PDA

View Full Version : using chain breaker

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
hey i dont want to sound like an idiot but ive neevr used a chain breaker. I just got one and i dont want to mess it or my chain up. I did searches but none said how to use it. If someone could give me some good directions i would appreciate it. thanks

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
What type/brand do you have?

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 02:00 PM
drag specialties

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Is it a push pin type, or an "actual" breaker? What i mean is, does it push the pin out of the chain...or snap the chain in half.

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 02:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/JBhonda400ex/DSCF0092.jpg

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Clamp it on the side of the chain, align the push pin with a pin on the chain, screw it in and the pin will push out the otherside...will be a little hard in the beginning as the pin is being puched...but it will get easier as you go

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 02:26 PM
word, thanks man. i just didnt want to break anything

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
well not my chain breaker is broken. I called the dude where i bought it fron and appearently you are supposed to grind down the pins before you try to use pin to screw it in. Im kind of pissed now because thats $18 down the drain. Oh well its not your fault, guess its mine for not asking a professional opinion. If i am supposed to grind them down what is the point in a chain breaker? YOu can just use a grinder :huh :confused:

sickmojave
04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I have never had to grind the pins :huh

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I have the same model type and have broken many chains and never have I had to grind the pins down...that's BS!

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Did you buy it from drag specialties? I would call them and have them send you another one.

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by huffdaddy_400EX
I have the same model type and have broken many chains and never have I had to grind the pins down...that's BS!

yeah i know wtf? was he bull****ting me. I called because its about a 35 minutes. I go to them because i normally trust them, the other dealership is about 10 minutes away but im not a big fan of them. Here's a pic of it broken. what should i do? do you think they'd give me a re fund?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/JBhonda400ex/DSCF0093.jpg

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I have a patton chain breaker....here are their instructions...and no where do they say to grind the pin!

http://www.pattontool.com/25thru60.htm

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Call drag specialties direct. They should help you out...if they stand behind their tools.

Hondadudeehhhh
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
thanks for that. Those two chain breakers are the same damn thing! Just different brands. Maybe the one i bought was a low qulity one and shouldnt be mad at the middle man. but come on why would the guy lie to me?

huffdaddy_400EX
04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
who knows...he may not want to replace the breaker...so he'll push the blame to you.

NacsMXer
04-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
well not my chain breaker is broken. I called the dude where i bought it fron and appearently you are supposed to grind down the pins before you try to use pin to screw it in. Im kind of pissed now because thats $18 down the drain. Oh well its not your fault, guess its mine for not asking a professional opinion. If i am supposed to grind them down what is the point in a chain breaker? YOu can just use a grinder :huh :confused:

Been there, done that. I snapped the threads clean in half the first time I tried to use my Motion Pro chain breaker. I made the same mistake, you always have to grind down one side of the rivet flush with the side plate before you press the pin out. It's like trying to push a square through a round hole; the rivet is much larger on the outside as the inside, that's why you need to grind it. After you grind it, you can use the chain breaker to press out the pin. Don't be fooled by the name of the tool: "chain breaker". It is intended to "press" out the pin after you grind the head off of it. Yes you can just use a grinder, but after that, you need the chain breaker to press the pin out. ;)

KYmxracer52
04-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Or do like I do and use a hammer and punch. Only place I see a chain breaker would do any good is when installing a master link.

aviator4
04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
KYmxracer52, I'm with you. Hammer and Punch is the way to go, most of the time.

I can see a usefullness of a chain breaker when removing an oem chain with no master link. While I've never heard of HAVING to grind the rivet heads to use a breaker, I have done it when a chain was being a PITA or was rusted. I've also used a breaker when installing a new custom length chain, it's easier than pounding on the link using the hammer and punch method, besides, I have a hard time taking hammer to something that's brand new. :D

I wouldn't go taking a hammer and punch to a chain that's still on the bike though, you'll end up messing up your sprocket.