PDA

View Full Version : Buying new furniture.

416exmx
04-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Well they are about to finish up my new house and I figured new house, new furniture. Well I went looking today and this was really the first time I had ever been. The last year and half I had used family hand-me-down furniture and had never bought new. Wow, what an eye opener. $3500 for an average bedroom suite. Add $1000 for boxspring/mattress, couple hundred for an extra nite stand, add few lamps and there goes 5K on just one room. Unbelievable! I mean this is good stuff but not top of the line either. A good sectional coutch ran around $1600, and I didnt see any regular coutches for anything under $700. Dining room table/chairs were over a grand with only 4 chairs and a good office desk/computer desk/chair was over a grand also. And like I said, this wasnt top of the line stuff either. And I dont even want to talk about big screens. The ole 32" will have to work for now. When I was younger and mom would mention new funriture to dad, I understand why he would gripe. So, what did you guys do, buy all new at once, buy new over a years time, buy used, use your old furniture, or just sit on the floor?

trailgoon
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Boxes and Milk Crates :blah: JK actually if you have the time and the skill and equipment available it is cheaper to build your own of the smaller peices. I built my self a night stand out of cherry in woodshop for about 100 bucks.

roostin_dale
04-27-2005, 09:04 PM
bean bags man!

Flip_SideEX
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Or you could just order pizza hut alot and make everything out of pizza boxes like they did on that really old comerical that was on a long time ago. But I suppose that only works for college kids throwing parties.

ballisticpb
04-28-2005, 11:28 AM
i just sit on my beer

shellz4sand
04-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Go somewhere else and price furniture.I owned a furniture store for a long time and that seems high.Just start with one room at a time, and buy a piece or two at a time.Try to find more warehouse style stores.They usually have better prices than the fancy stores.Happy shopping:)

blaster_rider68
04-28-2005, 03:55 PM
i just sit on my beer

thats awsome,must of took a long time to build

ballisticpb
04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
i have had that pic for ever.... i did not go to college... and my friends wanted to show me what they learned

roostin_dale
04-28-2005, 05:06 PM
actually, Big Lots is a good place. They dont have name brand stuff but it looks nice, its comfy, and its damn cheap..(compared to others)

416exmx
04-28-2005, 07:05 PM
I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy it all at once. We went to a few other places today and the place yesterday had better prices. It is prob one of the biggest furniture stores in the US.

Another thing, for diningroom table/chairs I am looking at the taller table that uses the 24" bar stool type chairs. They sit higher than the regular tables but not as high as like the pub tables. Are the taller tables the thing now? Also the color I liked was a wood top and an off-white color on the rest. It was called the distressed look. The white was rubbed off in places and looked worn. The more I looked at it and figured out what else went where, I think it would look good. My dad said "huh, that thing looks like it needs painted".

JTRtrx250r
04-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
i just sit on my beer LOL....comfy!:blah:

JOEX
04-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
i just sit on my beer
As long as you don't add any more 'carbonation' to it:o :p

LTandRaptorider
04-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
As long as you don't add any more 'carbonation' to it:o :p

can never have too much head... :eek: :p

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree, the prices mentioned, some of them seem kind of high.
We just bought an oak dining room set, table and six chairs for $300. Now regualrly the table and chairs tag for $800. But we were in the right place at the right time. Good deals are out there, you just have to be patient and wait.
Buy cheap partical board furniture, if your in a bind, and you can replace it as time goes by and you find great deals on stuff you like. We had a lot of cheap furniture when we got married, now everything in the house is solid wood, and built to last.

JTRtrx250r
04-30-2005, 10:58 AM
the only thing I know is ..if you have kids... its best to wait to buy nice furniture, otherwise it gets hammered w/ the quickness!:blah: This I know:ermm:

Woodsrider
04-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
the only thing I know is ..if you have kids... its best to wait to buy nice furniture, otherwise it gets hammered w/ the quickness!:blah: This I know:ermm:

Amen to that!

bulkdriverlp
04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
yea furnature prices suck, i paid 1,400 bucks for a amish oak oval table and 4 high back chairs about 5 years ago. paid 800 bucks for king size mattress and boxsprings. couches, the best thing to do is just cough it up and buy the good stuff, some couches are make from particle board, like o.s.b. make sure you flip it over and look at the frame. what we did was i was making good money drivin truck so the girlfriend got bunch of credit cards, we went around maxing them out, waited a year and she filed bankruptsy on 23,000 bucks worth of credit cards.lol. then 4 months later we got married.lol. still got most of the stuff too...