PDA

View Full Version : yfz vs 450r for mx

pred67
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I currently race a 2003 predator with quite a few mods, this fall i am looking into one of these quads, due to the fact that preds now lean more towards trail riding. I will probably keep the stock suspension, although i will widen it, get a pipe, cam or cam mod, high flow airbox setup. I am a mid to upper B rider, 6'1'' and around 215Ib.

Scro
04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
if you are going to keep the stock suspension...i would go with the yammi

bad01300ex
04-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh man, if i had a dolloar for everytime someone has asked which one is better. Ride both of em and see wich one you like, the honda tends to be more comfortable for larger riders but you might like the yfz better, of course if you ask about it in the yfz section, thats the answer your going to get. Both of em can kick *** on the track if you are good.

pred67
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
bad01300ex, yes i did realize that this has probably been posted before, and I did post this question on the 450r forum also for equal biased opinions, and I thank you for your opinion.

YFZCHAMP
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
I am a multiple time champ on a YFZ, I have a friend that is almost the same exact size you are and he won the 4stroke B title
recently. We moved the handlebars to make it more ergo for him. Ride the Honda then Ride the YFZ450 I think you will choose the yammie but, As a bigger fella you just like the ergo of the honda better.

However, as the Yamaha puts the power to ground much better if your going to race, the honda will not carry your weight as well competitivley as the YFZ450 (power to weight ratio is very important).

best of luck with your selection:cool:

gasboot
04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
coming off a pred to one of these is going to be like losing 80 lbs. in 1 day- have a yfz & love it, mods are alot cheaper also-

YFZCHAMP
04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
I agree with the post above the weight difference from the predator to one of the other 450's will make you feel like feather weight, best of luck out there.:cool:

PurePerformance
04-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I know some people in forums are biased with their answers but ill be honest with you.

Id get the YFZ for MX and the 450r for XC. The YFZs weight distribution is more suitable for MX and the responsive motor would be the perfect weapon. While the 450r is good with its brakes, softer suspension (if keeping stock) and taller ergos make it perfect for XC.

Your pick:cool:

PurePerformance
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I know some people in forums are biased with their answers but ill be honest with you.

Id get the YFZ for MX and the 450r for XC. The YFZs weight distribution is more suitable for MX and the responsive motor would be the perfect weapon. While the 450r is good with its brakes, softer suspension (if keeping stock) and taller ergos make it perfect for XC.

Your pick:cool:

roostin_dale
04-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Personally, i race MX. I had a yfz for 6+ months and switched to a 450r. The yfz has a load of more power. But im 6'3 and the yfz is THE MOST uncomfortable thing i have ever rode, honda has a much nicer feel to it and i like the suspension alot better(LT suspension) With a little motor work it will rip with the yfz's. Plus, john natalie and Farr are spankin the yfzs, lol. So really its your decision, both are nice!

Fred55
04-27-2005, 08:06 PM
I raced mx on an 2003 Predator for 2 years and just switched to a 2005 yfz a few months ago, i couldnt be happier, its just so much easier to ride fast on, is way lighter, better suspension and handling and the power is a lot better for mx. I'm 6'2" and it doesnt feel cramped to me....just add new bars and be done with it!

YFZCHAMP
04-28-2005, 09:08 AM
I am all about the YFZ, I changed the shocks to after market and this puppy really flies now, But unlike most of you I am small in stature being 5'7 and 139lbs, I don't have the same problems about ergos, my main one was the stock shocks were way past stiff for me ( I bounced often) I softened them all the way and won the title, I went to Elka and was even faster. I was recently sign by WORKS PERFORMANCE SHOCKS to run the PRO Black Widows, I will keep you posted. AS far as mx goes the YFZ is the hands down best you can get get off the showroom floor, honda and suzuki have to put alot more into thier quads just to bring them up to the YFZ pare. So the fact that NAt' and FARR are doing well, is due to rider ability and honda's deep pocket book.

If I was 6'3 I might have choosen the honda too if I was not racing. :cool:

panteramatt
04-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Listen, Im 6'3" 230# and I rode both. I bought the yfz for a few reasons. Electric start, felt light and easier to manuever, looks a lot better, easy and cheaper to make it go faster. I did however feel better with the ergo's of the 450r but after raising the stem 2", getting lower ac pro-pegs, and a softer and higher seat I feel a lot more comfortable than the 450r.

YFZCHAMP
04-29-2005, 09:17 AM
You a man after my own heart, I fixed mine in my own way and I could not be happier:chinese:

Out_Sider
05-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by YFZCHAMP
I am all about the YFZ, I changed the shocks to after market and this puppy really flies now, But unlike most of you I am small in stature being 5'7 and 139lbs, I don't have the same problems about ergos, my main one was the stock shocks were way past stiff for me ( I bounced often) I softened them all the way and won the title, I went to Elka and was even faster. I was recently sign by WORKS PERFORMANCE SHOCKS to run the PRO Black Widows, I will keep you posted. AS far as mx goes the YFZ is the hands down best you can get get off the showroom floor, honda and suzuki have to put alot more into thier quads just to bring them up to the YFZ pare. So the fact that NAt' and FARR are doing well, is due to rider ability and honda's deep pocket book.

If I was 6'3 I might have choosen the honda too if I was not racing. :cool:

not to sound like a dick, but roostin could probably run circles around you on a track, so the "If I was 6'3 I might have choosen the honda too if I was not racing." comment wasn't needed

YFZCHAMP
05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Not sure what your point is, but if you think you could beat me on a track, your welcome to try, I would not count on it though, But I welcome you openly anyway, I ride for love of the game, not the trophy at the other end. However, I podium every race and have for 4years in MX, won the 4stroke A class by 37points. Hell, you might be grease lightning on the track, I just don't care....

MR.BIG
05-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Are you running national events or a track in your town? Oh yeah I guess all those guys that are running for yamaha's team don't have enough skill to beat the guys on the honda!

YFZCHAMP
05-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Are you running national events or a track in your town? Oh yeah I guess all those guys that are running for yamaha's team don't have enough skill to beat the guys on the honda!

Right: unlike sponsored guys, there are always the loud nobodies, who can't do anything but run thier tongue raw, step up and win any class anywhere and then talk.

Yes I race some nationals, did well too:cool:

I never sweat people like you "baby small"

PurePerformance
05-07-2005, 05:46 PM
YFZCHAMP, not to be in your arguement ..

But how is the bumpsteer on your bike ? You got some major offset wheels there man. Invest on some +2 a-arms/4:1 wheels.

Out_Sider
05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
YFZCHAMP im not sayin i could personally beat you, i have alot to learn in racing, this being the start of my 2nd year on my 300ex i doubt i have the skill or rider ability to compete, even tho i am currently leading my class in points and compete with yfz's and 450r's and beat them, i am sure that is rider not quad. maybe next year when im 16 and move to a 450 we could meet up? all in fun of course

quadjeff
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey guy's

YFZCHAMP thinks he is the best... He rides his local track.. What else needs to be said (just ask "MR TITLE GUY") THIS GUY IS ALWAY'S BRINGING THIS KIND OF SMACK TALKING TO EVERY FORUM...

I have 2 honda's and think the best quad for you is just that "Your Choice, ride both quads" They are both excellent quads. Enjoy whichever you choose...

450Rcarbonpro
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Well boys, I own both quads fully modified. Im 6' 200 lbs. I have to be honest It is a toss up for me. I do primarily race my honda at crosscountry events. The YFZ's motor characteristics are much more exhausting. In a 1 1/2 hr race I will always finish first on my honda. But on the motocross track both bikes are even when fully built. I can handle 15 solid minuites on either about the same. Here is another dilema I put flex bars on my yami so I could try it at crosscountry when my honda is under construction. Holy crap god made those bars. Now even at crosscountry. But I don't have them on my honda yet. I personally feel more comfortable on the Honda except when jumping. The Yami just jumps better period. If ergos are a question get a plus 2 stem problem fixed. Motor build is cheaper on yami. About 1000 in Yami and 2000 in honda motor. Yami is still barely faster but should not be after I install my ne Whitebrother rev box. I bike length as most. Also Yami has stock cam honda does not. You have to change the honda cam. Stock cam is like a 400 ex with a pipe. Weak. I like the characteristics of my honda engine way better. Feels like it is pushing you not pulling you around the track like the yami does. With all that said I still wouldn't pick one over the other. Get both, I did. I practice on both bikes weekly. Also my Honda motor is 99 percent what tim farrs motor is. I deal with baldwin often.

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by quadjeff
Hey guy's

YFZCHAMP thinks he is the best... He rides his local track.. What else needs to be said (just ask "MR TITLE GUY") THIS GUY IS ALWAY'S BRINGING THIS KIND OF SMACK TALKING TO EVERY FORUM...

I have 2 honda's and think the best quad for you is just that "Your Choice, ride both quads" They are both excellent quads. Enjoy whichever you choose...

Come on Jeff, you know damn well I have not beaten you or Brandon, or a list of other folks, But I never ride or race with being the best in mind, Until last season I was racing a blaster against 4stroke and 250R and doing okay. Think I am the best, not even close, but atleast I try to enjoy the ride. It is my guess you don't know who I am, not that I care. The only reason I ever even looked at these forums is because the rays and Mike A told me to check out some info, I gave my opinion on parts and tracks and ergos. I am much smaller than you jeff so I like my yfz, you are faster on your 250R than the 450r BTW, again my opinion. I have talk with you at the various tracks in my area, and you seem like a pretty nice guy, but perhaps not... I respected you for your ability and track suavey, and I never talked **** about you or anyone, ALL I said if you cared to read it more closely is who is the fastest rider, who cares, wait ooh, I did say that!

I am not all that fast as you say, but I that wont keep me from riding.

EITHER way , TO EVERYONE, LOCAL OR NATIONAL IF YOU GET TO RIDE AND YOU LOVE IT, THEN GO FOR IT.

signed:
Mr tries really hard (which is enough for me).

:cool:

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by PurePerformance
YFZCHAMP, not to be in your arguement ..

But how is the bumpsteer on your bike ? You got some major offset wheels there man. Invest on some +2 a-arms/4:1 wheels.

It does have it's moments and yes you are so right about the bump steer, I have +2 arms ordered, but do to low budget, and only discounts from the A-arm sponsors, had to save up like most guys to buy them. I run a Denton stabiler, and I am a lite weight so I do okay.

Your opinion is worthwhile, I respect that unlike other folks, who if they don't understand your meaning they trash you.

When I get the new arms, I will let you know if I get any better on the track.

thanks for your comments

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
YFZCHAMP im not sayin i could personally beat you, i have alot to learn in racing, this being the start of my 2nd year on my 300ex i doubt i have the skill or rider ability to compete, even tho i am currently leading my class in points and compete with yfz's and 450r's and beat them, i am sure that is rider not quad. maybe next year when im 16 and move to a 450 we could meet up? all in fun of course

Amigo, you (anyone) is welcome to come out, If you whip my butt, than I am happy for you. Apparrently, everyone is missing the F-ing point, which is: COME OUT AND RIDE ANYWHERE, AT ANY LEVEL TO INCREASE OUR PRESENCE AT THE TRACKS!!!!!!.

Jeff who is very fast and I have raced him ( I took second behind him more than once, but don't recall beating him) seems to have missed that I WANT TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO COMEPETE. Yes I have had some minor success, but I only started racing in my mid 30's, I never rode a quad before that, that ONLY means I am willing to try. I am not the stuff, I am too old to ever be the stuff, I start way to late, Maybe my young friend that will be you...

best wishes always.

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 450Rcarbonpro
Well boys, I own both quads fully modified. Im 6' 200 lbs. I have to be honest It is a toss up for me. I do primarily race my honda at crosscountry events. The YFZ's motor characteristics are much more exhausting. In a 1 1/2 hr race I will always finish first on my honda. But on the motocross track both bikes are even when fully built. I can handle 15 solid minuites on either about the same. Here is another dilema I put flex bars on my yami so I could try it at crosscountry when my honda is under construction. Holy crap god made those bars. Now even at crosscountry. But I don't have them on my honda yet. I personally feel more comfortable on the Honda except when jumping. The Yami just jumps better period. If ergos are a question get a plus 2 stem problem fixed. Motor build is cheaper on yami. About 1000 in Yami and 2000 in honda motor. Yami is still barely faster but should not be after I install my ne Whitebrother rev box. I bike length as most. Also Yami has stock cam honda does not. You have to change the honda cam. Stock cam is like a 400 ex with a pipe. Weak. I like the characteristics of my honda engine way better. Feels like it is pushing you not pulling you around the track like the yami does. With all that said I still wouldn't pick one over the other. Get both, I did. I practice on both bikes weekly. Also my Honda motor is 99 percent what tim farrs motor is. I deal with baldwin often.

sounds like a great bike, good luck out there.

MR.BIG
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Seems to me yfz champ you are the one talking smack. I asked you a simple question and you got all testy! I can ride very well and I used to run flattrack on my 250r and I got 2 for the season. It obvious that you are the baby small, little man!

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Seems to me yfz champ you are the one talking smack. I asked you a simple question and you got all testy! I can ride very well and I used to run flattrack on my 250r and I got 2 for the season. It obvious that you are the baby small, little man!

Your probably right, been having a crappy go lateley. If I am not totally mistaken you wanted to know how I made out against the honda 450r riding fellas, On a dry or semi dry track, I beat all of them (that raced my class, I am NOT saying I can beat anyone, NO!!!!!) In the mud, it was 50/50 the honda boys (gentlmen) hooked up better than I did.

I have raced alot of different tracks, some for just grins, I love to ride, I have had some very poor luck at times, but I stuck to it in the series I ran and won the overall, mostly because I didn't miss any races and did the best I could everytime.

Congrads on the runner up on the flat track placing, I have been thinking of trying that, in Castle rock at the flat track there, but my gearing is all wrong at present, and I don't know squat about setup so I guess, it just jump in and see if I like it.

Best of luck to you and fair weather!:cool:

MR.BIG
05-12-2005, 02:58 PM
No problem dude everybody has bad days!You should try flattrack or tt it is a blast. Well good luck this season! I was suppose to go riding at the hatfield and mccoy trail system have you ever been there?

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Well yfzchamp that wasn't me. All I wanted to know it what tracks you are racing at that's all. You should try flattrack or tt it is a blast. Well good luck this season! Sorry if you took me the wrong way!

I appreciate you exceptance of my apology, sorry I was being a jerk.

So tell me as an experienced Flat tracker, what is a good set up to help me stay on the track, I am not going to try to win any races until I know if I can just stay on the track and maneuver safely. I am not the out of control type, even if I have to be last, I want to stay on top of the machine not the other way around

thanks for any tips you can give

MR.BIG
05-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Well first off its expensive! You will need tires I prefer the mccreary or american racer. I have used hoosier but I prefer the mccreary because I could get good traction and corner faster. You will have to get yourself a swaybar if you like it. All you need is tires to try it but they are about $70 a piece that's why it is so expensive to get started. You will probably have to regear it depending on the size of the track. The yfz has a great top end pull so you should probably do pretty well once you get used to it.

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 03:41 PM
What size are you using on your honda(?), also where do you get the wheels or do you used stanard atv wheels with specail tires? More: where do you personall get the tires?

thank for the tips, IF I get it together, and make it to a flat track race, I will let you know how I did, and if I am suited to this type of racing ( I am not choosy or snobby as long as I can ride) but I do not like GNCC type racing, very hard on the bike and I could not afford all of the repairs and parts it would take to be any good at it. I did try it, did okay but I opted to give graceful acknowledgement that I am not good at it, and let those who have what it takes , take the track, I just cheer.

thanks, when are you going to race again, Are you going to do any og the GN_TT nationals this year?, If so post some pics of you doing your thing!!!!!

:D

MR.BIG
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
No racing this year. I sold my 250r last year. I could race the 450r but I will have to buy tires and a sway bar again because I sold everything off. I got my tires from ronnies mail order I ran 18x10x10 american racer flattrack tires.I ran regular itp 190 rims nothing special or you can use beadlocks but I never had any problems with the regular rims.
I would love to get my 450r out on the track but I just bought a new snowmobile and I am building new house so the finance's are kinda of tight right now. My friend owns a quad shop so maybe I can borrow some of stuff but I will let you know what happens. Good luck its a blast!

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
You have alot on your plate, good luck with the building and the girl, perhaps it would go your way if your friend loaned you some gear, Looks good when your shop is behind the guys on the track.

I think the first flat trachk event is this weekend, but I have swingarm issues (mine is broke , huge jumps last sunday) so I will have to try to hit the next one.

good luck