PDA

View Full Version : fmf exhaust leak

frogdaddy
04-25-2005, 05:41 PM
hey i just got a SST pipe for my 88 250R and it leaks around the short part where it connects to the cylinder and where it connects to the rest of the header. they have new rings in them. i have tried with and without rings, with and without silicone. i have done gave up anyone have any ideas? let me know.

thanks

Tom TRX250R
04-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I used to have a problem with my ESR pipe leaking right where the exhaust flange was. Are you running an aftermarket exhaust flange? If so put two new orange o-rings in and rotate the header pipe onto the exhaust flange so the o-rings stay intact. Also put some hi temp silicone all over the exhaust flange and where the two pipes connect. After doing this I haven't had one leak. My .02. Tom

frogdaddy
04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
thanks, but i am running the stock exhaust flange, do u think i need an aftermarket one? cause i can pick one up if i do. and the o-rings can i just get them at an auto store or do i need to order through ESR or someone?

thanks

Tom TRX250R
04-27-2005, 07:49 PM
I would go with the aftermarket flange. Whichever brand you go for, ESR for example, just get a half a dozen extra o-rings for rebuilding your R or if you have to tear the top end off. You will probably have to get them through the company you buy the flange from because I have tried just regular o-rings and they melted and leaked within 30 mins. of riding. Go with the orange colored high temp. o-rings.

250R Baja Rider
04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Your best bet is to use the aftermarket flange.

If you use hi temp silicone, wait a day for it to dry completely.
Your leak should not come back.

And yeah, get the orange o-rings. They are made of hi temp silicone.

Before installing the pipe on the flange, check for burrs or metal shavings. Grind them off or sand them off. This way you will not destroy your o-rings as often.

frogdaddy
04-28-2005, 05:14 PM
thanks for the replies, i am going to order the flange and the o-rings next week. maybe this will fix her.

thanks

baseballplaya23
04-28-2005, 05:19 PM
i have the same problem but i have no idea who makes my exhaust flange. it is aftermarket tho i know that much and i have LRD Pipe and Silencer. who could i go thru to get the O-Rings.

250R Baja Rider
04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
All o-rings are the same for the flange.

Call ESR or LRD. They should have them