PDA

View Full Version : squeaky suspension on a 8 month old 400ex

05-16-2002, 06:52 PM
my front end squeaks like a newlyweds box spring!
any suggestions?:confused:

RED121572
05-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Hey bud, sorry to hear about your squeaky front end. Its prob the shock pivot mounts have lost there grease.

Every other month, Ill remove the shocks and A arms off my quad. I then clean up the metal bushings and dust seals on the A Arms and shocks. Next, I coat everything is grease. Finally, install everything back together. Doing this regularly will dramatically lengthen the life of the suspension and shock bushings. Yea, its a pain and time consuming....but heck man, you just spent six grand on that thing.....so start wrenchin!! :D

One last thing, i put together a web site over the winter. Its got some of my 2 cts on maintaince. Check it out if you gotta couple of minutes. You can find the link on my personal info page on this website.

Sparkles
05-16-2002, 07:40 PM
i have the same problem

Striker49
05-16-2002, 08:07 PM
Same here, I have been meaning to grease mine but im just to lazy I guess. Im afraid that if I take it all apart ill never get it back together. :p

Razorback
05-16-2002, 08:13 PM
it's pretty common for the front shocks to squeak like that. it happened to me and several others i've seen. just keep them good and clean and wd-40 them after washing. that made mine quit squeaking so much.

RED121572
05-16-2002, 08:27 PM
You can use WD-40. But keep in mind, WD-40 is not water proof and doesnt come close to prevent metal to metal contact.

Would you use WD-40 in place of your motor oil in your car?

honda400exrider
05-17-2002, 06:41 PM
GREASE DAT MOFO!!!!
:devil

Sparky416ex
05-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Hey red i admire you, i do the same. I take everything off after about 8-9 rides and grease it. I just did it not to long ago. Squeeke was gone. I take very good care of both my quads. We park our truck outside so our quads can go in our 2 car garage. I need like an 18 car garage then i could fit everything.

Originally posted by RED121572
Hey bud, sorry to hear about your squeaky front end. Its prob the shock pivot mounts have lost there grease.

Every other month, Ill remove the shocks and A arms off my quad. I then clean up the metal bushings and dust seals on the A Arms and shocks. Next, I coat everything is grease. Finally, install everything back together. Doing this regularly will dramatically lengthen the life of the suspension and shock bushings. Yea, its a pain and time consuming....but heck man, you just spent six grand on that thing.....so start wrenchin!! :D

One last thing, i put together a web site over the winter. Its got some of my 2 cts on maintaince. Check it out if you gotta couple of minutes. You can find the link on my personal info page on this website. :)