PDA

View Full Version : wheel/tire size

troutman561
04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
im lookin to buy razr 2's for my 400., there are a few sizes, stock tire/rim size is 20x10-9 for the rear.. and then the rims online as choises to buy are aluminum or steal .125, .160, .190, do i get cloest to stock size at 20x11x9 or the 22x11x9, and one which size rim

JOEX
04-25-2005, 08:39 PM
The tire size choice depends on your riding conditions....

The first number on tire sizes is the overall diameter, some manufacturers don't have accurate number though. This choice will reflect your riding conditions.

Generalizing here: 18" is for MX style riding, 20" is for all purpose riding and 22" is for rough cross country riding where ground clearance is a concern.

The second number is tread width, this number isn't real critical when choosing tires unless your buying tires for a specific use.

The third number is most critical, it is the it is the rim diameter the tire will fit on.

.125, .160 and .190 is the thickness of the metal the rim is made of, the higher the number the thicker the metal. Stock rims are very good rims, they have a 'rolled edge' which give it strength. D.I.D is now making stock style rims at a reasonable price, i'd get those before the standard Douglas or ITP rims.

Steel rims are stronger but much heavier than aluminum rims, very few people use steel rims on a sport quad.

troutman561
04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
i ride open trails most of the time so i guess im goin with 20x11-9, thx for the info it was helpful