PDA

View Full Version : Found Mobil One red cap in Mass!

BassGin3
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
There's a good amound left at the advance auto parts store in tewksbury mass if anyone in the area has been looking for the stuff. I was able to grab 14 quarts today.

Rico
04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Run heavier clutch springs and you can run the new stuff.... and it's even better for your motor than the red capped stuff.....:eek:

sickmojave
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Run heavier clutch springs and you can run the new stuff.... and it's even better for your motor than the red capped stuff.....:eek:

:eek: I wish I would have known that before I cleaned out kmarts stock of the old stuff :chinese:

BassGin3
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I think I'm hooked on red cap. It's worked great so far for me, but when I run out, I think I'll take your advice Rico and just run the new stuff with heavier springs. Has anyone tried running the new stuff with the stock springs and had a problem? I guess by the time my supply of red cap runs out, I'll hear more about the new stuff and how it's working for everyone.

jjohnst03
04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Will the mobil clean 5000 work for the 400EX? I bought a case of it the other day thats why I am asking.

edit: I bought the 10w-40 weight. On their web site it says that it is not "Energy Conserving" and that it doesnt have the friction reducing additives that the 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 have. I dont see why the clutch would have any problems with this oil.

NacsMXer
04-26-2005, 10:03 PM

I'm pretty sure you're serious because this is news to me. I already have the heavy duty springs but running the new stuff with friction modifiers is contrary to everything I thought was good for the clutch.

Don't the friction modifiers become impregnated within the clutch fibers causing them to slip? I can sort of see how heavy springs would help this condition, but wouldn't you be "riding the edge" so to speak, being at a disadvantage in clutch performance compared to a non-friction modified oil? Can you verify where you heard this info?

I might hit up Laz tommorrow to see what he thinks, I'm weary the new Mobil 1 will decrease my clutch life over the old stuff.

Thanks in advance for your take on this. :)

jjohnst03
04-26-2005, 10:07 PM
from mobil ones spec sheet the 10w-40 doesnt have any friction modifiers in it.

jjohnst03
04-27-2005, 01:40 PM
you got any answers on this rico or anybody else???

Rico
04-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by jjohnst03
you got any answers on this rico or anybody else???

What color is the cap on the oil you bought??

Rico
04-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I'm pretty sure you're serious because this is news to me. I already have the heavy duty springs but running the new stuff with friction modifiers is contrary to everything I thought was good for the clutch.

Don't the friction modifiers become impregnated within the clutch fibers causing them to slip? I can sort of see how heavy springs would help this condition, but wouldn't you be "riding the edge" so to speak, being at a disadvantage in clutch performance compared to a non-friction modified oil? Can you verify where you heard this info?

I might hit up Laz tommorrow to see what he thinks, I'm weary the new Mobil 1 will decrease my clutch life over the old stuff.

Thanks in advance for your take on this. :)

I've been running the new advanced formula with the friction modifiers for about a month now and there's no slippage at all. I can slip the clutch in corners and let it out and the front end climbs to the sky. If anything the new stuff will make fiber clutch plates last even longer......:eek2:

jjohnst03
04-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Its red. The new red. I found an answer though.

ALL OF MOBIL 1 OIL....EVEN THE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC STUFF HAS MOLY IN IT!!!!

I found a forum with a LOT of good info about oil on it. They do frequent VOA of oil so they detect any changes that are made to the oil. After seeing that Mobil 1 puts moly in their cycle oil I am just going to stay away from them all together. I know you said that with heavier clutch springs it would work, but I dont want to dig into my stock motor yet.

I am going to use Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. Rotella uses NO moly in ANY of their products. I also found this out on that other forum and Rotellas' forum.

Thanks for the help guys...I'm glad I didnt take my assumptions and pour this stuff into my motor. Now I have to talk wal-mart into taking it back...thats a whole other story in itself. :blah:

jjohnst03
04-29-2005, 07:50 AM
I've been running the new advanced formula with the friction modifiers for about a month now and there's no slippage at all. I can slip the clutch in corners and let it out and the front end climbs to the sky. If anything the new stuff will make fiber clutch plates last even longer......:eek2: All this talk about moly gets confusing. I think that some of the "moly is not good" stuff comes from the quad builders. They want to scare you into using their oil that cost just as much as the other stuff, but is inferior to it. On that note I have used Pennzoil 10w-40 in my Rancher from day one and have had no clutch problems. I just found out last night that Pennzoil indeed puts moly in their oil.

I really just dont feel like findint out later that I made the wrong choice. I would rather run a synthetic anyway over a petrolium. So why not use the Rotella? It is a synthetic oil, is the right weight, and contains no moly to worry about. It sounds like a winner to me!

DeerNuts
05-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by cracer250
This stuff if GREAT oil for the EX's. Mine quit smoking and everything.

Im no engine expert, but how exactly does an oil make an engine quit "smoking and everything?"

If your engine is smoking, that's because it is burning oil, right? So how does another oil fix your leak?

fire_400ex_26
05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
what a bout amsoil 10w 40??

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 04:30 AM
i run amsoil in my bike and i love it