

soltvedt
05-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Huh, it's interesting that noone on this forum knew about this cheap little devise that would have saved me tons of work! And it's priced at $9.99!

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Graphics/TUS_05_CHA_PRE_TOO.JPG

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00105759

Looks like there was a simple and easy way to do this after all.

If you are reading this post and are looking for an easy way to install a master link like mine, buy this tool!

In case the link above goes bad, it's a "Tusk Chain Press Tool" and the description reads:

Makes press fit master link side plate installation simple and accurate. Fits most 520 and 530, standard, O-ring, and X-ring chains. Compact design perfect for the toolbox or fanny pack. Allen wrench included.

Hope this helps anyone installing this type of master link. Good luck!

MyFlyin450R
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by MyFlyin450R
I would call the dealer and see if they have the tool designed for pressing these together if not pull that swinger bolt.

I think I did tell you about that. " I would call the dealer and see if they have the tool designed for pressing these together if not pull that swinger bolt. "