PDA

View Full Version : my 400ex just stopped having power

05-16-2002, 08:43 PM
i own a 2000 400ex and i was driving it and all the sudden it lost all power. i can still ital but when you hit the gas it wont even do a wheely. It just lost all power in a second. i have tride the carb and thats not the problem what should i do?

05-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Punt

I don't know sounds like it is not getting enough air

05-16-2002, 08:47 PM
tride the air flow and that was not the problem either

R-Crazy
05-16-2002, 08:56 PM
clean you gas filter and jets. maybe left a towel in the air boot when cleaning the air filter (i have done that before).

dave

Leo
05-16-2002, 09:04 PM
did you check to make sure the throttle blade + slide open when you hit the gas..? there have been a couple folks who have recently reported the screws vibrating loose that connect the linkage to the slide..

if the slide doesn't open, she's not going to go :)

Leo

yellowrider
05-16-2002, 09:11 PM
man everyone 400 is screwing up that i know of .......... thats not good!!

i think i did alot to mine today by jumping one little hill ......:devil
anyways if you havent read my post please!!! do it i am scared to death man my mom is gonna kill me i had it for a month or two it needs front and back tires and brakes and i think handle bars cause i just went out there and they look a little bent on one sside and i have never fliped before and as far as i know none of the people i let ride it has fliped either but i dotn know..

iare you sure you didnt run it with no oil and blow her up ??

or maybethe vent thing on the gas cap is not twisted up cause that will do the same thing cause i have been there it just shut opff back fired and it wouldnt start up..

and i also hasd a wire that came unplugged that wouldnt let it start which sucked reallyk bad

05-16-2002, 09:42 PM
i still have tride it all and it wont work i am thinking it might be somthing electrical enybody that might know enything let me know thanks

Zingnut
05-17-2002, 09:16 AM
I used to have that issue with my street bikes. It was always a fouled plug. Give it a shot and see. Just a suggestion.

05-17-2002, 11:13 AM
yes i have changed the plug several times and that did not help but thanks for the suggestion. any thing else? i think it might be the ignition box. what do you think:rolleyes:

oynot400
05-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Will it rev up at all, or just idle? I had that same problem that Leo was talking about. If it just happened all of a sudden that would be my guess. :confused:

Wheelie
05-17-2002, 01:10 PM
I agree with Leo. Remove the intake tube that goes from the filter to the carb and look inside the carb as you slowly open the throttle. Watch the slide valve to make sure it has a full range of motion.

I had the screws come loose on mine at the dunes last fall, limped it back to camp......had it good as new within an hour.:)

R-Crazy
05-17-2002, 05:48 PM
ive never heard of that happening. give it a shot. it isnt going to hurt.

dave

honda400exrider
05-17-2002, 05:58 PM
u should ask yer honda dealer. mine is a year and a half old and can still wheely up to 4th gear
good luck though

Ricky g
05-17-2002, 06:01 PM
MAke sure the choke is not on. up, I think.

Ricky g

05-17-2002, 07:12 PM
mabe a blown headgasket.
with that it will still run but it will have less compression...
less compression=less power.
check that out.
everything eveybody else said check that out also.

Lorduss
05-17-2002, 10:58 PM
"i have never fliped before and as far as i know none of the people i let ride it has fliped either but i dotn know"

you let people ride your bike ? and even when your not around to see what there doing ? damn, no one touches my bike, only my dad.and thats cause its his till i pay him off =)

ride300exred
05-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Check your fuses ,
I blew a fuse on my 300 and had a similar problem .

05-20-2002, 11:19 AM
I tried all that i knew and with the help of you i found out that it was the screws in the choke plate hat had rettled loose thatnks alot.