PDA

View Full Version : Flipped!!Little water in airbox, and oil. 400ex

wheelinforlife
04-25-2005, 05:52 PM
My 400ex was upside down in a little pond for like 10 sec not to deep but... i know i should change my oil. But what should i do with my air filter? I'm letting it air out. What can i clean it with? Did i damage my motor at all? Another thing I noticed my back left tire wobbles. I look at it and when i wiggle the tire it is loose by the red hub part conected to the axle. What they hell can I do here also. Much info is welcome Thank you
:ermm:

thrasher_ex
04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
what kind of air filter do you have?

about the tired, are you sure all of the lugnuts r tight? might b the rim bent too....

JOEX
04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Wash the air filter with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly from the inside out. Let it air dry then relube with the proper oil for the style of filter.

The part thet is loose is the wheel hub, not uncommon for the 400ex. Pull it off, clean the splines, slap some grease on them and put it back on. Torque it to 101# ft., if the holes for the cotter pin don't line up continue to tighten till they do and put in a new cotter pin. It is very important that the cotter pin is installed, that's what prevents the hub nut from coming off completely;)

wheelinforlife
04-25-2005, 09:27 PM
It is a K&N filter. What oil do i put on the filter when done cleaning? What kind of grease do u put on the hub? Thanks for the help guys!

Eddiesanders250
04-25-2005, 09:31 PM
i think its called the K&N recharger kit. thats what u need. giver you oil and cleaner for it

JOEX
04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
You can get K&N filter oil at most automotive shops...

Any general purpose grease will work for the hubs, pick it up at the same automotive store you get the filter oil from;) :D Don't forget the cotter pins too!:)

Joe400ex
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
dont sweat it man my buddy flipped mine upside down in a pond and the quad was all the way under. just flushed the oil put a k&n but thats cuz i was going to change it anyway and it will be fine

Joe400ex
dont sweat it man my buddy flipped mine upside down in a pond and the quad was all the way under. just flushed the oil put a k&n but thats cuz i was going to change it anyway and it will be fine

Joe400ex

wheelinforlife
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Sweet... How about changing my back break pads? Is this to hard to do? Do i have to bleed them out? Lately my 400ex just has not been taking off like it used to. What could all the reasons be? my bad back brakes? The loose back wheel hub? Damn all this maintenance with toys lol.

plkmonster2
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
You don't need new pads unless they are thin. It's an easy job though. I think there are 2 12mm bolts that you take off, and it slides out. Then you pop the pads out, and install the new ones with the shims. If it isn't launching, your clutch could be slipping. Go down the road, put it in 5th gear, and get it up to rpm. Then gas it. If the motor seems to rev faster than the wheels wind up, then your clutch is slipping. It is real easy to notice, because you'll hear your motor wind up like it's going faster, yet you aren't going any faster.

wheelinforlife
04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Well I think my clutch is slipping. What do i need to do to fix this? and how much will it cost?

maynard22
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Do a search or find a good mechanic.

04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Make sure you have free play in the clutch cable. If it still slips with the the correct freeplay in the cable then you're goin to have to purchase a clutch kit and install the new one. If you've been riding with it slipping for a while then its probably glazed.