PDA

View Full Version : yfz vs 450r for mx

pred67
04-26-2005, 09:47 AM
I currently race a 2003 predator with quite a few mods, this fall i am looking into one of these quads, due to the fact that preds now lean more towards trail riding. I will probably keep the stock suspension, although i will widen it, get a pipe, cam or cam mod, high flow airbox setup. I am a mid to upper B rider, 6'1'' and around 215Ib. And yes i'm sorry becuase this has probably been posted before.

RedRacer44
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I hope you posted this in another forum besides here because you'll probably here a few biased opinions on this subject soooo...

In my own opinion, you wont go wrong with either bike. 1 major factor I see is that you are kind of a bigger fella so the Honda might feel more comfortable. But then again, my buddy is like 6'2 or so and he races his YFZ just fine sooo I dont know.

The YFZ will be cheaper to mod as far as performance with just doing the cam mod vs. buying a cam. With just doing this, the bike should be pretty reliable also.

Also, with the Honda if you're running the stock suspension, sometime down the road you could just convert your stock suspension to ZPS/Triple Rates in the front and ZPS/dual rate in the rear.....save ya some $$$ over buying Elka, PEP, Axis, etc...

What you really need to do is try and ride both bikes, that'll be your best bet on deciding. Anything anybody tells you here is going to be hard to judge......

pred67
04-26-2005, 11:28 AM
yes I did post this on another forum also

Out_Sider
04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
i say that if you're goin to leave the quad mostly stock that the yamaha will be your best bet, as it is a better motocross bike out of the box

Raptorride
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I've ridden both and im 6 foot tall the 450r fits me alot better the yfz just felt tiny but i havent ridden either around a motocross track so i dont know.

04-27-2005, 12:51 PM
if leaving it stock or close get the YFZ and just get some taller handle bars and bigger stem and nerf bars....

jshtex
04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I just wanted to take a minute to say OMG, thank you guys for not starting a bashing thread. I think both are great bikes and no matter which one you pick the quad won't be holding you back.

Like they said find a dealer or a friend who will let you ride one of each and then decide based on what you want.