PDA

View Full Version : Senior Project Ideas- lets hear yours

speedy400
04-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Title expains itself, I gotta start thinking of mine. I was thinking either instal a turbo or a flame thrower(out of the exhaust) on my 1982 GS850l(4cyl motorcycle). But I'm not sure about a turbo, its plenty fas the way it is.-darren

speedy400
04-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Oh yeah... haha forgot some schools don't do this. Here for our senior year you do a year long project usually consisting of about a grand spend then you write a 7 page paper about it near the end of your senior year, you need it to graduate, pretty big impact on your grade. I have heard of people making their own dirtbikes, painting there cars, building stuff, ect.-darren

m_townsgreatest
04-25-2005, 11:11 AM
yeah put a flame thrower in it......but make sure it is legal to ride still. it isnt that hard to do u just need to find out where the flame stops in the exhaust and run a gas or kerosene line to where it stops....but be careful u need to put it right at the end.
u might want to try deisel fuel so it doesnt expand just catch and burn more

chucked
04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by m_townsgreatest
yeah put a flame thrower in it......but make sure it is legal to ride still. it isnt that hard to do u just need to find out where the flame stops in the exhaust and run a gas or kerosene line to where it stops....but be careful u need to put it right at the end.
u might want to try deisel fuel so it doesnt expand just catch and burn more wtf??

44oEX
04-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by m_townsgreatest
u might want to try deisel fuel so it doesnt expand just catch and burn more

man diesel won't burn if there is no compression

TheFontMaster
04-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
man diesel won't burn if there is no compression

Shure :rolleyes:

chucked
04-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Shure :rolleyes:

Then proove it,

TheFontMaster
04-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Then proove it,

You cvan't be serious that it won't burn without compression, On an old episode of trucks, I thougt he was making a flamethrower out of a fuel ingeting nozzle tester and I thought desil was in it. It's gas so shouldnt it burn?

chucked
04-25-2005, 01:57 PM
You cvan't be serious that it won't burn without compression, On an old episode of trucks, I thougt he was making a flamethrower out of a fuel ingeting nozzle tester and I thought desil was in it. It's gas so shouldnt it burn? haha, go get some diesel and try to light it,

speedy400
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Can't blame him, I always thought diesel burned under normal air pressure... Guess I learn somethin new every day.... Anywho, I think I'm gunna ditch that quest, I have dual mufflers on bolth sides at the moment and itsounds real nice, I figure if I want flames shooting out of the mufflers you'd want velocity at the endcap. That would take away the deep grunty tone that I have worked at so much to accieve the way it is. GIMMI SOME MORE IDEAS!!!!thx-darren

EDIT- velocity=ventury(sp?), ventury=small sound waves,short sound waves= high piched sound.-darren

TheX1992
04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Try the spark plug trick for flames. Drill and mount a spark plug maybe 4-6 inches from the end of your pipe, hook it to a coil and a switch, rev it to maybe 4-6k rpm's, let off and hit the button. Since you don't have a cat it will take the unburnt gas and light it, throwing flames out the rear of your bike. But this is definately not the 'safest' thing for the life of your bike. I know this thread is going to get some debates, so let me just say that I know that it is harmful but it is just another cheap way of doing it.

speedy400
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
haha yeah I've heard of that idea, btw the bike redlines at 9 grand...Spoze it would be pushing out some good air at that point...Keep siome ideas comin-darren

44oEX
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
You cvan't be serious that it won't burn without compression, It's gas so shouldnt it burn?

well the thing is that it's not gas it's oil, you need compression, that is why diesel's don't have spark plugs, and they run at like 18:1 compression

TheFontMaster
04-25-2005, 03:22 PM
That would make a good science fair project the gas/desil thing. Ya learn something new every day.

speedy400
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Wait a sec this dosnt seem right, my dad just told me they used to use diesel for burning brush piles because it burns slow, and even if diesel is a oil, oil burns just peachy, harder to start, but it sure does burn without compression.-darren

CUZ'n
04-25-2005, 03:30 PM
i datin a seniorita wif da jugss:muscle:

FTR250Rnif
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
Oh yeah... haha forgot some schools don't do this. Here for our senior year you do a year long project usually consisting of about a grand spend then you write a 7 page paper about it near the end of your senior year, you need it to graduate, pretty big impact on your grade. I have heard of people making their own dirtbikes, painting there cars, building stuff, ect.-darren
mu school does the same thing. its a bunch of BS huh? lol. i did Action sport photography. it came out pretty good. all fancy and ****. ended up with a 89%.im happy with that. just glad its done. BTW tricounty RVTHS has 8page min now:eek2: glad im already done with mine:devil:

Pvt. Maggot
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Don't you have to have a certin number of hours?...Ours is weird..I have to have 60 hours, which sucks..it gets higher and higher every year, My friends only have to do like, 40..Psh..I'm only in 10th grade but i'm getting some hours in this weekend..the easiest and most awsome way, Having a benifit show, And my bands playing..I'm just gonna have another next year to finish my time, Goodluck with yours, Also..Don't you need to raise money for a charity of some type?..I don't know if its a requirement..But I know we have to put in hours doing community service ect. Show for disabled vets is our show this weekend. :)

dunnonuttin
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
my friend wantin to make a pencil sharpener out of a 454 with a 6 speed tranny:huh

Stevie-D
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
i'm currently working on my senior project. we need about 25-30 hours of work, an explanation of what we did, and documentation (pictures) to prove that we did the project.

i'm building a go-kart for my senior project.
it started out as an old frame that i picked up for $50. its a narrow one-seater. i torched off the rear end, which had a small axle and differential on it. i then re-did the rear end, and am mounting an axle off of an old trailboss onto it. i have the axle held on by the bearing carrier for now. i have to run some supports to tie it into the rest of the frame so it doesn't twist all to hell when i ride it. yesterday i torched off the front end. i lenghtened it by a foot so i can actually fit in it. today i worked on the front end. i have a piece of round stock across the front end, from which i am going to mount my steering knuckles and wheels. i fabricated 2 mounts for the spindles today. tomorrow i am going to weld them to the frame and figure out the steering. i still need to make new extended tie rods for it. then the frame is going to be gussetted quite heavily.
i am using a suzuki 185 2-stroke motor for it. i still have to make mounts for it.
once it is all together i am going to fabricate a gas tank and an oil tank that will mount to the rear of the seat. and last but not least, a rollcage will be built. i don't need to roll it over on my neck
once it's all finished, i am going to fab a body for it.
then comes paint and reassembly.

i've already spent a good 30 hours working on it, and i'm nowhere near halfway done with it. i'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

most people get pissed that they have to do a senior project. if you do something that you enjoy and are good at, it can be a lot of fun.

i've seen people paint trucks, restore tractors, etc... i was actually going to restore a 78 thunderbird that i have, but i don't have the cash for it right now

ballisticpb
04-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I heald a paintball turney for my senior project

chucked
04-26-2005, 06:50 PM
When I had mine, I think I was already done with everything this time of the year.

quad_400ex
04-27-2005, 03:58 PM
when i did mine we only needed 15 hours to pass but that was 2 years ago. i went antelope hunting in montana for a week then did my paper on gun safety

yfzgirl72m
04-27-2005, 05:46 PM
i am not in HS anymore but my friend made ramps for his Dad to ride his Prairie up into his truck, i thought that was pretty cool. I saw the finished project and they were awesome, better than the one i have for my trailer. I don't know the other stuff he had to do or any other details. Just thought i would tell you all though. Good luck on your projects.