PDA

View Full Version : Tear down and rebuild time

dtmichau
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, this is the first time I am going to tear down a quad. Im gonna powder coat it and put it together with a slew of after market parts. Just wondering if anyone could give me some hints and pointers, maybe even a quick step by stepper on an approach to stripping the quad down to the frame. What parts can primarily be kept together? What parts have to be completely disassmbled? Etc.. Thanks for the help guys!

Evil_Apoc
04-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by dtmichau
Hey guys, this is the first time I am going to tear down a quad. Im gonna powder coat it and put it together with a slew of after market parts. Just wondering if anyone could give me some hints and pointers, maybe even a quick step by stepper on an approach to stripping the quad down to the frame. What parts can primarily be kept together? What parts have to be completely disassmbled? Etc.. Thanks for the help guys!

if you dont know, you should probably have someone who does disassemble it for you ;)

dtmichau
04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Kiss my arse ;), i am gonna have someone help me. But i would still like some pointers. If there is anyone else out there other than evil with a similar opinion, please hold it. However, if there are some folks kind enough to offer some advice, please do.

Pappy
04-27-2005, 05:33 PM
its not hard at all. the biggest obstacle will be the swing arm pivot bolt. if its never been out or properly maintained, you may have extreme difficulties getting it removed.

other then the pivot bolt, you can take pictures, label each part and keep the nuts and bolts labed for reinstallation time.

get yourself a good manual on the quad and it will help with diagrams and torque values.

the a arms can come off without removing the spindles and hubs if your not replacing them with afetrmarket. same goes with the rear end. you can unbolt the shock, remove the pivot bolt and detatch the rear master cylinder and remove the swing arm as one complete unit.

its all basic common sense, and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure it all out. make drawings and use labels and youll be fine.

kssandduner
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Definitely take lots of pics, even if you think you'll remember where everything goes!! For me one of the most difficult tasks was getting all the wiring back in the correct location on the front end under the hood. The manual doesn't cover this area very well either. Other than that everything went smoothly on mine.

Joe

Evil_Apoc
04-27-2005, 06:18 PM
for your first time, tape everything with matching numbers so you know where it goes. Torque everything to reccomended torque when your done. Use loctite.