PDA

View Full Version : How do i take off the axle carrier?

05-17-2002, 02:07 PM
What tool do I need to loosen the chain tightener so i can get the axle carrier off. I know, get a manual, I know. I am getting one when i order my new axle carrier. OK thanks,

05-18-2002, 10:53 AM
NE1??

I have the tires off, thebrake rotor, the sprocket, the red tire thingies (sorry, im a newb). I just don't know how to get the thing that holds the sprocket to the axle off, and i don't know what tool i need to loosen the axle carrier.

exriderdude
05-18-2002, 11:13 AM
by red tire thingys, do you mean your hubs:confused:

do you have a 300 or 400:confused:

anyway, first you need to get an allen wrench and loosen the two bolts on the back of your swing arm. then you need to take off your lock nut. first loosen the nut closest to the swing arm(i think it goes up) then loosen the one closest to your tire(it goes down) when you got that done you have to take out a snap ring in there. then it should just slide off, you might have to beat it a little bit. the rest is pretty simple.:D

05-18-2002, 03:46 PM
ok, i got the lock nut out, and i already had the two nuts in the back lossened. I already had the nuts you talked about loosened also, however, i can't get that snap ring of for the life of me. how does it come off? Also, once that is off how to do i get the brake hub off? I tried beating on it with a rubber mallet but it aint going anywhere!!!

thanks for the help.

exriderdude
05-18-2002, 03:53 PM
you need some snap ring plyers, or you can try to do it with two screwdrivers or something. you need to get the locknut off before you can get the brake hub off.

05-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Ok, everything is off!! Hurray. I about killed myself getting the final snap ring off of the carrier, it sprung up about 20 feet and landed on my moms car. lol. its ok though.

I guess I will go ahead and order a new axle carrier now.

I have one more question....

How are you suppose to rotate the axle carrier? I was able to do it with a screwdriver and a rubber mallet but it looks like there is a tool that just clips right on. thanks./

exriderdude
05-18-2002, 04:26 PM
:confused: :huh im not sure what your talking about

where are you getting your carrier, i got mine from an ad in dirt wheels, i cant remember what its called, its a little ad that says hardcore performance or something like that, they have a lonestar for $159

05-18-2002, 05:57 PM
I was planning on getting it from Terry Marcum, someone said he could get it too me for 150 shipped. I emailed him but no response yet, I will have to call.

Ya know how when you rotate the axle carrier it will tighten up the chain? How are you "suppose" to rotate it. The stock axle carrier has three notches on it, and I dont know what kind of tool your suppose to use on it. thanks

exriderdude
05-18-2002, 07:02 PM
oh ok, just put a screw driver in there

05-19-2002, 09:14 AM
That doesnt work on the stock one. the screwdriver just comes out. Oh well, i know the aftermarket ones will be different. thanks for all the help.

Jim300ex
05-19-2002, 10:29 AM
C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\quad\axle asmb.JPG
this isnt working how do i post pics?

cdalejef
05-19-2002, 10:37 AM
On the stock carrier you use the same allen wrench that you used to loosen the pinch bolts. Just put the allen wrench in one of the slots and pull or push on it to adjust it. On the aftermarket one it should have come with a tool.