PDA

View Full Version : whats the (worst) pipe for a 400ex

2004400exa
04-26-2005, 06:49 PM
i seen what pappy wrote he said whats the best 400ex pipe and people said this and that so whats the worst:confused: :

muddy400EX
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
cobra
dg
fmf megamax
e-series

e-series really isnt to bad but cobra is prolly the worst you can get for ne quad

04-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
cobra
dg
fmf megamax
e-series

e-series really isnt to bad but cobra is prolly the worst you can get for ne quad
i beg to differ on the e-series. i have one and love it. it has a nice quiet bark to it. after putting it on i gained so much bottem end. and now it hangs with my bros 400 with a yoshi slip on

ny300exrider
04-26-2005, 07:32 PM
yeah the e series isnt too bad, just weak when it comes to the mounting brackets and junk. ive heard that cobra pipes are pretty horrible

400exredrider
04-26-2005, 07:34 PM
never had one problem with my e series cracking or bending,,, and its been hit by a prarie,, lightly but it didnt even scratch it

JOEX
04-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I haven't had a problem with the E-Series either. I have heard of some problems with the welds cracking, I belive the reason you hear so much about this is because there are so many e-series pipes out there.

Alot like the Durablue axles and Works shocks. They aren't 'bad' products nor are they top of the line products. They are just high production products and some people put them to extreme use that they weren't designed for.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone's situation so don't get your panties in a wad and start complaining how you did nothing wrong and the part just fell apart:o :)

Of course this is JMO;)

400exredrider
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
exactly.... they are very popular pipes.,.. and onces someone rips theirs apart they bring it here and complain because they lost a pipe

wheeltrax
04-26-2005, 08:17 PM
i loved my e series on my 250x i had.

shawn1103
04-26-2005, 09:12 PM
i would have to say that dg is the worst. one of my buddies owns an atv shop and almost everything that has come in with a dg pipe, the pipe was junk on it.

DeerNuts
04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
This thread is all about personal opinions, its hard to come up with facts because everybody's situation is different. The e-series on my old 400ex, which I liked a lot, broke. (mounting bracket of course). the pipe had not been hit hard, and the bike had not been ridden very hard.

Everybody loves HMF, but I cant figure that out because they leak. They are also not top-of-the-line.

Everybody hates DG. I dont, and thats because I have one. Seems the people that bash the pipe either do so by word of mouth or what they have read in dirtwheels:rolleyes:

To me, the DG pipe i have (rcm) has nothing wrong with it. the slip-on is doing what i wanted: increase my hp a little bit, and give me better throttle response. the quality is there; the pipe has been beat and driven into soft ground because its so dam long and its held up.

Im not saying my dg is the best, because its not, but its certainly NOT the worst.

coryatver
04-27-2005, 09:55 AM
DG is the worst. The white brothers E-series at one point was the best you could get for a 400ex.

400exrider707
04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
DG is the worst. The white brothers E-series at one point was the best you could get for a 400ex.

Hes right the E series was the pipe winning all of the pipe shootouts for the 400ex when it came out. They are two different ways of looking at this question though. Worst performance pipe, or worst quality pipe. The DG and Cobra are probably the worst quality, but I've heard good power gains from people who have used the DG.

coryatver
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
When tim far was sponsered by DG he didn't even use there pipe. The pipe was some kind of custom version with a DG sticker on it. Now that he races for honda he uses a white brothers.

huffdaddy_400EX
04-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 2004400exa
i seen what pappy wrote he said whats the best 400ex pipe and people said this and that so whats the worst:confused: :

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the stock pipe yet. This is usually the very first thing we replace on a quad...why...because it too restrictive...we all want more HP...and the stocker just doesn't cut it. :D

04-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I can't belive what I'm reading in this thread. The worst pipe is that piece of ish thing the call a pipe on all stock bikes. Yes I said it!!!!! The worst pipe is the stock pipe. Other than that big chunk of metal you should be good with any pipe you want. A DG, Cobra, White Bros, and FMF are all better than the stock pipe. Word of advice most of the people on this site are LIARS be careful on who you ask for advise. Too many of these guys read ATV magazines and all that other non-sense and then think there certified mechanics. A message for you all "DG is good, Cobra is good, FMF is good, and White Bros is good." If any of these pipes were "the worst" the companies would be out of business. Call me crazy, but I just bought this Xbox game for my kid and I think its called MX v.s. ATV unleashed and I guess all "the worst" brands are shown in the game because they suck. Not because the have a long line of great perfomance and quality over the past years.

Joe400ex
04-27-2005, 02:13 PM
ya cobra sucks i had one on my 400 when i bought it but hey it sounded good. i am happy with the lrd full :)

04-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd rather have a Cobra pipe rather than a stock pipe buddy!!!!!

underpowered
04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by TheTman
i heard the blue maxwell house slip on does wonders