PDA

View Full Version : show me a good 40-50cc mini!!

jlhughes750
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
My boy Jake keeps tearin up the powerwheels quads. We made a deal recently that if he follows through with a few household things(eating all his dinner and sleeping in his own bed) for 2 weeks, we would get him a new quad...

I really do not want to spend the $ on another plastic electric quad for him to destroy so I think I'm gonna get him on a real quad.....we went to the local dealer and he sat on the KFX 50..He could reach the floor boards easily and could stand with out the seat gettin in his way too much....he said he felt comfortable, the levers are small enough, he liked that... he really liked the fact that he will have a real thumb throttle instead of the foot pedal like on the powerwheels!!!!

Any suggestions as too which make or model works the best...not interested in setting up to race,we just need a good back yard quad till he's older, and if he wants to race then we'll cross that bridge!!;)

joshridina400ex
04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
look at the alpha sportcobra mini 50. its a really good bike witha great price. one cool feature is that is has a remote kill switch so it your boy gets outta hand you can turn the bike off.

ex kid
04-25-2005, 12:55 PM
J, the shop i used to work at sold Etons as well as Yamaha's and Suzuki's. the most popular mini quads we sold were Etons. the 40 and Viper 50 are pretty cool. they both seem very reliable and easy for kids to learn on. the only parts people really needed were replacement plastics and bumpers from kids learing how to ride. the 40 is really small and the 50 is a little bigger. if i remeber correctly ALL of the Viper models (50,70,90) have hdyro rear brakes and a kill cord and leash from the factory. the other thing i like about them, is that when the time comes you can cut the throttle limiter wire and those things FLY.

Arctic Cat Dad
04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Stay away from the suzuki 50 and the kawa, 50 . They are built very good but they are powerless and the transmission stinks in them. Go with the eton 40 or 50 the 50 is pretty small and is a very good mini.

Pappy
04-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
Stay away from the suzuki 50 and the kawa, 50 . They are built very good but they are powerless and the transmission stinks in them. Go with the eton 40 or 50 the 50 is pretty small and is a very good mini.

thats some good advice;)

wvspeedfreak
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
We made a deal recently that if he follows through with a few household things(eating all his dinner and sleeping in his own bed)for 2 weeks,we would get him a new quad.

Ha,that's the same deal my wife made with me on my last quad.:D

Seriously though....I think the E-ton would be a good choice.

maggiesboy
04-26-2005, 08:02 AM
My son has been riding and racing an Eton 40 for over a year. Remote kill fob to shut'em down when he gets suddenly independent:D the machine has held up really well through flat track, TT, and some local mx tracks. there is no wire cut to discourage resale value, just UNPLUG THE REV BOX (red wire) to gain some speed. If you look for more speed, Yamaha PW 80 sprockets (rear ones) have the same bolt pattern, (you do need to open the holes up about 1/16th of an inch though) These little bikes fly with 31 tooth rear sprockets on the rear. He is competitive in the 0-60 cc class on a 40 with this exact set-up. The main advantage to a 40 vs a 50cc Eton is the machine weight. The 40 is just at 125 pounds (really good for the little ones) the 50 is over 200 pounds. Only 6cc difference between those machine too! Down fall of the 40 is you need to build your own pipe. Nothing on the market as of yet.

Hope this helps out. Bill

One more note......Pull start only, Jr isn't going to start it up and go ride by himself. I thought that was a good idea as well!

here is a couple of bad pictures of little man doing some TT racing.

maggiesboy
04-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Brandon jumping his 40 during a TT race.

ohski
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I was looking for a 50 not long ago but decide on gettin a 70. It's a 2005 eton 70 to be exact. it is bigger like was said in the last post, it is actually the same frame as a 90. That was a big selling point for me... this way he can grow into the quad some. Then we can mod it out for the little guy if he wants to race.

He is 6 by the way... here is a pic.

Wade

Quad12
04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I could post a pic of my duaghters Alph Sports Minin Cobra if someone tells me how.

She loves it and I do to no problems at all with it.

efilnicafesin
04-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I think that the Eton 50-90 are the same frame... I bought the 50 for my 5year old, and he has been doing very well with it... I made him run with the throttle very restricted, but took out the screw in the snow for him to get the extra revs.... he has been riding this spring so far wide open, and has only scared me a few times... he likes speed. The dealer cut the wire for me without me even asking when I bought it last year... :D I wanted to get away from the mini minis, cause they grow outta them so fast. There are many upgrades available for this to make it a bigger engine when this one is outgrown.

Arctic Cat Dad
04-26-2005, 06:15 PM
You never said how big or how old your child was. But here is a 7 year old 44" tall and weighs 70 lbs on a Arctic Cat 50. I bought it for him on his 6th birthday. It has been put thru the REAL Michael test. This quad can not be tore up! It has over 30 XC and MX races plus well over 200 hrs of hard riding and still runs very strong.

04-26-2005, 07:41 PM
i have the suz 50 for my 5 year old and like said the power was horible!! it was a good thing at first to get him used to it, but, this year he's racing so i opened up the intake and ported the motor a little. wow it has a very god amount of power now:D everyone says the tranys are junk but this 1 works prety good, although i know u can't mod it. as for the e-tons 4 of my freinds have kids racin then this year 2 50s and 2 70s all have had stupid problems. cables, elect, trany, choke. i'll settle for a little less race ready and more reliable :macho

QuadJunkies
04-27-2005, 01:10 AM
ETON all the way when it comes to a 50! :macho

ohski
04-27-2005, 04:57 AM
The 2005 eton 50 is more like the 40 than the 70/90. Smaller frame and different wheel mounting than the bigger 70/90 units.

This is only for 2005 up anyway, eton's website does not reflect this but we have seen pics posted here.

Wade

BTW, my friend jason has had a eton 40 for ~6 years now with no problems.

foleyit
04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Another good 50 quad is the Kasea. Depending on how big he is, you may want to see if he will fit on a Kasea Skyhawk 50. It has has brake levers on the handlebars, and it also has a foot brake for the little one that can't squeeze the brake levers. Like other it has a throttle limiter, and there is a restrictor located on the slide in the carb. The Skyhawk 50 is the same frame and plastic on their 90cc quad. My daughter started out on one of those electric powerwheels and she got a quad at 4.5 years old.

Good luck!

Greenroom
04-29-2005, 11:28 AM
What about the DRR 50 that has been running strong this year. From what I have read many are protesting this bike in the stock class because of it's increased performance. I have a 3 1/2 year old that is waiting for his little ride and I keep eyeballing the DRR. It's wider for 05 and appears to be a good starting point for upgrades.

Quad12
04-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Can I get this to work? If so this is my daughters Alpha Sports Mini Cobra.

Quad12
04-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Here is another pic, this was her 4th B-day present this March, she loves it. She says she is racing at Red Bud in 2 weeks, I can't wait....

jlhughes750
04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
awsome pics and info thanks

medicallen
05-01-2005, 11:24 AM
JL my best advice is to shop around for a quad you like, they all have there pluses and minuses and are for the most part very reliable and easy to maintain. I would opt for one of the auto trannies(some of the cheaper ones have gears), floorboards,and the other safety devices, It is a bad idea I believe to buy a quad expecting your child to grow into it. Would you but a 3 and half foot tall 4 or 5 year old on a 90cc dirtbike? or a 50 to 70 cc dirtbike with a bigger frame. Just asking for trouble, match the control size and bike size to your child, when they out grow it sell it and buy them a bigger one. you can replace the quad but not the child. Safety is number one. After all you don't want your kiddo growing into their new wheelchair.

maggiesboy
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by medicallen
It is a bad idea I believe to buy a quad expecting your child to grow into it. Match the control size and bike size to your child, when they out grow it sell it and buy them a bigger one. you can replace the quad but not the child. Safety is number one. After all you don't want your kiddo growing into their new wheelchair.

Well said. Thats is the exact reason my boys have an Eton 40 and an "old school" LT50

mxmike17
05-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Quad12
Here is another pic, this was her 4th B-day present this March, she loves it. She says she is racing at Red Bud in 2 weeks, I can't wait....

Nice bike! She looks very happy.

Good luck in Red Bud:macho