PDA

View Full Version : stock carb size and what carb to get for mx/ and some trails?

250r rider 88
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
what carb size is stock and would your reccommend the ESR /Mikuni TMX 36 mm carb thanks

Eddiesanders250
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
34mm is stock. for mx probably a 36. ask zedicus

joshridina400ex
04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
i have a 38mm on mine.

ctrimmer_27
04-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Get the ESR 36 Mikuni, Its the best carb out there for MX and woods if you are looking for bottom end to mid pull.

baker250r
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
i got my stocker bored out to a 37... works great for me.

2StrokeFreak
04-26-2005, 10:27 AM
I run the Sudco Keihen PWK quadvent 36mm on both my R's. All I ride is woods. They work real good.

zedicus00
04-26-2005, 12:04 PM
get a kehin PWK Air Stryker 38mm. the A/S carbs hav extra fins in it to help direct airflow.

www.pro-flow.com for a new one or ebay a used one. dont buy it from esr, they r way over priced i think.

the fins make it so you gain low through midrange so you can use a bigger carb like a 38 and gain some on topend too. best of both worlds. (now if the made a 42mm A/S carb i would b set)

Eddiesanders250
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
if you have a 310 or 330 kit what will a 38A/S work or a 39 non A/S?

zedicus00
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
either. topend setups use a 39 or bigger non a/s. midrange an bottom end setups are fine with the 38 a/s

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
a 38mm is a compromise and choice, you get more grunt w/ a smaller carb and naturally more top w/ a bigger carb. A 36 or 37 is idea for mx and trails(not to mention your portwork!). The reason the 38AS carb is popular.. is b/c of the "happy-medium" they slightly get w/ the director fins directing the pulse over the needle jet, other wise its no diffrent than any other 38mm carb.

Theres a reason they went from a stock 37mm carb on the 85's and a smaller/ better design on the 86-on... for more low-end grunt

zedicus00
04-27-2005, 12:03 PM
the intake boot and reeds hav more effect on the low - midrange then what running a 38 A/S carb will... if yur worried about it run a 36 A/S. ive ran 39mm non A/S carbs on stock bore R's and had peeple tell me i was crazy. i liked the way it ran and didnt notice a drop in midrange. carb choice is more of a 'per rider' thing, like a pipe. as apposed to a 'this is THE BEST' thing. for an average all around rider nuthing is wrong with a 38 A/S carb.

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
the intake boot and reeds hav more effect on the low - midrange then what running a 38 A/S carb will... How do you figure this? the intake boot has to be there! and reeds dont play that much of the part, a minute tad maybe. you only have so many options w/ either you mentioned in the quote

I do run mine kind of like you, I run a 38Mik w/ the stock intake boot and I am happy w/ my low-mid, but thats by choice and riding style too, I do my best to compinsate anyway... 80% of R riders overcarb, that dont mean it wont run , just not optimal

Kind of like guys running stock carbs w/ stock jetting all season... they think a bigger carb will help when they'd chit themselves if they just jetted up the stocker properly

Teufel
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey Bro I have a brand new 36 Air Striker for sale if you're interested.

Teufel

wilkin250r
04-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
80% of R riders overcarb, that dont mean it wont run , just not optimal

"Optimal" is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.

You forget that 80% of ATV riders in general, whether they are riding a 250R or not, really only care about racing their buddies in a straight line, and who is fastest. They don't give a rat's a** about throttle response. For them, the bigger the carb, the better.

zedicus00
04-27-2005, 02:57 PM
yeah guys we r getting into arguing opinions more then anything but there is still some points to make. yes the intake boot has to b there but you hav some options. the stocker is better then the cr250 setup i bielieve. but thouse 40$ 'custom aluminum' ebay ones that mimic the boysen style are about the best for the $ BUT it is built cheeply and needs worked over. it DOES help.

reed spacers are a joke.

intake side of the reed USUALLY needs worked over. and reeds are VERY important as far as throttle response and power are concerned. i ran ported v-force 3's on a drag settup and loved it. but the reeds are so stiff they kill the bottom end, i tried the same reed setup on a midrange bike and imideatly removed it.

carb size while being important you are correct about the jetting. a properly jetted stocker is prolly better then running the jets that came in the used PWK 38mm carb you just got off ebay...

all theese little things can make a 1-2 hp difference and while that isnt a lot. quad + rider weight is usually only around 500lbs and 1 or 2 horse could mean holeshot.

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
"Optimal" is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.

You forget that 80% of ATV riders in general, whether they are riding a 250R or not, really only care about racing their buddies in a straight line, and who is fastest. They don't give a rat's a** about throttle response. For them, the bigger the carb, the better. LMAO... good point Wilk, I should know better... but try to shed some slight insight in hopes of some catching on!

Zed... I dont mean to sound like Im argueing, I think of it more as a debate;) If I didnt think what you posted was warrented.. I wouldnt respond man, If I thought you were a dumbass... I'd just come out and say so.. but thats definitly not the case, dont think Im pissing in your cornflakes man, I was more curious w/ your thoughts;) So.. I got 2 questions fer ya..

Is that metal intake manifold really cheezy, or does it just need to be modified for flow?

And also what were you saying about the stock reedcage vs the CR250? Are they the same? (like the stock atcs, trx's and fl350/pilots all are?), or what... Im asking b/c I was thinking about trying the CR unit out? Think its worth it.. or ? I was thinking about the Delta but constantly hear about broken reed probs, so that got me thinking about the CR or the Radvalve, Im runnin' the 2nd generation FMF Ram valve... which isnt too much diffrent than the origonal FMF.. which isnt really any diffrent than the stocker, tink the only diffrence is the color of the velocity block and the "cross" it has.

Whatcha think?

zedicus00
04-27-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah man i wasnt tryin to argue didnt meen to come off like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4545487604&category=43979&sspagename=WDVW

the intake on this carb is like the one i bought and i think thas the dude that sells them. it needs ported out for flow but it needed A LOT of work to make it flow right. the tubes intake side was squared off and the plate the tube was welded to hung down inside.

as for reeds i like the cr reeds but they dont line up with the trx boot or anything when mounted in a trx. so break out the dremel again ang open er up, match the reed to the boot, any boot you use you will gain a lil flow by matching the reed to it.

as far as brands of reeds i like carbon fiber v-force but if yur a low-midrange guy grab an fmf or a boysen dual stage.

i wish i woulda took sum b4 and after pictures of the inside of everything, i removed a lot of aluminum and plastic. there was enuf of a difference b4 and after to feel it by just riding it

pluss that aluminum intake has a cooling effect on the air as it enters the engine. (ive been told this...makes sence but i dunno how much it would help)

reed spacers like i was saying only work if you believe in the force.

hope that helps let me know if you need more info, i might hav my topend apart soon so i can try an get some pics

JTRtrx250r
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Very cool, Sorry if I came across that way... thanks bro!:cool:

I'd really like to try out the Vforce cage to be honest w/ you, but just have heard so many probs w/ broken reeds. Then I thought about just going w/ a Boyesen Radvalve b/c of that. I've been running this FMF Ramvalve cage for awhile and really wanna try something diffrent. An awesome guy from the forums offred me a CR cage, I was gonna give that a try but we decided against it in the end, so thats why I was asking what the deal was w/ the CR cage... in case I did get 1;) I definitly like the look of those alum intake manifolds, but really wanted to hear from someone that had 1, Thanks for the post Zed!;) :cool:

zedicus00
04-27-2005, 10:18 PM
get a v-force 3 reed cage for a 89 cr250. and one of thouse aluminum intakes. do the work you need to make them right and itl be a nice setup.