PDA

View Full Version : How much better are $500 Elkas than the stock 450r fronts?

96lapis coupe
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
My buddy has an 04 450r with HRC kit, UNI filter, and an HMF slip-on, and Holeshot XCRs on ITP C-series...he's talking about spending some coin on some more motor work (porting and high-comp piston most likely) and I'm trying to push him into spending some money on the suspension. We don't MX race, but we do a few harescrambles/XC races each year. Would the $500 Elka Recreational shocks be a noticeable upgrade from the stock R front shocks? Planning on keeping the stock a-arms also....

Tumbleweed
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Great Question, I would like to know as well. Saw the ad here and took a look at them. They look nice, if they are 50 percent better I would pay the price but I have not heard anything yet. I was looking at the Dune Kit/package. Somebody tell us!!!

thump4863
04-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Don't know much about the recreational elkas but if your on a budget check into getting them revalved. My dad got his done by C &D and got a triple rate front and a dual rate rear for $550 and they are 100% better than stock. They almost feel as good as my full elka race setup. Just a thought.

04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
for the $ get all 3 stockers redone + the rear link. it will cost about the same . i had gt thunder do mine w/ progresive front sprigs and they are HONESTLY just about as good as my budy's 3000 elka set up. HE"S PISSED;)

DirtDevilBT
04-27-2005, 09:35 PM
The revalve is probably your best bet. With the recreational Elkas you lose rebound and compression adjustability, not to mention the piggy back rezzies.

04-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 96lapis coupe
My buddy has an 04 450r with HRC kit, UNI filter, and an HMF slip-on, and Holeshot XCRs on ITP C-series...he's talking about spending some coin on some more motor work (porting and high-comp piston most likely) and I'm trying to push him into spending some money on the suspension. We don't MX race, but we do a few harescrambles/XC races each year. Would the $500 Elka Recreational shocks be a noticeable upgrade from the stock R front shocks? Planning on keeping the stock a-arms also....

You will see a major improvement with the elkas, but you will have no adjustments or ressies, you would be better off getting elka to revalve all of your stock shocks, set them up for no preload and get a linkage, thats a better setup for the money

TAZ450r
11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
"The best you've ridden is the best you know"

I have 2+ a arms! for a year i have bean riding whit stock suspension, im pretty happy whit it! But it bottoms out :rolleyes: ! So i was considering buying ELKA reactionals, is it worth 300 dollars extra to get the REMOT moddel?

im riding MX and FMX.

i was also considering, FOX FLOAT (not evol), will they work for MX? and will they work better or worse than the elka rec?

im frome sweden so my english is pretty bad, sorry!
And yes, i know that rebuild probebly would be the best! but unfortunately i have not found some one in sweden that can rebuild them for me, so that not an option!

JCoop
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Do not buy the Elkas. Get the Stock Shocks reworked by GT Thunder and get his rear link. You could have GTT do all the work for the same amount of money and it will be much better. Elkas are notorious about not being valved correctly when you get them, so the chance on having to get the Elkas revavled too is a great possibility. And, like others have said, you do not get any adjustment or resi's which means faster shock fade.

Good luck.

04TRX400EX
11-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by JCoop
Do not buy the Elkas. Get the Stock Shocks reworked by GT Thunder and get his rear link. You could have GTT do all the work for the same amount of money and it will be much better. Elkas are notorious about not being valved correctly when you get them, so the chance on having to get the Elkas revavled too is a great possibility. And, like others have said, you do not get any adjustment or resi's which means faster shock fade.

Good luck.

True, Elka does have some issues valving shocks correctly, but if they are not right the first time, you can send them back and they will rebuild them at no charge.

That being said, stick with the 450R shocks. The compression and rebound adjustments are nice to have, rezzies are always a plus, and a properly setup front and rear, especially if converted to ZPS, will make a world of difference. Be sure to check with C&D Racing before you decide on your course of action.

BlaineKaiser450
11-19-2008, 04:33 PM
anyone else realize that this thread is 3 years old?:ermm:

but on a side note, revalves are the way to go for that price