View Full Version : When is it time to upgade from factory shocks??

YLW400
05-17-2002, 10:55 AM
This sounds dumb, but when is it time to upgrade? At some of the tracks I go to, I am consistently getting 6-7' high. I have NO clue what it's like to ride a bike with aftermarket shocks. Now you all know at that height if you dont have a down slope, it hurts fairly bad. I have over shot and jarred the h#$% out of myself. Just a quick question. Should I start saving my pennies???:cool:

exriderdude
05-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Should I start saving my pennies???

definitly;)

YLW400
05-17-2002, 11:13 AM
probably any other form of money I can scrounge up too huh?

05-17-2002, 11:20 AM
I would start saving quarters too..:D

If your jumping alot then you will blow out the seals in your front shocks and there is no fix for this. So you'll be stuck with a floppy front shock that is of no use on the trail..so I'd be saving as much as you can before you have a fowheela in the garage that you can't ride.

YLW400
05-17-2002, 11:26 AM
If I keep up at the rate I am going now, will I be ok, or will I be blowing them out shortly? How about the back shock? DO they hold up well? I have seen shocks from $600 up. If I am going to spend the money, I might as well get a good pair. At that point do I need to get new a-arms also? Or can I save my pennies again? I am gettting ready to start building my house here shortly. Makes it kinda hard.

Razorback
05-17-2002, 11:45 AM
rear shock should be ok, although you might want to get it upgraded in the future. just like rico said, you are well on your way to blowing the front. they won't last too long hitting jumps. don't worry about the a-arms yet. if you happen to break one, the stock ones don't cost too much to replace or you can upgrade after that. i would get the shocks first. any of the aftermarkets would be a world of difference, so go with what your budget allows.

05-17-2002, 01:16 PM
ylw400 it's hard to tell how long they will last,,it depends on how bad your abusing them. My stockers lasted for 2 months. They worked great on normal trails and moderate jumps,,but my first time to a real MX track with big jumps they lasted about 12 jumps and both front seals were blown.

The rear shock will last a heck of alot longer than the fronts and don't go get an aftermarket one just yet,,when it's time get the rear shock rebuilt,,much cheaper and will work as good or better than say a works rear shock.

YLW400
05-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Well I just got the EX in December. The 1st to be exact. 2002 model. This is my first four wheeler. I have went from barely hitting anything to average size jumps in a fairly short period of time. So I guess I might as well look a a decent pair of shocks huh? I know this could be a whole nother thread, but you guys seem to know what the he#$ you are talking about. What shocks would you all suggest? I want to start doing a little local racing here in De. soon. I am going to look a track that offers that tomorrow and see how it goes. So kinda keep that in mind when suggesting shocks. Also could you all give me a round about price on those? Your alls help is greatly appreciated

05-17-2002, 02:52 PM
i my opinion the fronts need to be replaced before you even make it home with the quad.

05-17-2002, 02:56 PM
ylw400 go to motojoe.com and go to the ATV's and then the shocks..it will give you an idea of different shocks and there prices,,there's also a Frequently asked questions on shocks at the same webpage read it also so you can understand all the varieties of shocks and what they do and how they perform.;)

YLW400
05-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Yea GNCCer, that would have been nice but my purse....oops did I say that out loud? I mean wallet wouldn't allow it.:D Thanks for all the help guys.

Dave400ex
05-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Save all the Money you can. That`s what I am doing. I`m saving for some PEP ZPS Fronts Shocks. I`m about half way. You will be Riding a lot Faster with New Shocks.

YLW400
05-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Is PEP the way to go? How much? Approx? Thanks man
'

kabd69667
05-17-2002, 03:49 PM
PEP is around $1350 for fronts and a rear rebuild and yes, they are one of the top brands

Dave400ex
05-17-2002, 03:52 PM
If you have the Money and the Time to Wait for them, YES. PEP is one of the Best, if not the Best. The Front Limited Mass are $750 and the Limited Mass Rear Rebuild is $289 from Baldwin. The Front ZPS are $895 and the ZPS Rear Rebuild is $425 from Baldwin. You will Wait 10-12 Weeks for the Fronts and 3-4 Weeks for the Rebuild Rear.

YLW400
05-17-2002, 03:52 PM
So ho w much am I looking at for just front?

05-17-2002, 04:59 PM
If money and time is not a problem get axis or pep shocks. They are the two best. jones used axis last year to win the gnc. Also gust is useing them this year. Tim farr runs pep front and axis rear. You cant go wrong with either of them. Also their is elka who is an up and coming company. I order elka long travel over 5 weeks ago and have not got them yet. So the fast turnaround is not ture. I hope they are not soft like i have been hearing or i will be very upset if i have to send them back after the long wait.

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I would start saving quarters too..:D

If your jumping alot then you will blow out the seals in your front shocks and there is no fix for this. So you'll be stuck with a floppy front shock that is of no use on the trail..so I'd be saving as much as you can before you have a fowheela in the garage that you can't ride.

Rico,
I hate to even ask this, but are you stuck with a floppy front shock..........?................LOL :D JIM

Dave400ex
05-17-2002, 09:32 PM
I have noticed that Doug and Tim are running Axis. I am surprised that Farr is. Baldwin doesn`t Sell Axis Shocks. Maybe more will start Running Axis.